The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A PO of my Esprit at some point had striped the factory paint off of the OZ Monobloc and polished them to get a "chrome" look. In my opinion, they didn't age well and the car was loaded on the truck in the Minnesota snow and salt and had stained the wheels a bit in transit so I knew I could modify the wheels guilt-free.
Since I was taking the wheels and brakes off to work on the calipers I decided for ~$75 not much to lose in painting the calipers and plastidiping the wheels.
It was a bit more labor-intensive for the result I achieved but it does reflect the look I was going for. The Monobloc wheels are not the best if you want to show off the teeny OEM Brembos but its OK. And the best part is it's reversable. Hopefully, If I'm good, Santa will bring me a set of Futuras and a full PNM kit but in the meantime I will keep dreaming and this will have to do.
Let me know what you think.
Before:

After:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Very nice! This treatment would complement perfectly with a discretely placed JPS logo or color scheme. :cool:

Reactions: Robotech

·
Registered
170 Posts
Perfect!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great job!! The key with PlastiDip or any other brand is the surface prep work and to make sure you have a lot of thin layers applied so that way it will peel off easy. I have the Eastwood brand and really like it. I ran it through an el cheapo Harbor Freight HVLP gun with great results. If you have some trouble spraying, you can thin it up to like 20% without issues. I usually thin up to like 5 % to make it apply easier.

Dominick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robotech

·
Registered
63 Posts
The cost/benefit from that stuff really is hard to beat. You could "change" your wheels two times a year for about $50, if you were so inclined.

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
My wheels were dipped, as were the side skirts, front splitter, gas door, and rear lotus letters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts