The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bothering me so I thought I'd post it.

I stopped by a Lotus dealer today and they had two Lamborghini Murcielagos in the front of the showroom. Their scissor doors were open and I was going to take a picture via cell phone of the interior. I was about 4 feet away from the car with no intention of going it in.

I believe the it was either the owner or one of the sales person came out of his office and then said, "please don't take pictures of the cars." I thought that was a bit rude BUT since my business there wasn't about taking pictures, I then talked to the other sales person about their Exige S in stock.

I did ask the sales person why I wasn't allowed to take pictures and turns out the Murcielagos were customers cars for sale.

So, was I wrong for trying to get a picture? For some reason, it's still sticking with me.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
That's totally lame. I'd tell em to call the cops if they didn't like me taking pictures. Then I'd invite homeless people to hang around the dealership...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I can't even count how many cell phone's a week are pointed out the window at me.

This goes along with the same stupidity of blanking out license plates of vehicles in pictures. Why? What's the point? If they don't want to be seen, don't buy a flashy car. If you aren't proud of your car the way it is, why did you make it that way or buy it that way? I appreciate when people ask permission to take pics of my car, but it's pretty expected. If you want to drive a super-flashy rare vehicle, EXPECT pics or go buy something boring like a Camry or a Bently.

Sometimes logic just escapes people, but I doubt you had an extra sign or two for them.

Btw, if they are for sale, what are the odds that there are plenty of pics on E-bay of those vary cars? You might look 'em up.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Does sound a bit extreme... I'm sure that there is a story or legality in the past that led to the policy.

It may not have anything to do with the actual "pictures" but your immediate vicinity in reference to the vehicle. If the vehicles are sold, they don't want ANY mishap major or minor that could lead to damage to the vehicle without the owner there.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's totally lame. I'd tell em to call the cops if they didn't like me taking pictures. Then I'd invite homeless people to hang around the dealership...
It's a dealership in Los Angeles so I'm sure they're homeless people in the area - just wearing designer clothing.

I suppose what bothers me is that this is the first time I've got to a Lotus dealership and received such an unwelcoming remark. NEVER happened at Scottsdale, AZ Lotus or (the former) South Bay Lotus - both have had $300K+ cars in their showrooms.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I lost count a long time ago of how many people have taken a picture of my car.
Its nice when they ask permission, but I don't get pissed off if they don't.
I do block out my number plate when I post pics though, just a personal pref.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Let me play devil's advocate.

Maybe they're afraid that the pictures are going to show up on a fraudulent eBay auction? :shrug:

Who knows?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Seeing that you were on their property, they could ask you not to take pictures. However, it seems following the sentence 'Please don't take pictures of the cars', they had given you a quick explanation why....it would have made all the difference. Sounds like they just handled it badly.

You can go out on the sidewalk and take all the pictures you want of their cars...then the only way they can stop you is to close the blinds.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I can't even count how many cell phone's a week are pointed out the window at me.

This goes along with the same stupidity of blanking out license plates of vehicles in pictures. Why? What's the point? If they don't want to be seen, don't buy a flashy car. If you aren't proud of your car the way it is, why did you make it that way or buy it that way? I appreciate when people ask permission to take pics of my car, but it's pretty expected. If you want to drive a super-flashy rare vehicle, EXPECT pics or go buy something boring like a Camry or a Bently.

Sometimes logic just escapes people, but I doubt you had an extra sign or two for them.

Btw, if they are for sale, what are the odds that there are plenty of pics on E-bay of those vary cars? You might look 'em up.

How about the more basic principle that when a car is in a damn SHOWROOM it's meant to be seen for public display.

Their rationale was this exactly: It's a customers' car and they're doing everything they can to respect whatever the customer may want. But at the same time, they're using it as a showroom piece of equipment; as a tool to sell cars. I wonder what they'd say if you had touched it...

I bet their attitude would change if you were interested in buying it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Let me play devil's advocate.

Maybe they're afraid that the pictures are going to show up on a fraudulent eBay auction? :shrug:

Who knows?

You make a good point, but they could have been nicer about it and perhaps indicated a brief reason.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Could they have considered it a security risk? As in: take pics, use the pics to learn about the car's anti-theft mechanisms...? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You were outside? Shoot away, there's nothing they can do. I'd love to hear their rationale. Now if you were inside that's a different story, but still pretty stupid.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Taking pics of a Lambo steals its soul.

As far as blocking license plates, I'm not sure what the reason is. I guess knowing your location and your plate number, somebody could call the local cops and file a wreckless driving complaint or something. Thats's something they're encouraging around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think not taking pictures is silly, but I have been in dealerships that get upset if you try to sit in the cars, I had one tell me that the leather was to fragile in an vanquish and they would appreciate it if I did not sit in the car, I said thanks for your time, but I am not interested in buy the car now if the leather is so fragile. But I do block plate as well just because I know how easy it is to trace a home address via a quick DMV search. I don't need the anyone on the internet to be able to get my home address and name. Just a precaution.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts