• 100000 to 104999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 105k +

Votes: 2 5.0%
41 - 60 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My only experience with "first edition" cars is my launch edition 4C which came fully loaded, as did all of the other launch cars.

The 'base price' on a 4C was only $57,500, but the launch cars were all $72k, and most of the standard editions came in $65k+ by the time some options were added.

I'm wondering if the first edition cars will all have certain options included at a higher price? Wouldn't it be weird for a first edition car to have zero options on it?

With that said, I'm putting the first editions at $94,750.

I really hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
349 Posts
2.0L starts at $80k (based on leaked sales doc wording plus V6 Evora GT starts at $97k). Mass production could cut costs from Evora by $7-9k for the V6 Emira to start at $89k--a jump from 360 to 416hp for $9k seems reasonable. And I read somewhere the First Editions will be mono-spec (except for customizing interior/exterior/roof colors and wheels exactly like in online configurator). So I worry fully loaded w/ Drivers Pack/Convenience Pack/Design Pack (I'd say each pack averages $4k or $12k total) will be mandatory. But mass producing a uniform spec could subsidize savings vs optioning out each pack for a non-First Edition so add $10k instead of $12k:

$89k base V6 + $10k subsidized First Edition features = $99k

(If you want to use some fudge factor to appease yourself, say base V6 starts $88k and 3 discounted packs are $9k for $97k total but I choose to be conservative/realistic in my $99k estimate.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
1st prediction (with hopium)

BASE i4T MSRP $64,895 USD

BASE V6sc MSRP $69,895 USD

FIRST EDITION V6sc MSRP $79,895 USD

+Destination Charge
+Sales Tax varies

2nd prediction (without hopium)

BASE i4T MSRP $69,895 USD

BASE V6sc MSRP $74,895 USD

FIRST EDITION V6sc MSRP $84,895 USD

+Destination Charge
+Sales Tax varies

All after considering the leaked info
UK price staring from under 60K GBP <—I think they talk about the BASE.
US price around $80K USD <—I think they talk about the FIRST EDITION.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Ford Bron

+Destination Charge
+Sales Tax varies

+Destination Charge
+Sales Tax varies

2021 Ford Bronco base price: 28,500. First edition: 56,915. 2021 Land Rover new Defender 110 base price: 49900. First edition: 83,600. 2018 Velar base was also 49900, and First Edition was 89300.

I'm not rooting for a high price, despite comments here. At present, I'm happy with my 400. The small differences to the GT didn't make sense for me. I have no doubt the Emira is a much more livable car. I wouldn't trade my current car, and take the hit to get the same power even if it's more like a Porsche or Audi or BMW. For me that doesn't make sense. If it's 20,000 less than my car was new, that's a different story. Then I get a new car and warranty, same power but much more livable and makes more sense financially.

Maybe the Emira will be a "loss leader" in a very general sense. They may be happy to break even to get 10000 new sales, and start the progression to the Emira GT, then the new car, the SUV, etc. That has worked for many other manufacturers, so why not Lotus. Obviously, having one model for 11 years in the US didn't help! And even outside the US, Elise versus Evora was nothing like 3-series to 5-series, e.g., same car bigger size bigger engine.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Ford Bron

+Destination Charge
+Sales Tax varies

+Destination Charge
+Sales Tax varies

2021 Ford Bronco base price: 28,500. First edition: 56,915. 2021 Land Rover new Defender 110 base price: 49900. First edition: 83,600. 2018 Velar base was also 49900, and First Edition was 89300.

I'm not rooting for a high price, despite comments here. At present, I'm happy with my 400. The small differences to the GT didn't make sense for me. I have no doubt the Emira is a much more livable car. I wouldn't trade my current car, and take the hit to get the same power even if it's more like a Porsche or Audi or BMW. For me that doesn't make sense. If it's 20,000 less than my car was new, that's a different story. Then I get a new car and warranty, same power but much more livable and makes more sense financially.

Maybe the Emira will be a "loss leader" in a very general sense. They may be happy to break even to get 10000 new sales, and start the progression to the Emira GT, then the new car, the SUV, etc. That has worked for many other manufacturers, so why not Lotus. Obviously, having one model for 11 years in the US didn't help! And even outside the US, Elise versus Evora was nothing like 3-series to 5-series, e.g., same car bigger size bigger engine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The OP asked for the estimated base price for the First Edition, but since everybody's enthusiasm has moved out to estimates for all the base models, here's mine. One caveat: inflation. It's already beginning to change the exchange rate for currency conversion, but based on the current rate, I'm guessing:

Destination charge included

Base i4 - $69,495

Base V6 with manual - $71,495 (changing the engine and trans doesn't add to the i4, it replaces it so the cost is less than an add-on, and I think the manual will be cheaper than the DCT)

Base First Edition - $81,880

First Edition is going to include extras. I'm guessing about $10k worth. Special premium paint colors, caliper colors, maybe the KEF Premium audio, forged wheels, Convenience Pack, Premium Carpet Mats, and maybe some unique interior features for the First Edition only.

First Edition options: I think the upper/lower blackout will be optional, Drivers Pack optional (which will include the 2-piece brake rotors), Design Pack may be optional depending on what it is (unless it's something specifically for the First Edition, could include badging, etc.), Alcantara interior optional. If the Convenience Pack is just the electronic safety and convenience stuff, (cruise control, lane detection, etc.) that's fine, but if it also includes the 12-way electric seats, then those would be included, otherwise the 12-way seats would be an option. The heated seats may only come with the 12-way option. There's probably going to be more we don't know about yet.

All of this is just ballpark speculation and I'm keeping in mind their mantra "For The Driver", so I don't expect a ton of luxury options like you'd otherwise expect. I know they want to make the car competitive price-wise, so I don't expect absurd prices for options either. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
The OP asked for the estimated base price for the First Edition, but since everybody's enthusiasm has moved out to estimates for all the base models, here's mine. One caveat: inflation. It's already beginning to change the exchange rate for currency conversion, but based on the current rate, I'm guessing:

Destination charge included

Base i4 - $69,495

Base V6 with manual - $71,495 (changing the engine and trans doesn't add to the i4, it replaces it so the cost is less than an add-on, and I think the manual will be cheaper than the DCT)

Base First Edition - $81,880

First Edition is going to include extras. I'm guessing about $10k worth. Special premium paint colors, caliper colors, maybe the KEF Premium audio, forged wheels, Convenience Pack, Premium Carpet Mats, and maybe some unique interior features for the First Edition only.

First Edition options: I think the upper/lower blackout will be optional, Drivers Pack optional (which will include the 2-piece brake rotors), Design Pack may be optional depending on what it is (unless it's something specifically for the First Edition, could include badging, etc.), Alcantara interior optional. If the Convenience Pack is just the electronic safety and convenience stuff, (cruise control, lane detection, etc.) that's fine, but if it also includes the 12-way electric seats, then those would be included, otherwise the 12-way seats would be an option. The heated seats may only come with the 12-way option. There's probably going to be more we don't know about yet.

All of this is just ballpark speculation and I'm keeping in mind their mantra "For The Driver", so I don't expect a ton of luxury options like you'd otherwise expect. I know they want to make the car competitive price-wise, so I don't expect absurd prices for options either. We'll see.
and one more from me. The 2005 Elise had a base price of 43,860, while by 2011 is was about 52,000. The 2010 Evora has a base of about 75,000, and the 2021 GT is around. 97000. If we say the Emira is the new Elise, then adding 3% inflation , the 2005 would have been just under 52,000 - spot on to the 2011 price. Carrying that forward to 2022 yields 72,600, factoring in equipment upgrades and safety requirements, that's not too far off from what people have said for the 4 cyl, before options, so first edition 4-pot at $80k could make sense.

If it's an Evora replacement, adding 3% compounded from the 2010 price to the 2018 base price yields 95,250. 2018 base price was 94,900. Very close. Interestingly, the increase from 2018 to 22021 was much less than 3%, which would have put the base price at $104k, versus what it is at $97k, but there's very little difference between the 2018 and the 2021, so the costs of development were essentially nil. The 2018 Evora only came with the updated engine, so you could argue this was a better bargain; there was no NA car, and the 2021 is a small evolution.

It would be difficult to see the 6 cyl having a price substantially lower, unless it's intentionally meant to lure the former Elige owners, with the assumption that the "new car" will be priced much higher, to lure the 911 drivers?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
and one more from me. The 2005 Elise had a base price of 43,860, while by 2011 is was about 52,000. The 2010 Evora has a base of about 75,000, and the 2021 GT is around. 97000. If we say the Emira is the new Elise, then adding 3% inflation , the 2005 would have been just under 52,000 - spot on to the 2011 price. Carrying that forward to 2022 yields 72,600, factoring in equipment upgrades and safety requirements, that's not too far off from what people have said for the 4 cyl, before options, so first edition 4-pot at $80k could make sense.

If it's an Evora replacement, adding 3% compounded from the 2010 price to the 2018 base price yields 95,250. 2018 base price was 94,900. Very close. Interestingly, the increase from 2018 to 22021 was much less than 3%, which would have put the base price at $104k, versus what it is at $97k, but there's very little difference between the 2018 and the 2021, so the costs of development were essentially nil. The 2018 Evora only came with the updated engine, so you could argue this was a better bargain; there was no NA car, and the 2021 is a small evolution.

It would be difficult to see the 6 cyl having a price substantially lower, unless it's intentionally meant to lure the former Elige owners, with the assumption that the "new car" will be priced much higher, to lure the 911 drivers?
Actually the 2005 Elise originally had a base price of $39995. Which lasted for about 10 minutes for the first handful of cars ordered in 2004. Lotus wanted to be able to say they brought the car to the US market for under $40k. Which they technically did.

Dont think you can say a base Emira is the same as the original Elise in terms of where it fits in the product line. There is nothing Lotus will offer that is analogous to the Elise. The Elise was literally a go kart.The Emira aspires to be a “real” car.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
I asked, Lotus told me. "Full pricing for the car will be available from September but starting at $83,000"
I’m connected on LinkedIn to the past Lotus CEO, the current CEO, Managing Director (Matt Windle), the head of production, the head of marketing, the head of supply chain, the head of finance, the head of HR, heck, I’m connected with Morris Dowton, Mike Kimberly, and the head of production under Chapman. They don’t give up anything. Who did you ask at Lotus? Wait…never-mind. If it’s a real person offering real info he’s jeopardizing his job.

Reactions: GDBB

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Actually the 2005 Elise originally had a base price of $39995. Which lasted for about 10 minutes for the first handful of cars ordered in 2004. Lotus wanted to be able to say they brought the car to the US market for under $40k. Which they technically did.

Dont think you can say a base Emira is the same as the original Elise in terms of where it fits in the product line. There is nothing Lotus will offer that is analogous to the Elise. The Elise was literally a go kart.The Emira aspires to be a “real” car.
I stand corrected. I did pull that from website, but further research showed 6 different base prices on 6 sites!

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's still not clear to me why everyone thinks the Emira will cost 20% less than an Evora GT. It's the same engine and same transmission. Okay, they have a more efficient assembly process. Lotus was barely making money selling 2000-2500 cars....
Because Lotus themselves stated that it will debut at £60K. Translated to current USD, that's $83K. They want to make (and sell) 5,000 of these a year, and they want to be competitive and grow in the US market. So in order to do that, they're gonna have to stick pretty closely to the UK price IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd say the First Edition Emira has to be at least competitively priced to the 718 Cayman GTS, which starts at $87,400. An Emira over a Cayman GTS or the upcoming C8 Z06 would be a tough sell at that high $80k, low $90k mark. I think It'd be absolutely wonderful if the V6 manual could be priced at the Cayman S, which starts at $72,500.

My prediction is that it falls somewhere between these. Around $78,900 for the V6 manual no options. Around $85k for the First Edition. Not great, not terrible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m connected on LinkedIn to the past Lotus CEO, the current CEO, Managing Director (Matt Windle), the head of production, the head of marketing, the head of supply chain, the head of finance, the head of HR, heck, I’m connected with Morris Dowton, Mike Kimberly, and the head of production under Chapman. They don’t give up anything. Who did you ask at Lotus? Wait…never-mind. If it’s a real person offering real info he’s jeopardizing his job.
Wow I am really impressed. Please tell us what have you learned from all these connections on LinkedIn.

ps, this is the first time I’ve ever seen people try to flex with their LinkedIn connections…

41 - 60 of 249 Posts