• I'm waiting for the performance Emira version

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I'm waiting for the V6 base manual and options cost

Votes: 22 16.3%
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just meaning that if you are on the bench at whatever price and havnt driven an Elise or Evora before. I bet if you do you will increase your budget.
Oh, that I agree with. There may also be those who want too much refinement and may be disappointed with how the Lotus feels. Personally, I am ready to receive the full experience. Lay it on me.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Currently evaluating the whole situation. I dont like how they are phasing the prices out piece by piece, just drop it all. :)

Reactions: kratedisease

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh, that I agree with. There may also be those who want too much refinement and may be disappointed with how the Lotus feels. Personally, I am ready to receive the full experience. Lay it on me.
Yeah, I for one will be disappointed if it doesn't have a bit more refinement than my daily driver.

Though, my daily driver has had all the rubber suspension bushings changed out to urethane or similar, urethane engine & trans mounts, solid diff mount, shocks kept on the same settings for street as the track, squealy DS1.11 track pads, etc.

The Emira is my new Cadillac!!! ;)

I suggest all these mods for everyone who is married though. I find I rarely have to drive when going anywhere with my wife.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have a feeling the days of the Elise/Exige feel in Lotus cars are gone. The Evora still had some but I think the Emira is going to be a true daily with Lotus soul.....if that makes sense. I'm fine that. I'm with you Nova and can't wait to experience a drive in this new Lotus.

Reactions: SpyderBite

·
Registered
288 Posts
The FE price is enticing enough to keep it in the running. Low enough to forgive certain interior options being only available for the auto and not the manual. Now awaiting base V6 price (I imagine mid-80s) and Z06 comparo reviews--not for track times but to weigh driver enjoyment and theater against dollar spent. We should start seeing this from auto journalists early-to-mid 2022 before purchases for either car begin later in the year.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Waiting for the good ones....hmmmm 481/482........hmmmmmm

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am a fan of AMG. The M139 is a monster of an engine. I know it will result in great things in the Emira. For me, however, I just want to have one more manual before I go automatic/electric forever. I missed the S2000, I am not missing the Emira with a manual.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am a fan of AMG. The M139 is a monster of an engine. I know it will result in great things in the Emira. For me, however, I just want to have one more manual before I go automatic/electric forever. I missed the S2000, I am not missing the Emira with a manual.
Agree, the future will be all auto and the electric will outperform all ICE anyways. That's why I’m going with the manual. If you look at use car market auto vs manual for the same car, you will find that a manual resells much higher. For example, a 90s BMW 850 v12 manual cost at least 3 times the v12 automatics. If you plan to hold to the car and pass it down to your kids, the manual is the one to get. After 20 years, the manual Emira will appreciate much more than the automatics.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
Agree, the future will be all auto and the electric will outperform all ICE anyways. That's why I’m going with the manual. If you look at use car market auto vs manual for the same car, you will find that a manual resells much higher. For example, a 90s BMW 850 v12 manual cost at least 3 times the v12 automatics. If you plan to hold to the car and pass it down to your kids, the manual is the one to get. After 20 years, the manual Emira will appreciate much more than the automatics.
Another reason why manuals are worth more than auto's is that they're cheaper/easier to maintain with less to go wrong. At least in Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. I don't know the market for most other cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder how many plan to sell their FE. I am filling the order and I will decide if I plan to sell it or keep it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks like there are 5 times the demand for manuals than the automatics on this forum. Unless the manual fans are much more vocal and the auto folks are just shy to share.

The manuals are also in higher demand for the Evora models as well; therefore, used manual Evoras fetch higher $. Lotus buyers are looking for the ultimate driving experiences. And that's Lotus forte; otherwise, I would go to other brands for the auto. The only reason I would buy an auto is to have another Lotus for my wife to drive me around. I hope Lotus understand this and produces much more manuals than auto.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think DCT will hold value. It's really an auto-clutch and you can't really compare it to old auto slush boxes in sports cars. Now the IPS Auto trans...yeah, those values will tank.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
Looks like there are 5 times the demand for manuals than the automatics on this forum. Unless the manual fans are much more vocal and the auto folks are just shy to share.

The manuals are also in higher demand for the Evora models as well; therefore, used manual Evoras fetch higher $. Lotus buyers are looking for the ultimate driving experiences. And that's Lotus forte; otherwise, I would go to other brands for the auto. The only reason I would buy an auto is to have another Lotus for my wife to drive me around. I hope Lotus understand this and produces much more manuals than auto.
In terms of manuals vs a slush-box automatic, I think it's fair to say for a car like this a manual will be in higher demand.

If I had a choice, I would take a DCT (also called an automatic) over a manual - except it's not available, not with a V6.

So what you're seeing is due to selection bias. Another factor to consider is that manual is an option Lotus has which competition, like the C8 doesn't. So it's a form of choice-supportive bias. It's one way people justify to themselves why the Evora/Emira don't have to match the C8 on performance, for example. Because the Lotus cars have this feature the C8 doesn't.

Bottom line: people like to lie to themselves and others all the time to justify emotional decisions. This is especially important with luxury goods, because you're not buying them for utility. Example, I have an expensive Swiss watch, but my phone can tell time more accurately and is always in my pocket, so I come up with justifications to spends thousands of tens of thousands on a watch. From a utility perspective, the fact that it's automatic (vs. quartz) movement is a negative, but I make up reasons for why it's a positive.. you know: craftsmanship, history, tradition, art, jewelry and so on.

Lastly, it's possible that some people prefer automatics but don't say it or argue for it in fear of being shunned... you know, it's not as "cool."

So yeah, I'd take a DCT over manual... ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
The only reason I'm considering Emira is the manual offering. I'm only ok with a DCT C8 because its other desirable attributes make up for it. Objectively Cayman offers the best of both worlds but its styling just isn't enticing and is missing an x-factor (maybe lacks the newness of Emira and C8 refreshingly coming onto the scene as disruptors bringing more supercar-like appeal down into lower price ranges).

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
I've done plenty of rowing in my days. Give me the quickest shifting tranny you got! This ain't gonna get driven like grandpa on the back roads!

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
43 Posts
In terms of manuals vs a slush-box automatic, I think it's fair to say for a car like this a manual will be in higher demand.

If I had a choice, I would take a DCT (also called an automatic) over a manual - except it's not available, not with a V6.

So what you're seeing is due to selection bias. Another factor to consider is that manual is an option Lotus has which competition, like the C8 doesn't. So it's a form of choice-supportive bias. It's one way people justify to themselves why the Evora/Emira don't have to match the C8 on performance, for example. Because the Lotus cars have this feature the C8 doesn't.

Bottom line: people like to lie to themselves and others all the time to justify emotional decisions. This is especially important with luxury goods, because you're not buying them for utility. Example, I have an expensive Swiss watch, but my phone can tell time more accurately and is always in my pocket, so I come up with justifications to spends thousands of tens of thousands on a watch. From a utility perspective, the fact that it's automatic (vs. quartz) movement is a negative, but I make up reasons for why it's a positive.. you know: craftsmanship, history, tradition, art, jewelry and so on.

Lastly, it's possible that some people prefer automatics but don't say it or argue for it in fear of being shunned... you know, it's not as "cool."

So yeah, I'd take a DCT over manual... ;)
Thoughtful post and I agree with you on all points. All those factors are definitely at play and explain the higher representation of manuals here vs. the choices that most buyers make in the real world (which for example for Porsche 911s is well below 50% manual when PDK or manual are options).

That said, there are some of us who are simply manual die hards (for lack of a better term). I am only interested in manual 3 pedal cars, all my cars are manuals and I just don't consider a new car purchase if a manual is not an option. I have tried DCTs (owned 2 PDK cars and driven countless others on street and track) and they just don't appeal to me personally.

So there are lots of reasons why people will/might choose manual - the great thing is that we do get a choice (unlike, say, Ferrari whose product lineup has gotten as exciting to me as Toyota's minivan section when they went all automatic 10+ years ago). Good on Lotus (and Porsche, BMW, Aston (for now) and a handful of others for still offering the choice) even as fewer and fewer people order manuals..

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
Thoughtful post and I agree with you on all points. All those factors are definitely at play and explain the higher representation of manuals here vs. the choices that most buyers make in the real world (which for example for Porsche 911s is well below 50% manual when PDK or manual are options).

That said, there are some of us who are simply manual die hards (for lack of a better term). I am only interested in manual 3 pedal cars, all my cars are manuals and I just don't consider a new car purchase if a manual is not an option. I have tried DCTs (owned 2 PDK cars and driven countless others on street and track) and they just don't appeal to me personally.

So there are lots of reasons why people will/might choose manual - the great thing is that we do get a choice (unlike, say, Ferrari whose product lineup has gotten as exciting to me as Toyota's minivan section when they went all automatic 10+ years ago). Good on Lotus (and Porsche, BMW, Aston (for now) and a handful of others for still offering the choice) even as fewer and fewer people order manuals..
I completely understand the desire for 3-pedals. When I used to live in New England and had backroads to just enjoy a drive, I loved my manual cars too. Now I live in a metro area in flat Florida where rowing that manual in traffic just isn't as appealing. I have one manual and like the engagement at times, but other times I'm sitting in traffic thinking to myself: why am I doing this to myself? So I drive my Tesla way more than other cars due to practicality.

So if I get a manual Emira it'll probably be more of a garage queen than I'd like. Unfortunately I won't get to drive an i4 w/DCT and a V6 w/manual before ordering the car, so I have to choose sound/power or convenience... we'll see. Slush-box auto isn't an option, I hate the feel of driving automatics. If I were ordering a Porsche, to your point, I'd take the 6-cyl with PDK ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I think DCT will hold value. It's really an auto-clutch and you can't really compare it to old auto slush boxes in sports cars. Now the IPS Auto trans...yeah, those values will tank.
You are probably right. But will it still hold its value against the new Lotus EV? This is my reason for getting the manual version Emira and later add the Lotus EV which has only auto version. Owners are probably more likely to trade in the Emira auto vs the manual for the new Lotus EV.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts