The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 2000 about 8 years ago and loved it; just got delivered a 2002 with almost 13k miles;car was checked out and has every record since day one!

The day I took delivery I had a hard time shifting into 1st mostly;or getting out od 1st, 2nd and 3rd were tought too; took it to dealer; says that the linkage needed adjustment etc, drove fine for about 3 days; today, could not get it out of FIRST gear? saw another thread on here about when the clutch gets hot, "clutch drag", etc, I do not know any of this but is the dealer wrong, could the clutch be gone at 13 miles or are the plates sliping from disuse or are the cables getting pinched?
THe rprevious owner was meticulous according to all records and his personal mechanic who said the guy had too much money and he had things done that did not need to be done, maybe from not driving it alot? And if I need a new clutch whats that run on a "02 V8? thanks dogdoc, Atlanta:(

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
There are far more expert than me people on here that will answer, but from what I have read on this forum and others, it could get be just dirt or rust on the splines causing the clutch to drag, something wrong with the hydraulics for the clutch pedal, shift linkage adjustment/wear issues, or it could be a worn clutch if it was abused because they seem to last from 25-50K on average from what I have read on the forums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx!

So its not an easy diagnosis, one step at a time for sure; UNLESS the Pre owner did not know how to drive a clutch I too would doubt its worn....dogdoc,atlanta

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is the trouble only when getting out of gear or when you try to get into the next gear as well? If it's both, is the trouble getting into the next gear that it's stiff to move, or does resistance build only when you are trying to engage the next gear? Any noises?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The best approach is to rule out any external factors to the clutch like shift linkage adjustments or clutch hydraulics. Once you can do that and you still have the problem you are probably going to have to replace the clutch. 13K is a little low but if the car was flogged on a regular basis the clutch could be gone. The clutch alone is over $2K, a flywheel is $1K and you also need flywheel bolts, about $70 and the pilot bearing. Just parts can be over $3K plus labor.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
If it's the clutch, check with JAE before doing anything. They have some options to save about 1/2 the cost of parts. I don't know anymore than that, but it's worth a call to understand what they offer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1.Does the clutch feel normal? It's not spongy, excessive travel, stiff, etc? If not, start with hydraulics.

2. With the car off can the car be shifted in and out of gear without excessive force? Can the car be rocked back and forth and be shifter into gear?

If it can be shifted in question 2 and the clutch feels fine I would lean towards the splines on the input shaft might be sticky ( dried grease, rust) and thus with the engine running the shaft stays spinning when you push in the clutch and not allowing the gear to be selected. When cars sit for a long time the clutch disc itself can stick to the pressure plate. Sometimes, with some running and heat things will loosen up.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thnx guys!

No, at first it was hard to get into most gears, after the linkage adj that all went away, BUT even in the beginning I had this "cant get out of 1 st gear? I did try to run thru the gears with engine off I recall, it did not want to go except to 3 and 4? It has NO grinding, no mushiness, engages easily when driving and does NOT even grind in reverse like so many report...thanks so much, PS anyone know anybody in Atlanta besides the dealer that can do this, could my Porsch guy likely redo this clutch?thanks, Dogdoc

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Even if your problem is sticking on the splines you still have to remove the transmission to get to the clutch. The big difference is that you won't have to spend a lot of money on parts. The other thing you should do is drain and refill the transmission with Redline MT-90 or the magic elixir Lotus has designated as preferred. At the very least you should make sure the level is correct. Even on a perfectly adjusted car 1st is not the easiest gear to get in and out of. If the clutch is worn out and you do really have 13K miles the transmission should be opened and inspected. For the clutch to need replacement with only this many miles the car has been flogged and you want to make sure the transmission and final drive is OK. Abuse can also be verified by downloading the ECU if you need to.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
No, at first it was hard to get into most gears, after the linkage adj that all went away, BUT even in the beginning I had this "cant get out of 1 st gear? I did try to run thru the gears with engine off I recall, it did not want to go except to 3 and 4? It has NO grinding, no mushiness, engages easily when driving and does NOT even grind in reverse like so many report...thanks so much, PS anyone know anybody in Atlanta besides the dealer that can do this, could my Porsch guy likely redo this clutch?thanks, Dogdoc
If you have a trusted mechanic, I would go with that guy over a dealer, but don't just leave it up to him to guess his way through it.

Take your mechanic a copy of the full service manual, and hook him up with the trusted parts suppliers/givers-of-advice like JAE (there are others). You might also want to offer to buy any special tools needed for the job that you keep afterward.

Dealers are rapidly losing inhouse knowledge of the Esprit, and they will charge you through the nose for the effort of one of their interns to try and figure out your car.

The bottom line is that if you want to own one of these cars nowadays, you are going to have to get creative on maintaining them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There are a few of us Esprit guys in the Atlanta area, but not many...Service options are a little limited also, unfortunately. On the other hand, we're pretty lucky to have access to LCU (Lotus Cars USA) and a few of the great guys there in Lawrenceville.

PM sent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts