The Lotus Cars Community banner

Do you still have your factory wheel locks installed on your Elige?

• Yes. I have fancy wheels and I wanna keep them.

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • No. They are a pain to deal with every time you need a wheel off.

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No - and you can have my key for our library. Good Riddens.

Votes: 9 21.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any excuse for a poll. But seriously - I want to know how many of you would be willing to donate your wheel lock socket keys to our "library" - so that we might get a complete collection of all 24 key variations. You know, for those poor unfortunate souls that have purchased a vehicle without a key, and now those locks are holding those wheels hostage. Pretty hard to change a tire if you can't get the wheel off the darn car. I removed all mine a long time ago , and have not looked back. So I'll dig mine up and throw it in the mix.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Gave mine away. Went with ARP studs and nuts. No locks on my RAC Monolites.

San

·
Registered
280 Posts
Did not have them on mine otherwise you would have been welcome to it as well.
It seems like the Lotus lug bolt and key would be enough of a deterrence for would be thieves.
I mean what other car has that?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good point.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have no idea what I did with my locking wheel bolts and socket. I changed my tires precisely one time with them. I immediately ordered 4 more "normal" ones. And Sarenar is right, what thug has a huge 12pt spline socket in their tool bag anyway?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that was our point - these are useless to everyone. Except those that bought a car without one. That said, i bet half the cars out there - are still wearing them. I guess it's about $625 to buy the set of keys. Ouch!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well... i guess the library is closed due to lack of will. C'est la something or other...

·
Registered
685 Posts
?

Mine didn't come with locking lugs, did I forget to check that box when ordering it:shrug:

What sarenar said, I can't believe I considered getting LOJACK for my bargin priced exotic. It looks like a toy any respectable car thief wouldn't waste his time and gang bangers like minivans with sliding doors for drive-bys.

:p

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Much like OldManSan, I went with studs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oops I voted I still have them...had no clue that there was another keyed locking lug. I thought the 12 points were the locking lugs. No clue if a previous owner replaced mine or what, but I've learned something new.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
well... i guess the library is closed due to lack of will. C'est la something or other...
Seems hasty to give up so quickly. I don't know if mine will have the locking lugs when it arrives, but I plan ditch them pretty quickly and will happily donate the key to the key master...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine didn't have them when I got it. If it did, I would have removed them and donated my key.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we'll give it some time...

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Previous owner changed to studs. I didn't get the key. Mine gets locked in the garage anyway and you would have to get by about 220 pounds of very protective German Shephards to get to it!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so far 4 people have donated keys, in theory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just realized that I have locking wheel nut and I don't have the key. Trying to contact the previous owner but he has been MIA recently. Does anyone know how many different combinations there were for the 05 Elise?

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
So my Elise arrived yesterday and does not have locking wheel lugs, and I didn't get a key. So I can't donate it, but at least I don;t have to go find one. That said, the lugs are nasty looking and I will be changing to studs post haste

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,115 Posts
Dealer removed them at my request when purchased. Who steals wheels anymore?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I would change my response if possible to donate to the library

I already broke the outside sheath twice.

still useable as I took off the keyed lugs, but would not recommend using it without a gun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts