The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the rather stupid question, but if I don't ask, it's just going to bother me. Is play in the gearshift normal (while it's in gear)?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure if it's normal or not, but mine will move maybe a quarter inch in any direction (with a light one finger touch) while in gear. Hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

I'm assuming :tadts:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if it's normal or not, but mine will move maybe a quarter inch in any direction (with a light one finger touch) while in gear. Hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

I think you're right, I tried it my wifes 2005 Mazda3 and it does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
All of them have play, its normal. Expect more play from transaxle cars

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

Same here.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
its the nature of the cable actuated shifter in our mid-engined car. Front engined cars allows the shifter mechanism to be mounted directly to the transmission(in most cases front engined cars have the transmission mounted directly under the center tunnel. In our cars, there is a cable system that connect our shifter to the transmission and there is slack and play in the linkage system. search for LETSLA, its an aftermarket shifter linkage that a member has designed to reduce the play and seems to get good feedback.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Not only is there slack/play in the cable system as mentioned above, the entire shifter console frame has play in reference to the car's tub/chassis

xtn.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts