• 100000 to 104999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 105k +

Votes: 2 5.0%
161 - 180 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Me too I read september 7th somewhere...

·
Administrator
12,015 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
At 88,675 we are very far from the 60,000 annonced so I don’t understand why some are saying the Emira is going to be 100K us. It just dont make any sense.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Imagine if everyone has the pricing backwards and the V6 is 80k and the AMG was 100k. I’d be pretty thrilled
Interesting idea. Would a Mercedes 4 cost more than a Toyota 6? That's an interesting thing to consider. The AMG engine has to come with the DCT, and I have no doubt that trans is more expensive and heavier than the Toyota manual trans, so would the lightest, least-expensive engine/trans combo be the Toyota V6 with manual trans? The thing that stops me on that price-wise is the power difference. I can't see them charging more for an engine/trans combo that has less horsepower than the less expensive combo.

It's an interesting idea though. Would sure be great if that turns out to be the case.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
We all know the AMG I4 engine is detuned at 360hp. It should be set at 415hp minimum and it has the potential for 450-460hp easily. It has more potential than the V6 out of the box but personally I want the V6 for the sound and I already have an I4 SC engine with my Exige. So I want something different for my second sport car. The komotec ex435 tune is going to be the easy route to go for the v6 owners and mostly the top the stock manual transmission can hold and engine internal either.

Reactions: darkSol

·
Registered
806 Posts
Honestly the AMG should be the higher end option if it has more potential without heavy modification like the V6 requires. Most likely the V6 will be phased out and/or surpassed by the AMG at some point in performance. To under tune the AMG to be less than the V6 makes little sense to me. The AMG seems to have more out-of-the-box potential and its the more "prestigious" brand name. Just kind of mind boggling that people will possibly have have to pay significantly more for old tech Toyota V6 with a creaky ass diesel gear box over a DCT new tech AMG I4 that was purposely detuned.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well Matt did say they've only got 5 years left for the V6, so the AMG being the more powerful engine is probably correct. It'll be sad to have no manual trans option for a Lotus when the AMG becomes the only engine available though. Then there's only a few years left for the AMG before Lotus goes all-electric. I'll keep my Emira, but I'm going to be interested to see what they come up with for an executive saloon.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Honestly the AMG should be the higher end option if it has more potential without heavy modification like the V6 requires. Most likely the V6 will be phased out and/or surpassed by the AMG at some point in performance. To under tune the AMG to be less than the V6 makes little sense to me. The AMG seems to have more out-of-the-box potential and its the more "prestigious" brand name. Just kind of mind boggling that people will possibly have have to pay significantly more for old tech Toyota V6 with a creaky ass diesel gear box over a DCT new tech AMG I4 that was purposely detuned.
Make that relatively BULLET PROOF Toyota with a creaky ass diesel gear box

·
Registered
45 Posts
UK Evora starting pricing listed at 88,675 pounds
UK Emira starting under 60,000 pounds that is a drop of starting price of 28,675 pounds or 32%.

USA Evora pricing starts at 96,950 dollars drop that by 32% = $65,926 dollars (i4 not FE version)

Seems very logical to me

·
Registered
285 Posts
UK Emira starting under 60,000 pounds that is a drop of starting price of 28,675 pounds or 32%.

USA Evora pricing starts at 96,950 dollars drop that by 32% = $65,926 dollars (i4 not FE version)

Seems very logical to me
I've seen worse logic applied. Sitting here patiently waiting for Lotus to release some pricing and confirming specs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm still curious what would account for the Emira to be cheaper to produce than the Evora. I mean, specifically what components that added to Evora cost were omitted on the Emira or replaced with cheaper parts? Or did Evora just have a much higher profit margin? I'm having trouble justifying the idea of a car with the same drivetrain costing 32% less, unless those little back seats used cash for padding.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm still curious what would account for the Emira to be cheaper to produce than the Evora. I mean, specifically what components that added to Evora cost were omitted on the Emira or replaced with cheaper parts? Or did Evora just have a much higher profit margin? I'm having trouble justifying the idea of a car with the same drivetrain costing 32% less, unless those little back seats used cash for padding.
Evora is competing against 911

Emira is competing against 718

Therefore, the two different starting prices..

·
Registered
7,884 Posts

Seems very logical to me
OR...you can come at it from the other direction. The final Exige available in the US was the 2011 260 final edition. It's MSRP $74,950, adjusted for inflation, that's $90K. On paper the Emira is the superior car in nearly every way: power (either engine), refinement, usability, interior, probably build quality (no guarantees there). The Evora's driving experience has been compared favorably with the Exige, and as the Emira is basically the Evora 2.0, one might expect it to be the equal or better of the Exige, handling wise.

Or maybe compare with the last S240. MSRP $65700, $76,500 in today's dollars. The Emira is that much more of a car compared to the S240.

Surely it will be priced as the superior car it will be.

Then there's that little matter of the coup in Guinea, a major supplier of ore needed to make aluminum, and China cutting back aluminum production likely to drive up the world cost of aluminum. Needed for the Emira chassis.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Maybe because Lotus is now owned by a Chinese company. Isn't most of Chinese product are cheaper? Iphone vs Huawei, Xiaomi, etc. or IBM Thinkpad vs. Lenovo Thinkpad (after Lenovo brought that division from IBM in the early 2000). They want to produce/sell the Emira in masses so the only way to do that is to undercut all competitors in pricing - maybe just breakeven or tiny profit. It's working because the pre-order numbers are very strong and plenty of new members recently joined as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Maybe because Lotus is now owned by a Chinese company.
Production hasn't moved to China, so there's no big savings on labor costs. The Emira and Evora both have aluminum bonded chassis, same powertrain. Are you suggesting that the Evora included 32% of profit that the new owners are happy to return to buyers in favor of gaining market share? Because... China?

161 - 180 of 249 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.