• 100000 to 104999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 105k +

Votes: 2 5.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Z06 non z07 package car will be in the upper 80 range then with some good options looking at 105 with TTL out the door. It’s going to be insane performance.
The current C8 and upcoming Z06 are both the best performance your dollars can buy. But I just can't bring myself to buy something without a manual and I highly doubt the Z06 will offer the same type of driving experience and enjoyment an Emira offers. But I don't value flat out speed as much as I do being connected to the vehicle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Will the pricing be announced soon..... next 4 weeks ? is that the word from LOTUS ?
Everything that I have heard and read (dealers, events, etc) state that sometime at the beginning of September more details will be released, the implication is price (at least for the first edition), performance numbers (HP, Torque, 0-60) will be stated more firmly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Couple comments on the Lotus Emira Facebook Group are saying they are delaying the tour till Oct now. Which I'm assuming pricing will be delayed as well.
Well that would kind of suck, but not much we can do about it. I wonder if the delay is because they are still trying to make and test a production ready Emira.

·
Registered
285 Posts
SO,........I am sure I am going to get a lot of back blow on this post...... but here goes.......

Insider dealer principal confirmed that 4 cylinder will start at $70k and V6 is starting at $90k as was told by Lotus Co rep.

Very trustworthy insider reliable source from the largest dealer worldwide ( Naples)

I think I am out..... starting $90 is way high for the V6 that I want.
LOL, $20k difference between AMG and V6. That would be a huge mistake in pricing. I would be gone as well. I hope they are wrong.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They've already said it'll be September, be patient. Also, price doesn't tell the whole story. There will be a tour in November when we'll actually get to sit in the cars, see materials, paints, etc. in person. After which point in (I believe) December is when you have to make a decision. That's when we'll really know who's serious and who isn't.

I'm not as price sensitive as others, but I'm very much quality/performance/exclusivity sensitive. So if they come out with the car and it's cheap, but it also doesn't perform at least as well as the outgoing Evora GT or the quality is unimpressie, I'll be:

Can you explain why exclusivity is so important to you? I struggle with this aspect. Would it really be a deal breaker if Lotus sells a huge number of these and they are more common than the previous version? Personally I don't care about that at all, in fact if it's as good as they claim, I would love it if everyone could afford and drive one. Won't change how I feel about it or how the car makes me feel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think anyone on this forum thinks having a Lotus is as exclusive as say some multi-million dollar hypercar, but seeing another Lotus on the road (regardless of model) is a rather momentous occasion since it's not something you see every day. Imagine if the Emira was as ubiquitous as the Caymans or 911s, which blend into the background, and even though they're great cars in their own way/right, nobody bats an eye when one (or half a dozen) go by.
If I buy a Lotus, and I see a fellow Lotus drive by (minus the upcoming SUV) I will automatically know that we have something major in common, and that is the love of the drive. That's a community I love being a part of, adding more people to that community is only a good thing in my mind. I'm not wealthy, and I don't spend money on things to show off, heck my most expensive watch is $300 and I wear clothes I bought from Costco and even Walmart. But I can justify spending close to 6 figures on a sports car, and I do that not to show off, but because I love vehicles that drive special and make me feel special. I don't get that from the envy of others.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if they sell more cars, because the previous cars barely sold. However, if they work overtime and build every car that is demanded (today), there will be no demand for the car tomorrow. So this means different things to different types of buyers:

Value buyer:
These people will typically shop Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and other brands that tend to maintain value (at least on paper) relative to the overall market. This doesn't mean the cars won't depreciate, it just means they don't depreciate at the same rate as the average car.

For example, on average, cars depreciate around 20% first year and 50% within 5-years. Now imagine you're buying a Lamborghini for $250-300k, you certainly expect depreciation, but you don't expect the car to be worth $125-150k after 5-years. A more realistic number would be $175-200k. So nominally it's still a huge loss (especially when you factor in maintenance, insurance, taxes and so on), but on a percentage basis you're doing better than the rest of the market.

This matters to people in every bracket, despite what people think of supercar buyers, everyone is value conscious ;)

The primary market needs to maintain a certain equilibrium to make sure the secondary market doesn't drop out - this is the mistake McLaren made by not limiting production on paper. They said they'll build as many as they can (and despite still building an incredibly small numbers), they lost tons of sales. Which leads us to....

Exclusive buyer:
Some buyers want a product which doesn't look like the rest. There are millions of drivers on the road who have a Toyota Camry, don't care much about cars, car culture, perception and so on. But there are others who want something different and are willing to pay for it. For some people this may be modifications to a car: wheels, exhaust, lighting, bodykit, whatever. It's our desire to be different and stand out.

This again comes at multiple brackets. That's why car companies put out special cars, to attract those buyers. A BMW 3-series is a 'standard BMW'.... so if you're an enthusiast you want the M3. The 911 is for rich plebs, we want the GT3... or maybe the GT3 RS? Etc. You get the point.

Answer:
So now to answer your question, why is it important to me? I live in an affluent community where having/seeing supercars is pretty normal. Everyone and their mother owns a BMW, Porsche, Tesla, Maserati, Aston, Bentley, RR and other relatively upscale cars. To be honest, I'm just numb to them and want something different and special. Special doesn't always have to be expensive, but it has to be relatively uncommon and give a sense of occasion.

I'm also a value buyer, as are most, I'd think. Nobody wants to lose 40% of the cars value in the same time other cars lose 20%. It doesn't matter what the nominal amount is, the relative percentage is what matters. I'd rather lose 20% of a $250k car than 40% of a $100k car. It's nominally more money ($50k vs $40k), but relatively speaking one is a better investment. For only a marginally higher loss you got to enjoy a substantially more expensive toy.

Just remember, it doesn't matter which cars or price brackets we're talking about, the same psychology and desires exist. That's why there's a Civic and a Civic Si and a Civic Type R and so on.

Sorry for the long response, but hopefully it makes sense :)
Interesting, so from the list above you are saying exclusivity to you is, resale value, unique in your hood, and something that is a higher performance version.

We live very different lives, I'm a working class man, live in a regular middle-class neighbourhood, the sportiest car on my street which is only about 20 homes, is likely a previous generation Buick Lacrosse Turbo. That's excluding my current vehicle which is a 2020 VW GTI, which I bought as a "bridge vehicle" to save up for something special in 3 years time. At my government job the sportiest vehicles are a Mustang GT, Audi S4, and Merc GLA AMG. So as you can see, even though I am not attempting to be exclusive, buying anything like a Lotus (Heck a Porsche, Vette, Jag, etc) will stick out like a sore thumb. If anything I worry that buying one will cause others to resent me. Also, I think in my limited population province in Canada there might be 10 Lotus in total, so it's incredibly rare.

Moral of the story, you really want to feel exclusivity, move to a boring part of the world and buy the least practical car.

·
Registered
285 Posts
UK Evora starting pricing listed at 88,675 pounds
UK Emira starting under 60,000 pounds that is a drop of starting price of 28,675 pounds or 32%.

USA Evora pricing starts at 96,950 dollars drop that by 32% = $65,926 dollars (i4 not FE version)

Seems very logical to me
I've seen worse logic applied. Sitting here patiently waiting for Lotus to release some pricing and confirming specs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Production hasn't moved to China, so there's no big savings on labor costs. The Emira and Evora both have aluminum bonded chassis, same powertrain. Are you suggesting that the Evora included 32% of profit that the new owners are happy to return to buyers in favor of gaining market share? Because... China?
There is no one answer as to why it could be cheaper, it is a combination of a bunch things but the big ones would be, the Evora was hand built and the Emira will not be built the same way, development cost is lower because they are not "reinventing the wheel" by using the same tech and powertrain, they are getting valuable advice from Geely to cut costs and using their contacts to gain suppliers at better prices (hence the AMG engine and DCT).

The Evora was hand built, mostly built from scratch, and the costs were spread over a much smaller number of vehicles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So in the UK WITH the VAT tax at 60K GBP, that translates to around 72K USD. ( I am using 15% VAT tax rate )

I hope that the USA brochure that stated around $80K US was indicating the "First Editions" that will be more fully equipped.

How great if the car starts at $72k-$73k USD. fingers crossed.

This VAT tax included price of 60k GBP in the UK does not match up with the paper brochure price of $80k USD.

And this is why there are so many questions as to what the real cemented pricing will be.
I think VAT is actually 20%, so the Emira is 50,000 pounds plus 10,000 pounds of VAT. Also I think Lotus said starting under 60k so could be a bit lower than that too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.