The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a little help please...so I went out and bought polk speakers for all around.
I bought a set of db521 5 1/4" for the front and db651 6 1/2" for the rear. Now I read I should have gotten db501 and db651s. Am I screwed? Anyone know if these will fit? Do I need Jim's speaker rings to ake these 5 1/4"s fit the front.
Please Help
Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
db651 fit fine in rear in my car, didn't need the "s" version. You need to use the polk supplied adapter ring and the polk grill though.

db501 in front fit stock screw holes and blaupunkt grill. Dunno about db521.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i believe your five-and-a-quarters will require adapter rings for the front mounting locations - the 501s are actually four-inch speakers...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just installed the Polk MMC 525's (5.25 inches) in front and the MMC 650's (6.5 inches) in the rear. I used Jim's adapters for the front with the supplied Polk grills (painted flat black to match). I did not use the included adapters for the rear speakers and used the Polk grills. Both pair required minor trimming of the dash and the rear panel to fit properly. I used a sharp razor to trim the dash after the metal reinforcement ring was removed and a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel for the rear panel. I believe the MMC series speakers may be a bit deeper than the DB series. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I just installed the Polk MMC 525's (5.25 inches) in front and the MMC 650's (6.5 inches) in the rear. I used Jim's adapters for the front with the supplied Polk grills (painted flat black to match). I did not use the included adapters for the rear speakers and used the Polk grills. Both pair required minor trimming of the dash and the rear panel to fit properly. I used a sharp razor to trim the dash after the metal reinforcement ring was removed and a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel for the rear panel. I believe the MMC series speakers may be a bit deeper than the DB series. Hope this helps.
How does it sound?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also replaced the head unit with an Alpine CDA-9886. The sound is far superior to stock. However, the bass response still is a bit lacking which is to be expected with no external amp and the minimal volume of the rear panel area. I have found in the short time that I have owned the car (3 months) that I enjoy listening to the "music" that comes out of the stage II exhaust more that what comes out of the speakers!:nanner:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sound of the polk

Wow I am very very impressed with the sound of these speakers. I highly suggest them....they are half price at circuit city. The back went in without cutting out any foam did have to trim a little of the black plastic. The front were a little more of a pain but defintely worth it

6.5 rear
5.25 front

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...did your car include the original blaupunkt speaker grilles, and are they in decent shape?..mine are too sun-warped to keep, but i'm looking for a clean pair to do this with my DB501s...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wow I am very very impressed with the sound of these speakers. I highly suggest them....they are half price at circuit city. The back went in without cutting out any foam did have to trim a little of the black plastic. The front were a little more of a pain but defintely worth it

6.5 rear
5.25 front
how much were they? The Circuit city here is lacking in both price tags and employees...If I can just go buy them for a decent price I will...but if I can beat it online I will go that route.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i believe that the 651s require some very slight fettling of their screw holes to fit the stock tap locations, but that's a second-hand account as i haven't gotten around to installing mine yet...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some answers...
I paid 49.99 a pair for both tthe 6.5 and 5.25 polks..
The rear plastic panel had to be trimmed but no foam needed to be removed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Some answers...
I paid 49.99 a pair for both tthe 6.5 and 5.25 polks..
The rear plastic panel had to be trimmed but no foam needed to be removed.
thank you:coolnana:

EDIT: well hell Circuit city here is out of everything. I suspect they shipped it off somewhere...looks way too stripped. Guess I'll have to watch ebay

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the db501 or db521. The price is the same.

db501: Can use existing Blaupunkt grill. No need for Jim's speaker rings?

db521: Needs Jim's speaker rings and Polk-supplied grill?

Am I right about this? Is there going to be a discernable sound difference by moving to the 521 instead of the 501s? I'm not an audiophile, but my ears still work OK :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...yes, you're correct on both counts - but the 501s are actually four-inch speakers, so you'll get much better bass response up front with the larger 521s...

...that's not a problem if you balance your amplifier to route all the lower-frequency sound to the rear speakers (and/or subwoofer), though...

·
Registered
224 Posts
...yes, you're correct on both counts - but the 501s are actually four-inch speakers, so you'll get much better bass response up front with the larger 521s...

...that's not a problem if you balance your amplifier to route all the lower-frequency sound to the rear speakers (and/or subwoofer), though...
Hmm, I don't plan to get a subwoofer or amp. I plan have them install an Alpine CDE9880R head unit (4x50w). I don't know much about this stuff -- can I configure a head unit to route to certain speakers based on frequency, or are they not advanced enough for that? Maybe I should indeed consider the 521s.

·
Registered
821 Posts
word of warning - Don't let the pliers hit the windshield when yanking out that metal ring in the dash. a small tap can cost you 1200.00

I'm not admitting to anything...but it might have happened.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm very happy with my 501s for now, even without the subwoofer, if that helps...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts