The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this isn't another 'I CAN HAZ PLASTIDIP' thread, but figured I'd share.

I have an '08. It has the 'sensusoft' interior. The reality is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to source the paint that covers the standard plastics to provide the same look. Not only does it have the texture, but it's not pure place - it's a VERY dark charcoal. I tried everything - vinyl paint, SEM stuff (great quality). Nada.

I bought one of LotusShii's custom glove box thingies. Matches the pre '08 black interior perfectly but NOT the '08 softtouch. So, figured 'try Plastidip'. It's reversable and peelable. And cheap!!

So, I did and got a PERFECT match and PERFECT feel. I'm blown away.

Here's what I did:

- Get a thing of black plastidip at Home Depot. NOT the rattle , but the small container ($5)

- Get a Preval spray unit ($5) at Home D. Grab an extra Preval power unit ($4)

- Get some Naptha or Xylene (it's a thinner). MUST be one of these - don't substitute at Home D.

- Get a plastic mixing cup with lid at Home D ($1)

- Ok, now to go DipYourCar.com and order a 'tinting kit'. It's like $15. You get 5 small containers of tint. You can specify colors. Get 3 white and two black.

Ok, you have your stuff, now mix it up.

- Take some of the black Pdip and dump it in the plastic mixing quart.

- Add some white tint. Add ONE DROP at a time. It changes the color quickly. Dial it in until you get your match. Add white here, black there. I was able to get it on the second rev. Stirring it up. Let it dry on the popsicle stick you use to stir. If it matches your interior, good to go!

- Now, once your color is perfect, bust out the Preval and Naptha. Put your mixed up dip and some naptha into the glass Preval car (its pre-marked). Go 50/50. It will be thin, but that's fine. Shake it up.

- Get whatever your part is to spray match. When ready, start spraying. Start with a VERY light coat. Wait 20 min or so between coats and build up about 8 coats or so (that way it's peelable).

The results are amazing. Looks and feels perfect and spraying it thinned through the Preval provides a MUCH smoother texture than standard Plastidip out of a rattle can. I LOVE Prevals - going back to my drum building days.

So, for very little money, you can match whatever parts you feel like matching on your interior.

Here's a pic of a filler piece. Crappy iPhone pic, but it matches PERFECTLY. I'll take more pics of the dash piece and when I get it in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, IPhone flash/cam did it no justice as I see the pics.

It's not blue like that. Trust me when I say the color matches the OEM coated interior piece PERFECTLY.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's a photoshop!

(Glad you got it worked out. I think this thread will be VERY useful for me in the future.)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. I you are doing smaller pieces (not wheels), I would do it through a preval. MUCH better and smoother finish vs rattle can

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I did the rattle can method on my dash. Mainly did it to match the plastic with the Tesla dash (it came painted vs the shiny hard stock plastic dash parts. There's definitely a technique to it... if you spray a little far, you get a textured finish. (I kinda like the textured finish and left it there on that cupholder piece in the back firewall) The good thing about PD is if you get texture, you can do another heavy coat and it all melts flat.

BTW, it bonds well, but its not permanent. you can claw it off if you scrape it with your fingernails too hard. The good thing is its so each to apply that you can fix any defects in a couple hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts