The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if 48K is to much for an elise? After test driving one, I had more of go-kart feel than world class automobile. I was wondering if any one else felt the same way.
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,083 Posts
Yes, but that was what I was expecting and wanting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Well, what is world class exactly? Is it the perfect car with a lot of refinement? I had a 911 that had steering with too much kickback, noise and a general lack of refinement. It also had weak A/C and heat. I decided it made more sense not to have a car so rough around the edges. I swapped it for a car that was pretty much perfect. It was a stylish, reliable, well-built audi TT. It was quiet and pretty quick and handled great. Plus it had great 4wd traction for when the roads were slick and an awesome warranty. Tons of luxury too. Automatic climate control, xeons, heated seats, leather. It did just about everything any reasonable person could want.
I guess I'm not reasonable because I couldn't stand it. I dumped it in 6 months and went back to a 911. Some people love that go-kart feel and would rather have that over refinement. It all depends on what you are looking for.
BTW- I'm currently driving an '88 Porsche, made before they added lots of options and weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Given that the car looks great, handles amazingly and is hand assembled by Lotus, I am quite happy with the sticker price, and still think that I am getting a bargain, even if it is costing me $5K more than I originally thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
have to see it

For me, I'll have to see it before I buy it. I don't think the price is too high. As a matter of fact, I think that even at 48k it might be just right. However, at this price, just as others on this forum, I have begun looking at used car alternatives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
If the price were too high I would post in another forum, as I would no longer have any interest in this car.

As things are, I think it's a deal. Think about this:

What other car that is also a viable street-car could one buy for even double the money that gives the same or better feedback hand handling as the Elise?

What other handmade cars are available that are streetable at this price or even double, that have the same badge kudos as the Liz?


While Vettes and Porsches (neither handmade) are, no doubt great, they won't give the same feedback as the Elise.

So what does that leave you with?

Come late April I will let you know exactly what it is worth, as will others:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
I'm quite satisfied with the price, they promised a car under 40 K. and even the though the dollar has slid (17% last year alone) against the pound.
Amazed they could deliver.
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Derek

I agree with you 100%.

The car is worth what I will pay for it - which will be WHATEVER it costs when I buy it at MSRP with factory and dealer options. It's a deal for the money and I want it NOW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
I'm ok with the price. The original estimate was $38,500 and the apparent base price of $39,985 doesn't seem like an unreasonable increase. If you get a red or yellow base car, you are under $40K (excluding tax, license, etc.). You don't need LSS, touring package or special paint to enjoy the car. You can spend $33K for a much less exciting Honda S2000, so I think Lotus hit the right target.

Now if you load up the Lotus for an out the door price of $48-50K, you are spending a fair amount more than the $37K or so that the S2000 would run. If you can afford it, I believe that the Elise is a better deal. However, the Honda is more practical and $10,000 is a lot of money to save.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
i think the base price is reasonable.
the touring and sports packages are reasonable.
the lifestyle color option is reasonable (lots of manufacturers charge extra for a few colors).

the two things that really irk me are:

$1500 for the hardtop. i still maintain that for what it is, it should only cost about $500. people say "it's only another $1500 on a $40K car" - but $1500 extra on a 5 year loan is $30 / month, which is really quite a bit.

metallic paint charge. while charging extra for a couple of special colors is reasonable, i think it's pretty low to charge extra for any color EXCEPT 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
frukio said:

metallic paint charge. while charging extra for a couple of special colors is reasonable, i think it's pretty low to charge extra for any color EXCEPT 2.
I don't know about the pretty low comment, but I do agree with what you're saying here.

Two standard colors is a little skimpy. WTF they should offer at least five standard colors. This is basically a hidden charge to make up for the sliding dollar.

I guess it could be worst, they could have made the standard colors Harrods green and Aztec Bronze. Or worst Chrome Orange (Nomex suit on):D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,834 Posts
It's funny, because almost every comment from folks at the Auto Show who had never heard of the Elise before, couldn't believe the car was ONLY $40,000. And this was based purely on the posted specs, look, fit, and finish of these still-prototype cars!

Wait until they drive one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I'm not disappointed in teh price, I'm dissappointed in the dollar. I think we are getting our money's worth, it's just that our moneys not worth what it was 2 years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
frukio said:
i think the base price is reasonable.
the touring and sports packages are reasonable.
the lifestyle color option is reasonable (lots of manufacturers charge extra for a few colors).

the two things that really irk me are:

$1500 for the hardtop. i still maintain that for what it is, it should only cost about $500. people say "it's only another $1500 on a $40K car" - but $1500 extra on a 5 year loan is $30 / month, which is really quite a bit.

metallic paint charge. while charging extra for a couple of special colors is reasonable, i think it's pretty low to charge extra for any color EXCEPT 2.
Frukio I'm with you on this, the hardtop is a waste. However, the paint is absurd, I think that their 'base' colors are too few and they are almost making people choose and pay for a color. Then again, this probably is a way to trying to cope with the beating dollar is taking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
yeah but.....

Re: the hardtop price, it's been pretty firm all along (two years) that the hardtop would cost around $1500 and that's exactly what it came in at. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it !

Agree about the paint upgrade pricing, though. It's pretty clearly Lotus' way of making up for the weak dollar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
mikester said:
yeah but.....

Re: the hardtop price, it's been pretty firm all along (two years) that the hardtop would cost around $1500 and that's exactly what it came in at. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it !
yeah but i do want a hard top which is why it's annoying.

i don't know which options you're getting, but say you wanted the sports package and it cost $7K for the same features...
even if lotus had always said it would cost $7K, i imagine you would be annoyed about it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
mikester said:
Agree about the paint upgrade pricing, though. It's pretty clearly Lotus' way of making up for the weak dollar.
Not so IMHO.

They used almost the same setup here in europe when the S2 was launched. Only it were flat red and blue as base colors.

Only difference is that the whole 'lifestyle' stuff with additional cost was not available here, but 1 or 2 base colors were always normal and then metallic for an extra cost similar to the US price.

Even the early 2001 black (which was 'flat black' and not metallic) was at an additional cost comparable to metallic.

Eg. my car is Lightning Yellow, which is a metallic/pearlescent paint (AFAIK Saffron is not.). This was extra when I bought the car.

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
atyclb said:
It's funny, because almost every comment from folks at the Auto Show who had never heard of the Elise before, couldn't believe the car was ONLY $40,000. And this was based purely on the posted specs, look, fit, and finish of these still-prototype cars!

Wait until they drive one!
My dad had the same reaction when he found out I was looking into an Elise. He thought it would be $100k+.

While I'm not happy to see the price increase, I am not going to be scared away by it either.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top