• 100000 to 104999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 105k +

Votes: 2 5.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
There are people willing to paid the extra 10k for exclusively. The C8 is a much better bargain but I wouldn't get the same excitement. I don't think any one would cross shop a manual Emira with a C8. The DCT Emira at 70K is more inline competition against the C8. In the future, all electric sport cars will beat the ICE sport cars in terms of performance as well as price. If I going to buy another automatic, I just as well buy an electric car.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Dealers are already calling customers that been in the Z06 wait list saying car will go for Market Value price. It’s going to be insane C8’s are still going 10 to 20k over MSRP. At this rate many Z06’s will be 30K plus on the open market with the first batch closer to 40 to 50k over.
It would be great for Lotus if that happens. The Emira suddenly becomes a bargain. I think below 90k is a bargain for the v6 supercharged manual Emira. A10+ year old Exige 240/260 are in the 70-80k and a 25+ year old Elise are in the 40s. The sport car market is insane this year. Same goes for the housing market.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Can you explain why exclusivity is so important to you? I struggle with this aspect. Would it really be a deal breaker if Lotus sells a huge number of these and they are more common than the previous version? Personally I don't care about that at all, in fact if it's as good as they claim, I would love it if everyone could afford and drive one. Won't change how I feel about it or how the car makes me feel.
It’s not as important has having a well balance/handling sport car. But it’s nice to drive an exotic that is hand built, not just another common sport car on the road. I like to see other people turn their head to admire my car and take pictures. You will have a better understanding once you owned a Lotus. All the other cars, doesn’t give you this special feeling unless it’s over 200K.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Exige/Elise are different experiences and will hold those values, but the Evora....yeah, they going to see a price hit with the Emira coming out.
You may be right if the owners start selling/trading in their Evora for the Emira. But in the long run, the Evora price will appreciate. I understand the driving dynamic of my Evora S and Exige; therefore, I continue to drive them and I'm keeping for my kids. We had shared so many experiences and created a family bond with our Lotus. I'm planning on buying the Emira (the performance version, not this 1st edition). Once you owned a Lotus, it's hard to let it go. My kids are very fortunate to experience Newton's law of motions at a very young age.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm still curious what would account for the Emira to be cheaper to produce than the Evora. I mean, specifically what components that added to Evora cost were omitted on the Emira or replaced with cheaper parts? Or did Evora just have a much higher profit margin? I'm having trouble justifying the idea of a car with the same drivetrain costing 32% less, unless those little back seats used cash for padding.
Maybe because Lotus is now owned by a Chinese company. Isn't most of Chinese product are cheaper? Iphone vs Huawei, Xiaomi, etc. or IBM Thinkpad vs. Lenovo Thinkpad (after Lenovo brought that division from IBM in the early 2000). They want to produce/sell the Emira in masses so the only way to do that is to undercut all competitors in pricing - maybe just breakeven or tiny profit. It's working because the pre-order numbers are very strong and plenty of new members recently joined as well.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Production hasn't moved to China, so there's no big savings on labor costs. The Emira and Evora both have aluminum bonded chassis, same powertrain. Are you suggesting that the Evora included 32% of profit that the new owners are happy to return to buyers in favor of gaining market share? Because... China?
It doesn't have to move to China to undercut the competitor's price, it's all about the owner/leadership new directions. As an example, Iphone is made in China, but it is still much more expensive than other Chinese smart phone companies. A reason why Apple is a 2.5 trillion dollar company.

We wouldn't know until the actual car arrives and pricing is released. But for fun, below are my guess:
1) No longer hand built and new factory automate everything so staff is cut by 3/4
2) Mass production like the normal sport cars (Corvettes, Mustangs, etc.)
3) Reduce profit margin just to gain market share from the competitor
4) Cheaper materials but make it look nice on the surface

·
Registered
717 Posts
What GM did for the C8 pricing was brilliant and Lotus should follow it. MSRP it very low at $70K so Lotus owners can buy it low and sell it high after a year to pocket at least 20K. Then those owners can turn around buy the 2nd edition Emiras and thus keeping the demand up for Lotus. Lotus can report that they exceed their production goal every quarter.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm going to play this game to see if long time Lotus members/owners are more accurate than the new members on this forum.

AMG I4 Turbo - $81K base price. This pricing is for the folks that are on a budget or not willing to shed another $17K for a sport car.
Toyota V6 Supercharged - $98K base price. I'm pricing the V6 a little higher than the base Evora GT - IMO make more sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.