The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- I have been thinking abou this for awhile but have been fearful of everyone's reaction---- let me blurt it out----- CRUISE CONTROL!!! Before you jump on me please understand that I live in Nevada home of some really long long long boring straight two lane roads. On a couple of these the local cops love to set up speed traps since everyone does 20+ over the speed limit because there is no traffic. Not all police use radars so radar detectors are not that useful. I have found in my other cars I set cruise control to about 12 mph over speed limit and never have a problem. So can cruise control be fitted to the Elise? Any ideas who could do this? Thanks. And if you think I'm an idiot just move on to the next post. BTW how about cup holders!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Nay, it's not that bad. It's been brought up before. Most understand that it can be a useful item. Not sure if the Euro guys have looked into it. Pretty sure in the States the finer details of trying to add one will be address.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
it's really a fairly simple thing to wire up. the most difficult part is that someone needs to make a kit so the buttons are convenient and don't look like crap. I'm sure someone will address this when the car comes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My Evo didn't come with cruise control either. Didn't miss it. BUT I've driven to Vegas plenty of times and can say I hear ya there. Oh man those are some boring roads. Hell it's a boring drive.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't find it necessary - I drove 1100+ miles in one day without it on my Miata (from L.A. to Colorado Springs, CO).

On the other hand, I make enough drives across Nebraska and Iowa that it would be nice to have. I doubt I'll take the Elise on those long trips, though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Come on, this is the most fun I've had since I put my deposit down.....2 F'ING YEARS AGO!

·
Registered
468 Posts
tahoemark

I agree - but for a slightly different reason. On longer drives I have notice that my speed changes a little. But, the difference in CA between 74 mph and 76 mph is a ticket and a day in traffic school.

How much would the electronics for cruise control weigh? Measured in ozs not lbs.

I use the one in my Miata only once a month or so but, I am sure it has saved me from a ticket or 20.

Nick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rich said:
I don't find it necessary - I drove 1100+ miles in one day without it on my Miata (from L.A. to Colorado Springs, CO).
Driving 1100+ miles without cruise makes it very difficult to not flutuate speed or have leg fatigue. I hope you're not one of those anoying drivers whose speed flutuates between 60-80mph, due to refusal to use cruise control. These drivers pass, then unknowingly slow down, then you pass... then they pass...:rolleyes: ...very annoying:no:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have found in my other cars I set cruise control to about 12 mph over speed limit a

It's OK if you can set it to twelve miles per hour over the speed of a police cruiser in pursuit!

·
Registered
345 Posts
HOCKYDOC said:
Driving 1100+ miles without cruise makes it very difficult to not flutuate speed or have leg fatigue. I hope you're not one of those anoying drivers whose speed flutuates between 60-80mph, due to refusal to use cruise control. These drivers pass, then unknowingly slow down, then you pass... then they pass...:rolleyes: ...very annoying:no:
Refusal? You may want to re-read my post - as I said, I don't have cruise control on my Miata. I would have used it if I had it. I think I do a pretty good job of staying at close to a constant speed, but it's impossible of that period of time.

Not reading posts - very annoying. ;) j/k

P.S. - HockyDoc - what is your relationship to hockey? Any kids playing in college? If you happen to follow youth hockey in Illinois, there's a kid out there I'm really interested in seeing named Bill Sweatt. Hopefully he'll follow his older brother to Colorado. (sorry for the off-topic)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rich said:

Not reading posts - very annoying. ;) j/k

P.S. - HockyDoc - what is your relationship to hockey? Any kids playing in college? If you happen to follow youth hockey in Illinois, there's a kid out there I'm really interested in seeing named Bill Sweatt. Hopefully he'll follow his older brother to Colorado. (sorry for the off-topic)
You're right. Didn't read your post very well. Long night delivering babies (5 in last 12 hrs):eek:

My sons (16 year old twins) play in Belleville (So. IL); I play in an old man's league, and season ticket holder to the Blues. Don't know your friend; likely in the Chicago area?

BTW, my boys are thinking about going to CO, and trying out for the Air Force Acadamy team, if they still have an ice hockey program.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree with the first few responses. You should be able to get cruise control installed in your Elise by an aftermarket provider. I would also assume that such a modification might void the factory warranty.

It's an interesting bit of Lotus trivia that a past Managing Director (Mike Kimberley, I think) said that "no Lotus has ever had a cruise control -- and never will." Although he has not been in charge for some time, Kimberley's statement still reflects some of the core values at Lotus.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I hear you can get cruise control on a 5000 pound Cadillac. On a Lotus, you get burned at the stake for the very mention of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts