The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it started from this thread
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f348/bad-maf-sensor-110058/

basically... car was running fine until i had the 30k service done... maf was replaced... temporarily fixed the problem... same cel code came back a few days later. P0171. took it back and they said the maf was oiled up...

vacuum test was done to try and find a leak. no leak was found.

i took the car to see if i could find the problem. thinking it was my itg intake, although it's been working fine for 6 years... i tried maf cleaner to see if that would take care of any oil they said that was on there... didn't fix the issue

being frustrated with the car... i left the car alone and drove my daily for about 8-9 months...

2 weeks ago.... pulled the itg out, installed a topspeed pro-1 intake with an aem dry filter. got a new maf... and started it up... idle was really rough before stabilizing... check engine light came on... same code... took it to get some gas... drove it for the next few days and tried to see if i can find out anything... cleared the codes... and waited to see if the cel would come back and keep track of anything...

then i saw a different code... P0506 - idle air control system RPM lower than expected... i looked it up to see what others did... some people fixed their p0171 problem with replacing the o2 sensor... i haven't tried that yet...

a friend suggested that i get some fuel injector cleaner and pour it in the tank since the car has been sitting for so long... i gave that a try and no real changes...

i needed to get an inspection done so i cleared any codes and took it in... they said it wouldn't pass because i have to drive it to get everything in READY status... so i went back today which was about a week later... still having the cel light come on occasionally... the longest it went was 2 days without coming on... idle still rough on cold starts...

i had cleared the codes last night and woke up early this morning to drive the car around and get it into ready status... and hoped the cel wouldn't come back long enough for me to pass the test... i got it to ready status and drove to the shop... at a light my car stalled... maybe it was the low idle... i quickly started it back up and kept driving... i was still monitoring for any codes and made sure everything was in ready status...

i made it to the shop and everything was still good... no cel... everything ready... and i passed the test...

i talked to the shop and he said that it's probably unlikely that my o2 sensors are bad since i passed the test... he said if they were bad... then i wouldn't have been able to get them into ready status to pass the test... is that true?

anyway... here i am now... new inspection sticker... no cel as of right now... still idling rough...

codes i've seen

p0171
p0506

i would usually see either one or the other... but occasionally i would see them together...

another weird thing i've noticed it i would sometimes get a bunch of information pop up on the obd scan report... but they would all have the code P0000 - Engine Module Reports...

i would usually see about 10 of them... and at the bottom i would see either P0171 or P0506 or both.

but once i saw the first 2 on the list change from P0000 to
C2500 - no additional information available
B0207 - no additional information available

i definitely don't know what to make of that...

i'm also very close to saying F**K IT and take it to a lotus dealer and have them just find whatever it is and fix it... hopefully they can fix it even with the topspeed intake... i was thinking of putting my stock back on but it looks complicated as heck...

i had a shop other than the lotus dealership do the original tests like the smoke test and try and locate the problem... they work on lotus as well but i'm wondering if i should go back to them... or just go to a lotus dealer and pay whatever their price is...

any advice would be appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm using an innovate wifi reader... with the logworks app... i know there is a way to log things but i'm not entirely sure

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong:
P0171, too lean
P0506, idle air control system

The trouble is Lotus doesn't report correctly for MAF failure.
After you clean all the injectors, change fuel to good one.
If no leak in the intake side.
Then clean the throttle body, re-set the the ECU for the cleaned throttle body.
Replace a know good MAF sensor.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I am guessing you have a 2005. in 2005 the IAC was attached to the base of the throttle body. I have seen the IAC stick and throw a P0506 and give erratic idle numerous times. The unfortunate part is the IAC is not available seperate, the good news is that I have had about a 75% success rate cleaning it and fixing the car. this could also cause a lean code, but you wont know until you fix the P0506.

cleaning procedure:
- Pull the throttle body off the car
- flip it upside down
you will see a black electrical (3 pin i believe) connector
- remove the plate from the bottom of the t-body
- you will see a small opening were the IAC is visible
- clean with brake cleaner gently moving the IAC if possible....be gentle!
- clean mating surfaces well
- apply a very thin coat of RTV to one of the mating surfaces
- put back together
- Since the t-body is out anyway clean the inside of it
- put back together, clear codes
- start car, look for leaks and check running condition.

I havent done this in a while, this is all off memory, so if the instructions arent quite perfect I apologize.

good luck and let us know how it turns out. FYI, I think a new t-body is like $1200 so I hope this works as well for you as it has for me in the past.

T.J.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
never mind, I just saw your sig line that is is an 06 Exige. disregard, that was for 2005 cable t-body cars.

on 2006, I had this issue, you need to see what your t-body % is at idle. over 16% is no good. you need to clean your t-body, but then you also need to reset the t-body. I had this on a car recently. idle was surging hard and stalling at lights after the client cleaned his t-body. i reset basic settings and the car ran like a dream. BTW, I reset the t-body with a Lotus scanner. not sure how you would do it without one, but someone may have a way.

T.J.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can the throttle body reset be done using the Innovate OT-2 ?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep... 2006 exige...

no lotus scanner... just the ot2...

i think cleaning the throttle body is a little out of my league unless i had someone help me and teach me... so i'm back to trying some simple things... or taking back to the original shop who did the smoke test and found no leaks... or putting the stock airbox back on... perhaps that is causing the issue now...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update:

i've been dealing with this problem for a while now... i've been on and off on trying to figure out what the problem was and i've definitely been taking my sweet time with it.

there were a few options i still hadn't tried.
1. clean the maf, and put the whole stock airbox back in (
2. replace the o2 sensor since it may be faulty
3. keep the itg intake and install a new itg foam filter

i had the parts needed to do either of the 3.

i went with #3 since it was the easiest to do on that particular day.

i cleaned the maf and installed the brand new itg pre-oiled foam filter. i put everything back in the car, started it up. cleared any codes that were there. and took it for a spin.

it seemed to drive just fine. no rough idle like before. no cel light.

the next day i took it out again and the cel came on. i was disappointed to say the least. but before giving up and going to another option, i wanted to try one more thing. i was needing to fill up on fuel and the fuel that was in the car had been there for a while... so i was thinking a fresh tank and clearing the code may change some things...

currently i'm at the end of my 3rd full tank and needing to go fill up for my 4th... the car is running just fine and no cel light.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Can the throttle body reset be done using the Innovate OT-2 ?
No, it will not

If you hook your OT2 up to a computer, you will have a very powerful tool. You can log short and long term fuel trims. Along with TPS and MAF and your O2 sensors and about 10 things I have no idea what they are

I thought the OT2 was cool but not very useful as the log file from your phone is hard to read, but with a laptop it is incredible. You do not need a serial cable. Just a standard USB cable like on a printer. It will say it can't find a serial cable input when you start it, but when it is open click connect and it will come up as a USB connection. It helps to have the key on

Very important!!! Do not have your phone connected to its wireless or the USB doesn't work. Why, no idea

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bluejae,

FWIW, I had a similar issue with my '05. In the middle of an autox run, my CEL came on (P0171). I cleared the code the next day but it came back on the day after that. Intending to clean the MAF I gassed up and drove to get the cleaner. After some highway driving, the CEL went out and (knock wood) hasn't come back on. I figured it had to be the gas issue.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You might try putting in some water remover in your gas tank. I had that problem once, and it caused some CEL problems (don't remember the code). Use the isopropyl type of water remover, not methanol.

If you haven't cleaned the throttle body yet, it is easy to do. Just get some throttle body cleaner and follow the instructions. You have to remove the air intake from the throttle body, but that isn't hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts