The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get this a good surprise from my insurance company. I called them a week and a half ago to cover the car, they had no clue what an Elise was and it was not in their database. But after a lot of questions they manually entered the car and sent me an insurance card. The rate they quoted was a little short of $750 a year. I got the insurance card in the mail Thursday and noticed it said 1995 Lotus Elise. I called them Friday and explained the issue, the operator I got was the same one that helped me originally so as soon as I started she said she would correct the data. She then called back about 30 minutes later and told me there was an error. At this point I thought, here it comes they either won't insure an Elise (they figured out what it is) or the rate will be way higher. To my surprise she told me the annual rate was only going to be $530! Not bad at all!
The company I use is Electric Insurance.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
she left off the leading 1

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Their website qotes system does not have Lotus as an option.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i called them and they said they dont do lotus

also aig, geico, unitrin

allstate was ungodly high
so far progressive was the best at 977/6 months-- 100/300 500 deduc

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My insurance starts today, but no car yet. $434 :D I will need to check back with them once the paperwork arrives as it $200 less than my 5 year old Box and that doesn't seem right.
Glad I don't live in a big city!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just got added coverage for my Elise with Progressive and am paying $889/yr for full coverage on it. We replaced our 97 M3 which was like $545, so it was a $344 annual increase. Not bad at all.

We now have 4 cars on the policy (2000 911C2, 2003 Evo8, 1989 M3, and the Elise) and pay about $2200/yr for all four.

But, we've been with Progressive for years and we keep getting reductions due to our no claim history and clean driving record. Helps to be 35, married, live in the boonies, and have a spotless driving record (thanks to Defensive Driving!)....

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, Touring, Hardtop)
'00 911 C2
'03 Evolution VIII
'89 M3

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I just called my current carrier and they informed me they "don't insure special performance vehicles such as the Lotus Elise".
Guess I'll be shopping for a new insurance company next spring
too.

:(

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yep, I have been with Progressive for a long while now. BTW my $434 was for a year not 6 mos as some people seem to have thought. Utah has its benefits!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i posteed an insurance rate elsewhere but i got a pleasant surprise when i actually got the insurance. annual cost with state farm for 7500 miles and pretty good coverages and deductibles is $938. about 100 bucks less than originally quoted (but this is without the no accident discount in the original quote so it is more like 170 bucks less than expected). i left the discount on the spyder. oddly i pay the same insurance premium for the spyder as a daily driver as i will be paying for the lotus as a 7500 mile/yr car

·
Registered
468 Posts
insurance and kids

I have two drivers (one now and one soon to be) that are under 21. The quote was to include the new driver as well - in his own car. Can't write an exclusion for the kids. Keeping my 93 Miata as a back up. Daddy War Bucks gets to take the car to the shop when things go wrong and I ain't gonna let a 16 year old drive the Lotus to school. No one in the family has an accident or a ticket in the last five years.

$quote was ouch 2,500. Any one want to join me in starting an insurance business? Tons of money to be made.

have fun

Nick

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's funny Electric Insurance doesn't do Lotus, that's who has my policy! The Rate is $530, we have 4 cars wtih them, they would not do the Caterham though!
The person I worked with entered the Elise manually based on what I paid. It was not in their "system".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts