• >12 months

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the oil change interval topic has been discussed at length on this forum and I've read a lot of those threads, but nearly all the threads predominately discuss it in terms of mileage. I'm guessing their are a quite a few of your who drive your Elise less than 3,000 miles a year.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I just changed mine after a year with 2700 miles on the oil and sent a sample to blackstone. They said everything still looked perfect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
111 Posts
I try not to go more than 6 months, regardless of the miles. And while we are in the oil change subject, is there any advice or trick to drain the oil from the oil coolers? Or to drain as much as possible?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I try not to go more than 6 months, regardless of the miles. And while we are in the oil change subject, is there any advice or trick to drain the oil from the oil coolers? Or to drain as much as possible?
Is there a reason you don't go more than 6 months? Seems like most people lean towards a year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like most people here, I do it myself at home, it cost just over $30. buying and using Mobil One oil and filter, normally from Walmart. I think that it is so inexpensive to do, so why not. It gives me the opportunity to inspect under the engine, check other fluids, give it a good detailing but not really any fancy explanation or scientific reason, just the way I like. The other plus, if I get too busy and can't get it done, I have a good margin of safety without worrying. I am not anal about, just around 6 months give or take a few. Oil has cleaning properties so changing it often should keep everything cleaner plus with the issue of not been able to drain the coolers, now that I think of it, it might be wiser to do it even more frequently. i might change it to 4 months. And by the way, I don't track it but drive it quite often, I don't put a lot of miles but I do drive it, as close to a daily driver as it can reasonably be. My other car is a C7 Corvette, with all the bolt ons.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I have sent samples to Blackstone labs after a year of oil use and it always comes back perfect. As a matter of fact they always advice to prolong the oil change since the sample given was in excellent shape. I always drive less than 3000 miles a year. I use Motul 5 W 40 1800 xcess.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Yeah, ditch them for a Laminova setup, first mod I did. Quicker warm-up and more consistent oil temperature. When you drain your oil you actually drain your oil. Higher oil pressure. Avoid the oil cooler line leakage issues. Reduce cabin temperatures and oil line complexities. Save about 28 pounds of weight.

San

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, ditch them for a Laminova setup, first mod I did. Quicker warm-up and more consistent oil temperature. When you drain your oil you actually drain your oil. Higher oil pressure. Avoid the oil cooler line leakage issues. Reduce cabin temperatures and oil line complexities. Save about 28 pounds of weight.

San
Hmm, I had no idea about all that. I'm fairly new to the Elise. I found a thread with additional information on that mod, very interesting. Thank you very much.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
every 10K (I use synthetic) but also after 4 track days.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
41 Posts
I've always changed my oil on my (now) daily every 5,000 miles (~4-6 months). Have yet to change the oil on the Elise but the life looks good on the dipstick and still has the stock oil pan. Once the winter comes, ill probably upgrade before storage.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I know the oil change interval topic has been discussed at length on this forum and I've read a lot of those threads, but nearly all the threads predominately discuss it in terms of mileage. I'm guessing their are a quite a few of your who drive your Elise less than 3,000 miles a year.
Time based is irrevelant, oil only degrades by being sheared in an operating engine..have lab proof.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I try to get it every 20,000 miles or so. Yes, 20K miles. 2007 Fed Elise with over 161,000 miles. Longest I went was 27,000 miles. Changing synthetic oil less than that is silly and wasteful. The 3000 - 7500 mile oil change is for conventional oil and a myth that needs to die. I don't baby my car, either. I drive the hell out of it. Still running plastic capped radiator and original clutch too. No major repairs either. Still jumps on the second cam like a champ.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I try to get it every 20,000 miles or so. Yes, 20K miles. 2007 Fed Elise with over 161,000 miles. Longest I went was 27,000 miles. Changing synthetic oil less than that is silly and wasteful. The 3000 - 7500 mile oil change is for conventional oil and a myth that needs to die. I don't baby my car, either. I drive the hell out of it. Still running plastic capped radiator and original clutch too. No major repairs either. Still jumps on the second cam like a champ.
:oops:

that's more than I drive my daily driver lol

27,000 miles between oil change? Assuming that equates to 2+ years? I'm not saying it's wrong but :oops:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time based is irrevelant, oil only degrades by being sheared in an operating engine..have lab proof.
makes sense, and lotus only has mileage based recommendations in the owners manual.. but only putting 1,000 miles/year on my car, I couldn’t imagine going 3+ years with no oil change, but could be a product of being brainwashed that oil changes should be done every year

1 - 20 of 22 Posts