The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked for 2 Gerbils for my room, C, I and S all want a Ferret. Dad said maybe on the Gerbils as long as he doesn't have to take care of them like he does S's fish. Mom said no way on the Ferret because they stink. BUT, Mom and Dad said we can get a dog at the end of the summer! :nanner2:

I know Dad's favorite dogs are the Tosa Inu, Dogo Argentino and the Rottweiler, in that order, but he said no to any of those while there are still kids under 16 in the house. He offered for us to sleep in the tree house until we are 16 if we want one of those dogs. We saw Greyhounds from a rescue and my Grandparents have a neighbor with Greyhounds. They are really pretty and Mr. D's dogs are awesome. Their back legs are bigger than my Dad :). Dad said none of us can run fast enough to catch one if it sees something a mile off that it wants and he has no idea how Mr. D trained his Greyhounds to come back.

He wants us kids to do some research to figure out what dog would be the best. Then we are going to try to find one at a shelter.

So is there anyone who would be willing to give some advice on what types of dogs we should research?

Mom and C have some allergies. Dad likes "real dogs, not rats." We still have some little kids in the house (I'm almost 12, C is 9, I is 7 and S is 5). We live in a neighborhood but our backyard is woods forever. It's like 200 acres and then national park land behind it so there is plenty of running room. Dad said we're not fencing in the entire yard and no invisible fence unless we have a contest to see who can stand over the fence the longest while wearing the collar. He's a dork.

Thanks for reading,
J

·
Registered
485 Posts
Do you like ponies?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think a pony would work. Mom said we have to pick up all of the dog poop in the yard. I don't want to pick up pony poop. I've seen how much comes out at C's horseback lessons. Yuck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
With the amount of land you have, you might consider a larger animal that lives outdoors. Then again I understand the whole cleaning up poop thing.

I am not familiar with dog breeds but I am sure others here will chime in shortly.

What about snakes. They are clean and don't poop too much.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Jack Russell terrier..........they're crazy !

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C found a black snake yesterday and Dad said if she could catch it she could keep it for the day. It bit her twice but she got it. It didn't hurt her because they don't have teeth. It rattled it's tail at her and that scared her really bad. We've had rattlesnakes in the backyard before. Dad took a picture of the one that was about a foot away from him before it started to rattle. He came running out of the woods so fast I almost wet my pants laughing. Mom thought he was trying to scare us pretending to be a growling bear coming through the woods. Dad told her he was just glad he didn't sound like a little girl when he was screaming. Anyway, Dad said a lot of snakes will shake their tail because it's a warning but they just don't know that they've lost their rattles.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Take a look at the President's dog. He is a portugeuse water dog. They love kids, running, and riding in sports cars... That dog had a BMW Z8 in his former life... They are also hypoallergenic, (that means you won't sneeze around them)

A falcon would be really cool too!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
My sister in Seattle had a Jack Russell. "Had" being the operative word. One day he rocketed out the front door, never to be seen again. I think he boarded a freighter for parts unknown.

You can train any dog, but it takes varying levels of effort depending on the breed. Old greyhounds are so happy to be retired, they basically like sleeping and curling up in a giant "dog ball" wherever you happen to be.

Dogs love ferrets! In fact, they love anything low to the ground that runs erractically in terror. You may be replacing your ferret on a regular basis, depending on the dog. Again, training would be the key to a successful ferret/dog living arrangement. But if you've seen those pictures of parakeets sitting on housecats heads, you know it can be done.

I believe the perfect dog is any dog you give lots of love and guidance to. It will be well-behaved and and reward your efforts many times over.

Gerbils are easy to care for, but they're also easy to misplace.

All pets require your care and attention, with the exception of the pet rock (which people actually bought in the mid-70's!).

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snakes aren't pets......snakes EAT pets. -poke-
:( Yes they do. We've had an entire Robin's nest full of babies, a bluebird's nest of eggs, 4 little rabbit kittens and a sparrow's nest of eggs all get eaten by black snakes in the past 3 years. C saw the snake eating the Robins. Dad said trying to stop it was useless because snake spit is toxic to birds. Dad found the baby rabbits when he was mowing the grass. He and Mom took us out to see them the next morning just in time to see the black snake swallowing the last one. The bluebird eggs got eaten out of our bluebird house last year and the sparrow eggs just got eaten out of one of Mom's ferns on the front porch.

I don't want a snake.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That pet rock is pretty funny. Why did people buy them? Couldn't you just glue some googly eyes on a rock from outside?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ms. RacyTracy,

Thanks for the link to the Greyhound thread. I asked him if it would be hard to train a Greyhound to come back. I think Dad was really worried about one running off.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Grandma had a Portuguese Water Dog. I forgot about him. He was named Saci. That name's from a Brazilian story about a one legged kid. That dog was always in their pool.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The list so far is Jack Russel terrier, Greyhound, and Portuguese Water Dog.

Snakes, falcons and ponies don't count.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I have a West Highland White Terrier and he is super cool. (he's basically a white Scotty dog)
Don't get ferrets. They stink. My friend has 2 and 2 sugar gliders and I can barely stand to go to his place, I'm not even kidding- it'll make your eyes burn. Even when he thinks they don't stink, they stink.
West Highland White Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How you not gonna like this guy?
(not mine but looks the same)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Hey Roadkids, long time no see...

In my house we have:
2 dogs (labradors)
2 cats, one for the house, one for the barn
2 bunnies, one for the house, one for the barn
1 hamster
3 cows
1 shetland pony
6 ducks
4 horses (last time I checked, at least)

so I know a bit about what I speak. Cats are alright, but with a bunch of kids, you want something that will play with you, not sit there and stare at you. Ditto with the small rodent like creatures, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits etc. No fencing means no horses or ponies. My advice, get a dog.

I agree with your dad, rat dogs are useless. We had St. Bernards, but they were too big for little kids. Don't get anything that has a high rate of turning on you... the little Roadkids would be gone in one gulp.

Since your getting it at the pound, chances are you can't be picky about the breed but I'd go for something with energy to keep up with all of ya'll. I'd go with the working dog breeds, labs, pointers, sheep dogs, that kind of thing.

Is your dad going to LOG, by the way?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
This is Henry. Henry is very kind and gentle.

He is a miniature piebald long haired dachshund.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts