• I am a Rich Guy

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am embarressed telling people about this car. The few people I have told have strange reactions. I might be rich but maybe not. I love the car. I am not sure I really want to be identified as rich. Where are you?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
This car will be perceived as much more expensive. People easily confuse exotic-looking and rare with expensive. Been there, done that.

It would be funny to pull up to some of the nicer restaurants in places like La Jolla and see if your car gets better billing by the valets. :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I tell guys I'm buying a lotus they are amazed, they think it will cost $$$. When I tell girls they say "You mean like in Pretty Woman". I'm happy with this response.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would not consider myself rich by any means, only when i have an Enzo, Carrera GT, and a Mclaren F1 in my garage that is when i consider myself rich. I would consider myself well off for my age, i mean I am 21 with no debt I already have two cars not the best of cars just a Subaru Legacy pretty well moded and honda civic as a commuter. Although most of my peers are still in college drinking away their parents money. I have been working since i was 14 so I have quite a but of experience for my age and I have decent jobs now. Thats right two jobs, I work 12 hours a night 7 days out of a 14 day period and I have a part time day job, both are in the IT field.

Hopefully by the time i am expecting to have my elise delivered which is maybe mid summer since i am just number 20 on the list I will also be taking delivery of my house. Right now it is being built, they just broke ground this past week actually.

When ever I tell a friend or a co-worker they are always suprised and think that I am filthy rich that I am buying a 90k car. Only when I tell them that is around 40 or so they are like ok but still look at me weird. Its amazing its the same people that are also driving a brand new STi and S4.

but to each his own, I just cant wait until this summer it should be an interesting one.

-jeremy

·
Registered
963 Posts
For your poll, are you talking house hold income, mine and my wife's or just my income?

I coudn't afford this car just on my income. So, I guess I'm poor.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
There is very little correlation between income and net worth. I know a lot of people who make $300K and have no money in the bank...

Good book, "The Millionaire Next Door"...

Roy

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Tpup said:
There is very little correlation between income and net worth. I know a lot of people who make $300K and have no money in the bank...

Good book, "The Millionaire Next Door"...

Roy
And then there are those amongst us who have a negative net worth :confused:

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm sure I'll be dead before I'm able to retire, so I'm going out in debt! I have decent life insurance, so my wife will be okay. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
are you rich?

It is my understanding that by todays standards,being rich is dependent on how much free time you have.I have a neighbor who has just became filthy rich,bought a new viper,350z,jaguar,and motor home,but can not use them since all he does is work 7 days a week.I, on the other hand,have reached a point in life which requires just a few days a month towards my business,the rest is spent playing with my toys(lotus elan,xk120 jag and a bmw z3 and soon to be elise).So I guess you can't just count $$$$$,but quality of life.Oh, did I fail to mention my wife helps support my habit. ART;)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
If having free time makes you rich then Im a zillionare. I work 3.5 hours a day....I go to work at 6am and get off at 9am. Im free all day. In fact sometimes I think about getting a job so Im not bored all the time, especially in the winter when I cant ride my MTB.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The car definitely looks more expensive than it really is, yet I bet most people would still categorize it as a sub-$100k car. At that price range, almost anyone could afford something like that - it's just a matter of priorities and a little luck.

On a more philosophical note...as others are starting to imply, the definition of 'rich' is relative. To some, it's material possessions. To others, it's quality of life.

(I'm moving this post to category 'OTHER')

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Looks like we need to have someone to clarify the term "income." These are the days that Arian Huffington does not have to pay any taxes, because she has no "income," and oral sex is not "sexual relationship."

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I don't think you have to be "rich" to buy a $40,000 car. But it's true, when you tell friends that you're getting a Lotus, they immediately start thinking big bucks. When I tell them it's "only" $40K, they often say "really, maybe I should get one". But most people aren't prepared to own a car like this.

As far as being rich goes, if I have enough money to do the things I want to do, and if I have my health, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
By the way, this type of thread probably does belong in the other category, but does anyone actually go there?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts