• $42,485.00

Votes: 90 45.7%
  • $44,985.00

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • $47,485.00

Votes: 27 13.7%
  • $49,985.00

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I don't care... I have waited this long.

Votes: 23 11.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POLL- Is the MSRP was increased?

Just curious... means nothing. Stuff to discuss while we wait, right?

Just "what if?" stuff.

Supposed Lotus declared that the Elise's MSRP is now $44.945.00, instead of $39,985.00. And when you were called by your dealer to pick up submit the final order, your price is now the new MSRP. Would you drop off the list?

Would you drop off at a lower price? $42k?

If not, what about $47k? 50k?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[only non-lotus employees can see]

atyclb said:
none of the above

:eek:

(don't let Lotus see this)
[/only non-lotus employees can see]

rotfl :)

P.S. If the price was $45k, I would not get ANY options but order a bare base model and hope to mod it later. Higher than that? I would be out.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
atyclb said:
none of the above

:eek:

(don't let Lotus see this)
yep, indeed hide this, I can easily see one of the marketting flunkies of the new guys making a gist report of it to hale/english.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
babak said:
yep, indeed hide this, I can easily see one of the marketting flunkies of the new guys making a gist report of it to hale/english.
On the other hand...if the poll showed that a large number of people would drop off the list?

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Randy Chase said:
P.S. If the price was $45k, I would not get ANY options but order a bare base model and hope to mod it later. Higher than that? I would be out.
i'd have to agree with you on this one.

or, make an attempt to buy it, drive it for a few months, then sell it before winter hits. Probably make a profit, as well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For me, if the price is hiked by any significant number (more than $500, say), I'm going to drop off and wait to pick up a used Elise in a couple of years.

There are so many great cars out there, I'm really not willing to pay a premium for the car. Maybe I'd pick up a Caterham. I've also been thinking of a 348 challenge -- something for track and weekends on the street.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Maybe the price increase will mean Lotus is redoing the Elan fiasco. In a couple years, you will be able to get an Elise at cost, guessing mid $30K.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Patricko said:
I don't want to play:rolleyes:
I debated putting up this poll for some days. In the end, I think it may prove valuable.

The misconception I fear that Hethel may have, based on glowing reviews and avid Elisetalk members on the waiting list... (and their main contact is the drooling people at the auto shows and us nuts) is that we love the car and would do anything to get it. I actually do not think that is true, though it may be for some. I think I am a total nut, and I question a $45k msrp and I am sure I am out at $47k. With tax, license, destination... that car is over $50k with zero options.

The net result is... (like any company does with a marketing business plan).... you can sell X cars at one price... and Y cars for a higher price. They could still sell Elises at $45k. But how many?

If the number is 20% of present sales... that probably does not make sense.

A side note...

It is becoming more apparent to me that Elisetalk does not operate in a vacuum. I read in magazine reviews things that were discussed here. I am very aware that because of that, there is a responsibility here to tread carefully. We don't want to alarm people or mispeak. We don't want to claim that Hethel burned down on April 1.

Just a side note...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think it depends on what cars are available at the time.

Right now, I'd go up to $45K. But if the new 911, new Boxster, new Corvette, a Turbo RX8 or RX7, were on the market, I think I may have to reconsider even $42K.

There aren't enough current Lotus owner to sell cars on brand loyalty, especially for the volume Lotus wants. If Lotus wants to get fresh blood BUT still is considering a price hike, they really should study the current and upcoming competitors very carefully. $50K is a bit much for a narrow focused track car, especially if your thinking of volumes over 3,000 cars per year.
Arnie was right in keeping it below $40K. Build your new U.S. customer base and introduce a new car at a higher price in a few years.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got the touring package and CO, so if they bumped up the price a penny, I'd be out. I'm probably out anyway, but best case is that I'm in for the current price.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Randy Chase said:

We don't want to claim that Hethel burned down on April 1.
That WOULD explain the delay in delivery date :D

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I am planning on buying a few dealer installed goodies, maybe an extra set of wheels, and trying my dealer out for service. If the price went up, I wouldn't do any of this. For other people, they have the Boxster coupe at under $50k for a base model and would look quite tempting. Porsche has excellent dealer presence and service. Mitsubishi also has that pesky $35k Evo MR.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Randy Chase said:
On the other hand...if the poll showed that a large number of people would drop off the list?
That is not a poll option.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Right now (7:20 PST, May 18), we're showing 26 percent would drop out at the LOWEST price hike. That is significant. One might extrapolate that if this lowest price hike had been the original MSRP published all the way along, the current US cumulative waiting list would be at 2200-2500 depositees. I don't believe this is a number large enough to cause what we are currently experiencing -- what I think we can describe as "critical-mass-level excitement and anticipation."

Though, of cours, my math and numbers could be way off.

Regardless, right now, with its current pricing, Lotus is guaranteed buzz and interest for at least 18-24 months, which is what it needs for its foothold in the US. (Right?) If it simply sold all the cars it was EVER going to sell in year one, then it wouldn't have much of business plan.

The current MSRP is sound. It is the right MSRP. I personally would jump to another car past the 41.5K point for the baseline package. I would get an Evo; certainly a different car, but I have talked to enough road testers to be convinced that it is an experience all to itself.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts