The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I just recently acquired Zaino z2 pro, z5, z6, z8, and the zfx accelerator. I was eager to try everything out and so the first car that I used the entire system on was a beautiful Krypton green Lotus Elise, which was in for winter prep. I offered to do a 6 layer package on top of a proper polishing to remove the fine scratches and swirls in the paint, simply because somewhere I read that the Zaino line starts to truly show it's unique properties in terms of overall appearance after the 5th coat. Unfortunately, my worklights went out after I started to take before/after pictures of my polishing process, and I have yet to see a sunny sky around here, so all I have is one set of before/after shots of polishing. Tomorrow calls for a mostly sunny day...let's hope I can get some sun shots of this beauty. So, here was my process:

Day 1:
-wash
-clay

Day 2:
-Paint was polished using an Ultimate Detailing Machine and a 3-inch, Sonus light-cut pad with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
-70% isopropl alcohol wipedown to remove remaining surface oils to ensure maximum bonding between Zaino and surface, and to check my work to ensure no area was "covered-up."
-z6

Day 3:
-zfx'ed z5 twice, each layer removed with z6
-one layer of zfx'ed z2 pro, removed with z6
-each layer must be buffed-off after at least a half an hour...I let the layers sit for about an hour since the temperatures were about 45-50 degrees in the garage. So, I cleaned-up the interior

-Zaino recommends 3 layers of zfx'ed sealant per day, with a 24 hour cure time after that, so on Christmas day the car receieved only a layer of z8, which really ampted-up the gloss and slickness of the paint.

Day 3:
-zfx'ed z2 pro three times, each layer removed with z6
-a few hours after, one layer of z8
-Starshield edges cleaned using Meguire's Clear Plastic Cleaner
-Black trim surrounding windows recieved Natty's Paste Wax
-Gills and Starshield recieved Duragloss Aquawax

And the pictures after all was said and done:

Before polishing:

After polishing, before any sealant applied:

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
There is not enough Zaino on the planet to get me to like that color.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
It looks nice, but I don't get the appeal of a product that takes such effort. From what I've read Zaino is largely a good product that has a hyped value. I've yet to have someone convince me otherwise.

However, the car does look great, no taking away from that!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lotusforsale...Have you ever seen this color in person? I think it looks alot better in person. People forget the fact that there are gold flake in the paint, which makes it very interesting in the right light. But, most of the time the color looks faded. But, to each his own. At least it's great for being seen in traffic. Thanks for looking :)

RegGuy...I've been asking myself whether or not all this time has been worth it...Well, time will tell. The main reason why I chose this process was durability, slickness, and simply because I wanted to see what the Zaino buzz was about. I've seen one coat of Z5 last for a year without any additional maintenance such as z6, z2, or z8, so I'm in the process of testing the whole line myself. I've got one coat of z2 pro on my daily driver, and I'm going to try to resist addiing anything else to it. I used z6 after a wash, but that's it and it seems to be doing fine still after a few weeks. I drove from VA to NY and my car was still pretty clean despite the long miles. I've also been looking around for a sealant that will produce the greatest slickness possible, simply because I like slick feeling paint. One coat of P21S/S100 is very slick in itself, but durability is low compared to other products on the market. I must say, z6 certainly increased the slickness of both z2 pro and z5, and then z8 made the finish even more slick! The surface is incredibly slick, and I will be interested to see if it remains this slick when I detail the car in mid-2008. I hope to have this protection last for a year...I'm almost certain it can after everything I did to it.

Lastly, thinking about it, well, I don't think the Zaino line is much more involved then any other sealing/waxing process. The alcohol wipedown is all that is really needed (a one-time only dawn wash is suggested if you are not polishing to remove previously applied sealants/waxes). Both z2 pro and z5 go on easily and come off even easier (on my list of easiest to apply sealants/waxes, I place Zaino #2 behind P21S/S100 and ahead of Klasse All In One), making it a time-saver in this respect. Additional layers are not necessary, but people do this with all sorts of sealants/waxes for a variety of reasons. Some sealants/waxes don't cure as fast as the Zaino line with zfx, which should also be taken into consideration. The process I applied to the vehicle should not be considered a "typical" job, so to compare it to other sealant/wax processes would be unfair. I feel that any sealant/wax job should be applied with similar Zaino philosophy (strip old protection on paint, polish first, then wax), but Zaino seems to be the only company that actually stresses this fact.

Whatever the case, I will emphasize here just like everywhere else...it's pre-sealant/wax prep, such as POLISHING that makes paint look it's best and not the kind of "SEALANT/WAX" used. A properly polished surface topped with $2 wax will look sooooo much better than an improperly prepped surface with a $10,000 wax. Thanks for looking and thanks for the comments friends of Elisetalk.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
three days to clean one tiny clown car?

obviously, i'm in the wrong racket :crazyeyes

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
lotusforsale...Have you ever seen this color in person? I think it looks alot better in person. People forget the fact that there are gold flake in the paint, which makes it very interesting in the right light. But, most of the time the color looks faded. But, to each his own. At least it's great for being seen in traffic. Thanks for looking :)
Yes, I've seen it many times in person, in both Exige and Elise variants.

Not at all a commentary on your work, I'm just not at all fond of that color. Would love to see what you'd do to a Starlight Black, Ardent Red, Burgundy, or just about any other color.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Tall ceiling.....time for a lift!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I've seen it many times in person, in both Exige and Elise variants.

Not at all a commentary on your work, I'm just not at all fond of that color. Would love to see what you'd do to a Starlight Black, Ardent Red, Burgundy, or just about any other color.
I never did think that you were commenting on my actual work, so, no worries there.

Yeah, you are completely correct...if I did this sort of detail job on any of those colors that you've mentioned, the results would probably be many times more stunning. That's the thing that I really don't like about this color...it does not reflect well. But, soon I'll have a supercharged Starlight Black Elise to play with! I can't wait to see how good that baby will look.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
now that must have taken some time to clean! that cars owner never cleans it, always looks like its being driven in Russia.

·
shay2nak
25,037 Posts
so fresh...so clean...

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i did the full zaino thing for the first time, on my yellow elise in the spring and i just have one thing to say about "zaino brothers"....

...heel yeah!!! awesome awesome awesome - cost about 2x more, the results are fantastic, and the stuff is very easy to use and the multiple "wax" coats - go very fast - i did my 3rd and 4th coats in less than an hour each. - still looks awesome. i am big fan of zaino now!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
What's with the Actual Size sticker on the back? :confused:
rotflrotflrotfl

much like his miniature "white pony" he feels the need to be honest about actual sizes of things....

rotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now rob...play nice!

Yeah...I timed my application of Zaino, and it took about 15-20 minutes per layer, and then 15-20 minutes for removal. I could of gone much faster, but I wanted to take my time to ensure even coverage.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
What's with the Actual Size sticker on the back? :confused:
I think that sticker is v funny.

But, I use a 2 step process: 1. wash, 2. dry.

OK, I actually apply wax twice a year. If ambititious, I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and 1 Grand Blitz wax, with a Crafstman machine (not the belt sander). Yes, I know it says Imperial HAND glaze.

I love silver cars...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know, I did 3 layers each of z2 and z5 with layers inbetween each application with their detailing spray... not only was it a total pain in the butt to go over the car with the detail spray after every layer of wax, the end result looked as good as when I just did a combo show car polish/wax job with meguir's, 4 layers polish 3 wax and no inbetween detail spray bs...

Both lasted 6 months before needing touch up, and both made it just as shiny for as long, but zaino cost way more and took way more effort... I was left very unimpressed - they have a couple new products now but how much they really add is beyond me... oh and yes I did clay bar before the zaino, and hadn't before I did my meguir's detail... guess my car wasn't very dirty since they both produced the same look in the end

If I was using someone else's credit card I'd pick zaino just to try their last couple additions to their detailing stuff, but really after seeing the difference for myself (at least on my car) I'd rather just drive down to autozone and spend a fraction on meguir's wax/polish

I do love their car wash product though! :sheep:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts