The Lotus Cars Community banner

Should I get my own bedroom?

• Yes. "C" moves in with "I" and "S" and leaves "J" alone in the room.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get my own room but Mom and Dad still want me to share a room with my sister C. I've been trying to argue my point and I think Mom is seeing my side a little more now. I'm going to be 11 in July and I need my own space. I have no privacy at all in the house. I think my own room would give me some privacy and help keep my sisters from constantly hassling me.

Dad said to set up a poll and he would abide by the results of the poll but he said I had to tell you all the details.

We have 4 bedrooms upstairs. One is Mom and Dad's room. There are 5 girls in the family right now. I share a room with "C" (almost 9 years old). "I" (6 years old) and "S" (4 years old) share a room. "G" is the youngest (she's 14 months old) and has her own room, which has always been used as the nursery. Mom and Dad are going to have more kids and will make "G" move in with "I" and "S" permanently if the next kid is a boy and temporarily if it is a girl.

We have a guest bedroom in the basement that is used by both sets of my Grandparents when they visit and anyone else that comes to visit. We usually have someone in the guest room every month for at least a few days.

I wouldn't mind moving into the guest bedroom but Mom and Dad said no to that because it is used a lot.

Dad says the only way that I could get my own bedroom is if we build onto the house. He thinks that is too much and he said, "just suck it up."

So, please help me get my own bedroom :).

Thanks,
J

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Your Mom and Dad know best.

Say yes to them, do your homework, get great grades, and one of these days you'll get your own room....

....and your own car.

Cool. :D

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Wouldn't you rather have one of these when you're 17?

Do what your parents say! It makes a difference! rotfl

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hi Roadkid J,

I shared a room with my brother until he graduated college and got married. It was nice when he was away at school, but sucked bad when he came home, so I know how you feel.

Well, my advice is to continue being a good roadkid, You have let them know you need your space. Hopefully that dream room will become yours soon enough.

You need to be carefull for what you wish for though, IF you get moved out on your own, your room will still be the guest room, and you will find yourself, at least once a month, sleeping on the floor in your sister's room or on the couch when the grandparents come to visit!

Dave

·
Registered
856 Posts
PS,

That poll was one of the hardest wordproblems I have ever read/ You should get a job with the SAT board! HA!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't you rather have one of these when you're 17?

Do what your parents say! It makes a difference! rotfl
I almost always do what my parents say. I mess up sometimes. Dad says he does, too.

Dad asked me on Saturday if I liked an old Europa he was looking at for sale. I said, "Yes, of course." Then he asked me if I would drive it to school. I said, "Only if you'd let me." He said, "Help me talk Mom into letting us buy it for you." She's not going for it.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
You need to have an answer to your poll that reads "Tell mom and dad to stop having so many kids". :D-poke-

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
If "J" actually wrote all of that I'm both impressed with her and RoadDad and RoadMom. That said, "J" makes a rational and eloquent argument, and I'd be inclined to see what could be done to help her out in her quest.

Adding onto the house is obviously a big step, but then it seems to be an expected hazard to having 5+ kids...

Good luck "J" :).

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I almost always do what my parents say. I mess up sometimes. Dad says he does, too.

Dad asked me on Saturday if I liked an old Europa he was looking at for sale. I said, "Yes, of course." Then he asked me if I would drive it to school. I said, "Only if you'd let me." He said, "Help me talk Mom into letting us buy it for you." She's not going for it.
I have a 15 year old who is really into cars.

He is a great kid, has a great sense of humor and does well in school.

It really makes a difference! :D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sorry, I vote "Suck it Up." Your parents will have everyone complaining if they show you favoritism by giving you your own room. What would they tell, C, I, S, and G when they ask for their own rooms?

… and tell your dad to leave your mom alone – 5 kids and counting :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 15 year old who is really into cars.

He is a great kid, has a great sense of humor and does well in school.

It really makes a difference! :D
I graduated from elementary school on the A honor roll, got the President's Award for Educational Excellece, was selected for the National Junior Leaders Conference in Washington, D.C., won a regional award for a short story I wrote, was the 5th grade spelling champion and do all of my chores at home :D. Dad sometimes tells me I work too hard.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i voted addition. sounds like it will have to happen at some point, why not now..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sell kids, buy a bigger house. =)

If the rooms are big enough, try buying some dividing walls.

The biggest issue of course is, what happens down the line if you set a precedent now that you get your own room at 11? 5 kids so far, with more possible in the future (that poor mom!) You'll run out of space fast.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I graduated from elementary school on the A honor roll, got the President's Award for Educational Excellece, was selected for the National Junior Leaders Conference in Washington, D.C., won a regional award for a short story I wrote, was the 5th grade spelling champion and do all of my chores at home :D. Dad sometimes tells me I work too hard.
Do you know how to spell Numna?

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I would argue that the guest room should be made into a bedroom. I'm sure you and any of your siblings would be happy to give up your room when you have guests.

Having to share a room with a sibling can be a valuable lesson in sharing. Even so, I would recommend that you and your siblings get to take turns getting a bedroom to yourself. Whether that changes every year or two would be for all of you to decide.

How's that sound?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts