• I currently own a Lotus.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I currently own more than one Lotus.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I have owned a Lotus in the past.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I have never owned a Lotus.

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • I never wanted a Lotus until the Elise.

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how many people are current or previous Lotus owners. Sort of chronic vs. newly diagnosed Lotus affliction.

Brian
CO Elise ordered

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've owned my '72 Elan Sprint since '76...;)

For a while back in the late '70s I owned a Lotus 20 Formula Junior that I was planning to take vintage racing. Getting married and buying a house got in the way of that plan. But my wife refused to let me sell the Elan (to get a down payment for the house), and she was the one that put down the deposit for the Elise (as a birthday present) over two years ago...

Tim Mullen

'72 Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange over Cirrus White (that's it on the left)
'05 Elise ordered - Chrome Orange

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I had a '70 Elan +2S (Type 50), supposedly the first one in the US. I bought it in '71 from a TWA cargo pilot who saw it at its introduction at the London auto show, arranged for the purchase of a LHD model, loaded it on his plane and flew it home. After a year, he realized it wasn't a great daily driver in the Chicago area and sold it to me.

It was a love/hate relationship for the entire time I had it. The factory maintenance manual was my savior! The nearest "dealer" was over 100 miles away and the "dealership" was an old two bay gas station with only a couple of used whatever cars on the lot. A couple of local mechanics that worked on the car told me to "never bring that car back here!"

But, any of you who have driven the Elise understand why one puts up with the dark side of Lotus ownership. Anyway, I'm sure the ownership experience is much improved over what it was then.

I've only seen three or four of these cars since then, most recently at the annual British car show near San Diego...same color as mine was.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My first car out of high school was a Lotus Cortina. I didn't own, but spent alot of time driving a buddies Europa. I was in the process of searching for an Elan, a TR250 or a Sunbeam Tiger when I discovered the Elise.

Steve

·
Registered
670 Posts
TimMullen said:
I've owned my '72 Elan Sprint since '76...;)

For a while back in the late '70s I owned a Lotus 20 Formula Junior that I was planning to take vintage racing. Getting married and buying a house got in the way of that plan. But my wife refused to let me sell the Elan (to get a down payment for the house), and she was the one that put down the deposit for the Elise (as a birthday present) over two years ago...

Tim Mullen

'72 Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange over Cirrus White (that's it on the left)
'05 Elise ordered - Chrome Orange
Cool site Tim I enjoyed reading your Elan story.

Steve

·
Registered
465 Posts
Own a 91 Elan (M100) purchased with 6030 miles from an older gentle man who raced Bugatti’s and Maserati’s in the 1930’s! The car was, is in pristine condition. I now have 35K miles. White with a dark gray interior.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've always wanted an Esprit, maybe the redesign, after I get my Elise fill. :)

Who am I kidding, I can't afford the Esprit, but I do love that car. Hope to see it rise from the ashes again soon. Hopefully my Elise purchase will help bring that about. :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I owned a Europa, the first car I bought right our of college. Wish I hadn't sold it, a terrific car. But the reason I sold it was the guys in the 7s would always beat me in autocross. So I got a 7, it is not going any where any time soon, a great car!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Meat,

Your car looks sexy even under the cover. Damn, I want an exige!
Wait a second - I thought the chicks were thinking I was sexy - it can't be the car, can it????

:cool: :D

MW- When you are in Chicago let me know and I'll give you full access to the car.....:p ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I owned an '86 Esprit for a few years. It was a great car, but it definitely wasn't a good car. Very fast, and wonderful handling. I've always liked the way the old knife-edge Giugiaro Espirits, personally find them more interesting than the Peter Stevens redesign.

But wow, that car was like a bad relationship. Constantly breaking down. Just when I was fed up and ready to throw in the towel, things would get better and I'd fall back in love. I averaged $700 in parts per month (I did most of the work myself). I still miss that car. But am confident that the Elise is a significantly better car. Otherwise I'd keep my money.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I really like the Esprit, but never pictured myself owning one, so I voted "I never wanted a Lotus until the Elise."

-Eric

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
XconZ said:
I really like the Esprit, but never pictured myself owning one, so I voted "I never wanted a Lotus until the Elise."
Ditto here, I thought of them along the same lines as Ferrari etc, i.e. very nice and very out of acceptable price range.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
After 51 votes I'm still the ONLY person with more than 1 Lotus in the garage? Hmmmm... I didn't realize how seriously infected I am...:(

KHamai
64 Elan S1.5
66 Elan S2
Lotus 41 F/B
SVT Lightning - tow vehicle (puts a grin on my face on the way to work...)
ex-Seven
ex-Europa S2
ex-Europa S2
ex-Elan S4 FHC
ex-Esprit S1
ex-X180R
ex-M100Elan
....that confirms the diagnosis. SICK-O!

·
Registered
963 Posts
XconZ said:

-Eric
You are too young to have seen the Lotus in the James Bond movies. That car was the first car I ever wanted as a young kid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts