The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m on the 405 freeway, between San Diego and LA, cruising at a steady 80 (allegedly), when a police cruiser comes out of nowhere and sits on my tail, about 4 feet behind me.

I decide there’s no point in slowing down at this point, so I start to rehearse my lines about the car being built by a bunch of drunken old gits in brown raincoats in Norwich (no offense intended) and the speedo being probably really inaccurate (or “adrift” for those lovers of British service department vernacular).

Anyway, still doing 80 (allegedly), he pulls up alongside me on the left, back behind me, up on my right, back up behind me, and finally back up alongside me on the left.\

“Doomed”, I believe is the word of choice on this forum.

Then he gets on his loudspeaker, says “That’s a fine looking vehicle”, and accelerates away into the distance.

Outstanding!

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Rob Ward said:
Then he gets on his loudspeaker, says “That’s a fine looking vehicle”, and accelerates away into the distance.
LOL! only a cop would word their statement like that.

you mean HE was the one speeding now? God forbid he give himself a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That's great - I guess there really are a few "enthusiasts" out there in the police force. :)

P.S. Rob, just curious - are you planning to get a radar detector in your new car ?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I trust you weren't so happy that you forgot to clean your pants ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I've never had one.

My last 2 cars have been a 225 TT Raodster and a "take me to jail" red Jaguar XJS Convertible, both of which i drove er..enthusiastically...and for some reason have only ever had one ticket, just recently here on the tollroad. 89mph, for which i went to traffic school.

I have been seriously thinking about one though.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A childhood friend of my boys is a local cop - he told me when I get the Elise he'll get some buddies (cop-type) together and we'll get on a stretch of road and let me open it up all the way - if they get some rides - they got a deal!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
mikester said:
That's great - I guess there really are a few "enthusiasts" out there in the police force. :)
Years ago, my brother, a police officer, used to try to get me to loan him the Elan one night so that he could speed through town and get his other cop buddies to give chase. I never let him.

He did say that the only guy that had ever gotten away from them was someone running a Europa...

Hmmm... My spell checker keeps trying to change "mikester" to "molester".:huh: :huh:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
cerven said:
A childhood friend of my boys is a local cop - he told me when I get the Elise he'll get some buddies (cop-type) together and we'll get on a stretch of road and let me open it up all the way - if they get some rides - they got a deal!

YOU BETTER CALL ME!!! I'll make the hour long drive for that!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Rob, funny thing a very similar thing happend to me years ago in my Europa in LA. Highway Patrolman comes out of nowhere and I am going very fast 80+, looks me over I figure I'm very busted. He comes on his loudspeaker and tells me it's a cool car and to SLOW DOWN. He took off and that was it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts