• I'm waiting for the performance Emira version

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I'm waiting for the V6 base manual and options cost

Votes: 22 16.3%
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
You are probably right. But will it still hold its value against the new Lotus EV? This is my reason for getting the manual version Emira and later add the Lotus EV which has only auto version. Owners are probably more likely to trade in the Emira auto vs the manual for the new Lotus EV.
Everything will depend on how that EV looks vs. the Emira.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m still on board for sure. I loved my M4 but after driving a 996 cab and an M2 I realized how gigantic the M4 was. I loved my M2. It was a manual and a great looking car. Blast to drive. It was too fast like any car in this segment in all honesty for the street. I’ve never tracked my own car, just some some exotics at Dream Racing in Las Vegas.

The Emira is one of the best looking cars I’ve ever seen. It comes with a manual. It’s not turbo charged. Where I am Lotus cars are ultra rare. Having never owned a lotus I can’t complain how the Emira is too big, too heavy etc. I’m glad they seemed to have improved the interior quality and amenities because I’m hoping to drive it every day weather permitting. I expect it to handle great, and be a blast to drive.

I think I’m the target audience for this car in all honesty. Looking forward to the possibility of being a lotus owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love how the car looks.... but the touch screen and a digital cluster. What a disappointment. Gauge cluster should be mechanical to fit the ethos of the car, and the very minimum the tach.

Ideally screen/navi would be optional or at least hidden. I'd rather have reverse camera display via mirror, rather than stupid screen sticking out a like sore thumb.

Then the e-brake/parking brake, too bad it's not a manually actuated one.

I am not a Luddite, but all the electronic gizmos are just annoying, useless, will prematurely fail, and just detract from could be last analog ICE Lotus.

End of the company as far as I am concerned. Not interested in EV sports car. Have an EV for commuting and that's where it stops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love how the car looks.... but the touch screen and a digital cluster. What a disappointment. Gauge cluster should be mechanical to fit the ethos of the car, and the very minimum the tach.

Ideally screen/navi would be optional or at least hidden. I'd rather have reverse camera display via mirror, rather than stupid screen sticking out a like sore thumb.

I am not a Luddite, but all the electronic gizmos are just annoying, useless, will prematurely fail, and just detract from could be last analog ICE Lotus.

End of the company as far as I am concerned. Not interested in EV sports car. Have an EV for commuting and that's where it stops.
And you are on this forum why? We get it you hate Lotus and because you said so, they are doomed. Go buy a used Alfa 4C fits your brief?

·
Registered
34 Posts
And you are on this forum why? We get it you hate Lotus and because you said so, they are doomed. Go buy a used Alfa 4C fits your brief?
Hate Lotus? Reading comprehension problems?

Love my 2006 Elise Sport. Never getting rid of it... maybe once I cannot get in/out of it anymore ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
This would be an interesting POLL. How many potential Emira owners have driven a Lotus.
Because once youve driven a 7, Elan, Elise, Evora I think you end up not caring too much about the price.
The twin turbo V8 some want in the Emira was the reason I drove an Esprit. It belonged on your list.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Yea, but what if the ethos of the car is to be a transition to the future and therefore a digital gauge cluster? I mean, a lot of real race cars use digital clusters…

·
Registered
288 Posts

If Lotus gets the big stuff actually related to driving right, I don't care about mechanical controls missing on the small non-driving stuff. Mechanical controls wear over time and technology has reached a point where digital displays are more reliable than ever. Almost everyone has one in their pocket now, even bums on the street or 3rd world countries. E-brake replaced handbrake to accommodate more cupholders for mass appeal (and saves weight). These deliberate changes won't kill Lotus--they'll keep them competitive.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Someone wanted to keep a manual handbrake ?

What’s next, the old geezers will complain that the Emira does not have crank windows also ?

·
Registered
165 Posts

What’s next, the old geezers will complain that the Emira does not have crank windows also ?
Real handbrake is one of my favorite features of my 400. I also will miss the staggered wheel sizes and single wiper. Its a manual, why the hell would I not want a real handbrake?

I'm not against modern stuff either, I own an NSX.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

If you are comparing hand brake to crank windows then, you probably only use the hand brake to park a car. Crank or power windows has nothing to do with driving. With handbrake, you can apply different pressure to control the car driving dynamics at different speed.

I just be from an older generation. When I got my license in the early 90s at 15 year-old, I already learned how to use a handbrake for driving at higher speed, making fast turns, going up hills in a manual. I have used the handbrake countless times over the years, and it had saved me from many accidents. My favorite moment in driving when I constantly must use the left foot on the clutch, right foot on gas/brake pedals, left hand on the steering wheels, and right hand on the handbrake. All my senses come alive like driving orgasm. This is a reason why I must have at least 1 manual in my garage. If the manual Emira has no handbrake, then it cannot offer the same driving experience as the previous Lotus cars.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you are comparing hand brake to crank windows then, you probably only use the hand brake to park a car. Crank or power windows has nothing to do with driving. With handbrake, you can apply different pressure to control the car driving dynamics at different speed.

I just be from an older generation. When I got my license in the early 90s at 15 year-old, I already learned how to use a handbrake for driving at higher speed, making fast turns, going up hills in a manual. I have used the handbrake countless times over the years, and it had saved me from many accidents. My favorite moment in driving when I constantly must use the left foot on the clutch, right foot on gas/brake pedals, left hand on the steering wheels, and right hand on the handbrake. All my senses come alive like driving orgasm. This is a reason why I must have at least 1 manual in my garage. If the manual Emira has no handbrake, then it cannot offer the same driving experience as the previous Lotus cars.
Yes, of course.... I know that....I was being sarcastic to a certain extent.... The handbrake allows the ability to control the rear end, but who uses that on a track while racing ?? .....only YOUR generation is still using a handbrake for power siding and drifting.... Thats so 1990's !!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The handbrake allows the ability to control the rear end, but who uses that on a track while racing ?? .....only YOUR generation is still using a handbrake for power siding and drifting.... Thats so 1990's !!
Reading comprehension problems? I did not say anything about using handbrake for power siding or drifting.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Reading comprehension problems? I did not say anything about using handbrake for power siding or drifting.
Had a bad day...... or had a bad life.... problems ?, touch- touchy are you....quite sensitive you are apparently....

lighten up !! Most of my posts are meant to be humorous. Don't take me too seriously.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Had a bad day...... or had a bad life.... problems ?, touch- touchy are you....quite sensitive you are apparently....

lighten up !! Most of my posts are meant to be humorous. Don't take me too seriously.
No problem here. Looks like you are the one that is having a problem with Lotus FE pricing and now waiting for Lotus to release the V6 base pricing from your other thread.

·
Registered
426 Posts
No problem here. Looks like you are the one that is having a problem with Lotus FE pricing and now waiting for Lotus to release the V6 base pricing from your other thread.

oooooh, not really,.....The only problem for me is deciding if its gonna be a C8 Z06 or an EMIRA, and the delay in pricing still not released by LOTUS is annoying. But, I still have my sense of humor, unlike some others.

I guess you yourself are have reading comprehension problems.....AS I stated....Most of my posts are meant to be humorous, don't take me to seriously. ( re-read my post #57)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
oooooh, not really,.....The only problem for me is deciding if its gonna be a C8 Z06 or an EMIRA, and the delay in pricing still not released by LOTUS is annoying. But, I still have my sense of humor, unlike some others.

I guess you yourself are have reading comprehension problems.....AS I stated....Most of my posts are meant to be humorous, don't take me to seriously. ( re-read my post #57)
Nope, you need to re-read your post. You asked me a question - if I had problems so I response "No problem".

I agree your post is funny so I replied. No matter how you play it, you still have a problem of deciding which car to buy. I would buy both - problem solved.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Since I have two reservations, I selected two options:
  • Maybe, I'm still evaluating
  • I'm waiting for the performance Emira version
same

·
Registered
34 Posts
If Lotus gets the big stuff actually related to driving right, I don't care about mechanical controls missing on the small non-driving stuff. Mechanical controls wear over time and technology has reached a point where digital displays are more reliable than ever. Almost everyone has one in their pocket now, even bums on the street or 3rd world countries. E-brake replaced handbrake to accommodate more cupholders for mass appeal (and saves weight). These deliberate changes won't kill Lotus--they'll keep them competitive.
Reliability aside it is just cheapening of the experience. Many cars from cheap/mid-grade cars to sports car have now one. Why? Cost cutting. Digital display gauge is likely cheaper now. It's a "2D" generic vs. 3D physical gauge specific to a car. It's like comparing Apple Watch to a Rolex... sort of. One surely is more feature rich but it's still cheap digital garbage.

I suppose this is part of the formula to make this car semi affordable. Still a shame.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Reliability aside it is just cheapening of the experience. Many cars from cheap/mid-grade cars to sports car have now one. Why? Cost cutting. Digital display gauge is likely cheaper now. It's a "2D" generic vs. 3D physical gauge specific to a car. It's like comparing Apple Watch to a Rolex... sort of. One surely is more feature rich but it's still cheap digital garbage.

I suppose this is part of the formula to make this car semi affordable. Still a shame.
The gauge clusters on modern cars have been electronic for a long time. The old cable-driven mechanical speedometers were unreliable and prone to error over time. All of the little needles in more recent cars are driven by motors or other electro-magnetic means, which in turn are set using electronics. A somewhat famous anecdote is that once a car warms up, the water temperature needle on modern cars are set to not move at all unless there is a real overtemperature situation, to prevent owner anxiety and unnecessary complaints to the dealer.

While the LCD display itself is certainly cheaper to manufacture, there needs to be a rather capable computer and sophisticated software behind the display. That's where the value lies in a modern dash display. So I would say the comparison is more like an Apple watch to a quartz Timex.

I do understand the draw of an analog device and own mechanical watches.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts