The Lotus Cars Community banner

What do you think of the ELise Instrument cluster?

• I love the instrument cluster... Leave it alone

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • It looks cheap to me, and it lacks important gauges

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I don't care what the instrument cluster looks like.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I want a real oil pressure gauge. I need information.

Votes: 6 19.4%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my opinion that the gauges on the Elise are lacking. I have always liked to having a lot of information available to me when driving. The current instrument cluster does not have a true oil pressure gauge and while temperature readout is given on the LCD it looks kind of small in the pictures I've seen.

IMO I think the instrument cluster looks cheap.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I like the current elise gauges! We're getting something else though in the US car...have to see what they look like at the auto show.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Give me info!!

I like the guages with white faces and unless they have changed you have to love a tach that reads to 10k. I could do without the idiot lights but if they save money and weight I'll get over it. Does anybody know if you can toggle through different perameters on the LCD screen?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
my only complaint about the gauges is that they are not backlit. As far as the number of gauges - as long as I can get all the informtaion I need (oil presssure, water temp, gas, & maybe volt meter) without pushing buttons, I'm fine.

It would be nice if the LCD was able to switch the numbers from one color to another (like green to red) so you could quickly discern if one of your levels was bad without taking the time to focus in and read the number.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BrianK said:
It would be nice if the LCD was able to switch the numbers from one color to another (like green to red) so you could quickly discern if one of your levels was bad without taking the time to focus in and read the number.

That would be really cool, when I took my test drive the temp guage was obviously in Celsius and I'm sitting there trying to do the math in my head to tell if it has warmed up yet:confused:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Gosh, have we got too much time on our hands now? Complaining about the guages, minimalist is fine with me, give me speed, odometer, temp, rpm, that's enought for me.

I do like the layout of the dash in the federal test car in the latest autoexpress post on the US elise.
Chris

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'll be adding an oil pressure gauge to mine, probably an oil temp gauge as well...they wouldn't have added TWO oil coolers if oil temp wasn't a concern. Hopefully, the oil temp gauge will just serve to reassure me that adding two coolers was overkill...

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
MattG said:
I'll be adding an oil pressure gauge to mine, probably an oil temp gauge as well...they wouldn't have added TWO oil coolers if oil temp wasn't a concern. Hopefully, the oil temp gauge will just serve to reassure me that adding two coolers was overkill...
Gee. I would think just the opposite. Having Two oil coolers should all but eliminate any concern.:confused:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Gee. I would think just the opposite. Having Two oil coolers should all but eliminate any concern.:confused:

I wonder if they added the second cooler due to environment? Perhaps for hotter climates in US and that a higher percentage of Elise's will, potentially, be raced??? In biking I know people get out of the slip stream into 'clean' air to cool off their engine on the straights during track days. Could this be a variation of that theme?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
babak said:
Perhaps for hotter climates in US...
Yes, indeed. The desert Southwest is brutal. Mid-engine cars run hot, hot, hot. Plus AC all but requires the additional cooling capacity for these more strenuous conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts