• No

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Yes, if it was $80k base

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Yes, if it was $70k base

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Yes, if it was $60k base

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Why does it have to be so darn expensive if it's justa stretched Exige with a 6?

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Yes, but can't they improve the interior a little?

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) no
2) yes if it was $80k base
3) yes if it was $70k base
4) yes if it was $60k base
5) why does it have to be so darn expensive, if it's really just a stretched Exige with a V6?
6) yes, but can't they improve the interior at least a little?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Try setting up as a poll

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
What a skewed poll. As it is, right now at this very moment in the UK, the car (coverted to US Dollars) starts at $85,896 and with just a few (and I mean few options) starts exceeding $100k.

The track-only version that can come here is already approximated to be starting out at $85-90k. (this has not been officially confirmed - could be higher)

So why will a potential street legal version with equipment compliant to meet federal requirements be less expensive???

$60 or $70k is an absurd choice that will not happen.

And as I already stated in your other thread (Exige S production started today) some still are not getting it :wallbang:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Too lazy to look up the numbers but it should be very easy to estimate what the cost would be in the US, should it ever happen.

((cost of US S2 exige in 2011)/(cost of UK same model))* cost or UK S3

Barring any major change in UK/US trade climate, this will get you within a few percent.

No I would not buy a new one. I am to cheap / poor. I would definately buy a used one in a few years though. Just like I did with my elise and current exige.

I don't forsee a DOT example in the US in the near future though, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a skewed poll. As it is, right now at this very moment in the UK, the car (coverted to US Dollars) starts at $85,896 and with just a few (and I mean few options) starts exceeding $100k.

The track-only version that can come here is already approximated to be starting out at $85-90k. (this has not been officially confirmed - could be higher)

So why will a potential street legal version with equipment compliant to meet federal requirements be less expensive???

$60 or $70k is an absurd choice that will not happen.

And as I already stated in your other thread (Exige S production started today) some still are not getting it :wallbang:
I started this poll in response to a recent post by Abe that said one of the reasons the S2 Elise came to the US was because of interest from fans. Given that another post recently said over 2,000 Lotus cars were produced last year (?), and given the small number sold in the US, it doesn't seem like we're the most important market anymore, so we'll need to be vocal if we want to see any new cars. But, I recognize that there are folks who do not want to see new cars, or at least "new" cars; that is, vehicles that differ from the current range in any significant way. Those who fall into this group can say "no" in the poll; or ignore it.

I don't think you can generalize about vehicle prices based on what they cost in other countries. For example, the base price of the MB S500 in Germany is about 100k euros, or about $123k. However, MBUSA says the S550 (presumably an even more expesnive model), starts at $95,000 in the US. Similarly, the current Elise S lists at around 41k GPB (no hard top, but with AC, standard colors), which would be about $64k. For 2011 (so bump this up 3%-5%?) the US Elise SC started at $54k.

Since it seems Lotus had a hard time selling Evoras for between $70k-$80k, I didn't use $90k as it seemed unlikely they could sell an Exige (same engine and trans with no creature comforts?) for $90k.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I believe if you are checking off the box for a $60k to $80k Exige S, you are in effect saying DO NOT produce a street legal version for the U.S. Why should Lotus, given all its financial woes, go through the expense of legalizing the car for the U.S. market to lose as $10k, 20k or as much as $30k on each vehicle sold AND potentially weaken Evora sales (granted they are very different cars). I appreciate the poll, but shall interpret the results as "NO" for the $80k choice, "NO WAY" for the $70k choice, and "DILLUSIONALLY NO" for the $60k choice. The only way that I see the Exige S as coming to the U.S. as a street legal car, if it were to come here as a "Halo" vehicle, costing $120k+, but that's a tough one because of Lotus's financial situation AND it is not a Halo vehicle in other markets. The Halo vehicle for all markets, including the U.S., should be reserved for the Esprit, and I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Lotus, go back to your roots, and provide us something that Porsche and Ferrari are NOT providing us.

vincesf

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
rather keep my 335 hp Elise. It cost 37k new. (5900 miles new) Good luck matching that price to performance.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
At the price the car would likely sell here, I would lean towards some other car, such as the BAC Mono (125k) or a Ultima GTR (80k with all goodies).

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
The biggest problem with this car as a true race car is the cost of its shell. If it was all lightweight composite material that is easily repaired, great, otherwise it just becomes an over the top track expense. As Elise is paid for its a writeoff I can handle. 20K is a lot less painful than 80-100K!!! I'll convert my Evora in a few years when it enters the affordable zone. Als it will end up being like most Nobles,- owned by folks with more money than skill. There are always exceptions and you know who you are.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd buy one at 90K. I know you could buy a stripper Porsche for that but then you'd have a Porsche. I seriously doubt we will ever see the V6 here but maybe...just maybe...with new management ....

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I started this poll in response to a recent post by Abe that said one of the reasons the S2 Elise came to the US was because of interest from fans. Given that another post recently said over 2,000 Lotus cars were produced last year (?), and given the small number sold in the US, it doesn't seem like we're the most important market anymore, so we'll need to be vocal if we want to see any new cars. But, I recognize that there are folks who do not want to see new cars, or at least "new" cars; that is, vehicles that differ from the current range in any significant way. Those who fall into this group can say "no" in the poll; or ignore it.

I don't think you can generalize about vehicle prices based on what they cost in other countries. For example, the base price of the MB S500 in Germany is about 100k euros, or about $123k. However, MBUSA says the S550 (presumably an even more expesnive model), starts at $95,000 in the US. Similarly, the current Elise S lists at around 41k GPB (no hard top, but with AC, standard colors), which would be about $64k. For 2011 (so bump this up 3%-5%?) the US Elise SC started at $54k.

Since it seems Lotus had a hard time selling Evoras for between $70k-$80k, I didn't use $90k as it seemed unlikely they could sell an Exige (same engine and trans with no creature comforts?) for $90k.
I respect Abe but you can have all the "fans" you want and it doesn't change Lotus's circumstances.

Lotus, under Dany's former direction, funneled most of this projects funds into redoing the exterior styling - any remaining funds left over were used by engineering for chassis dynamics and Bosche's calibration. Those who persistently kept driving this project wanted to make the car saleable in all markets from the start. The exterior design had been finalized as far back as 2007 when this project began. The GT3 concept was eventually going to be the housing for the V6 by 2011. Because Coco insisted the Exige V6 blend in with the 'new era' design (and because he was a recruit of Dany's) Lotus purposefully chose not to develop the Exige V6 so it would be saleable in all markets and instead, rather, disproportionately allocate funds to redoing something which had already been finished. They chose not to allocate funds at that crucial time in development when it would have been optimal and most conducive to do that. It wasn't a mistake or an oversight to not develop the Exige V6 with federal requirements in mind. It was a deliberate and purposeful choice based on fund allocation.

By the way - Coco's revised design has ensured the Exige S as it currently is, cannot be federally compliant. He made a point of putting that awkward rear bumper on which really isn't a bumper. It is, like the S2, part of the rear clam. That is a big heavy chunk of fiberglass just sitting there. Unlike the S2, which adapted to bumper requirements in 07 with the 'bumperettes', the new Exige V6 rear bumper design dow not allow for any such impact absorbing item to be retrofitted or incorporated.

The time to have accomodated federal requirements was during pre-production development. It isn't realistic for Lotus to invest in making federally-compliant changes that will cost more now after the fact with development finalized. The Exige S literally (finally) has just gone into production as of last Friday. This isn't like when the S2 that recieved exemptions till 2007; Lotus is no longer eligible for that option.

And, for arguements sake, what if Lotus was compelled to go down that path to federalize the Exige V6 - what is the return of investment? A few hundred cars annually. That wouldn't warrant or cover the cost of the hardware and retooling involved. In case you haven't noticed, DRB-Hicom is very fiscally minded. They aren't about to go into the red. If Lotus had the funds to put into revising and federalizing the Exige S there are stronger, better ways to spend that money right now to balance it's books.

You are right the Evora has poor sales. The price-point has a lot to do with that for most average buyers. Fact is the Exige Sport 260 in North America retailed for $76,000. Exige final editions retailed for around $70,000 (and they didn't even have most of the equipment the Sport 260 had). You seriously think Lotus is now going to offer an Exige with an Evora subframe, engine and revised suspension for less than the previous version??? To undermine Evora sales even further???

The non street-legal version to be sold here (which is essentially the car for sale in other markets) is estimated to start at $85,000 to $90,000. (Example 1 and example 2). This should be officially confirmed or corrected in the near future - around the time the Cup version premiers at Brands Hatch. And again, in this poll, the assumption a federalized version with revised airbags, bumpers, reflectors, etc will be offered for less? :shrug: $60k, $70k...seriously? :huh:

·
Registered
553 Posts
No that i have an exige... I would probably buy a gtr or something different if i had the money.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I respect Abe but you can have all the "fans" you want and it doesn't change Lotus's circumstances.

Lotus, under Dany's former direction, funneled most of this projects funds into redoing the exterior styling - any remaining funds left over were used by engineering for chassis dynamics and Bosche's calibration. Those who persistently kept driving this project wanted to make the car saleable in all markets from the start. The exterior design had been finalized as far back as 2007 when this project began. The GT3 concept was eventually going to be the housing for the V6 by 2011. Because Coco insisted the Exige V6 blend in with the 'new era' design (and because he was a recruit of Dany's) Lotus purposefully chose not to develop the Exige V6 so it would be saleable in all markets and instead, rather, disproportionately allocate funds to redoing something which had already been finished. They chose not to allocate funds at that crucial time in development when it would have been optimal and most conducive to do that. It wasn't a mistake or an oversight to not develop the Exige V6 with federal requirements in mind. It was a deliberate and purposeful choice based on fund allocation.

By the way - Coco's revised design has ensured the Exige S as it currently is, cannot be federally compliant. He made a point of putting that awkward rear bumper on which really isn't a bumper. It is, like the S2, part of the rear clam. That is a big heavy chunk of fiberglass just sitting there. Unlike the S2, which adapted to bumper requirements in 07 with the 'bumperettes', the new Exige V6 rear bumper design dow not allow for any such impact absorbing item to be retrofitted or incorporated.

The time to have accomodated federal requirements was during pre-production development. It isn't realistic for Lotus to invest in making federally-compliant changes that will cost more now after the fact with development finalized. The Exige S literally (finally) has just gone into production as of last Friday. This isn't like when the S2 that recieved exemptions till 2007; Lotus is no longer eligible for that option.

And, for arguements sake, what if Lotus was compelled to go down that path to federalize the Exige V6 - what is the return of investment? A few hundred cars annually. That wouldn't warrant or cover the cost of the hardware and retooling involved. In case you haven't noticed, DRB-Hicom is very fiscally minded. They aren't about to go into the red. If Lotus had the funds to put into revising and federalizing the Exige S there are stronger, better ways to spend that money right now to balance it's books.

You are right the Evora has poor sales. The price-point has a lot to do with that for most average buyers. Fact is the Exige Sport 260 in North America retailed for $76,000. Exige final editions retailed for around $70,000 (and they didn't even have most of the equipment the Sport 260 had). You seriously think Lotus is now going to offer an Exige with an Evora subframe, engine and revised suspension for less than the previous version??? To undermine Evora sales even further???

The non street-legal version to be sold here (which is essentially the car for sale in other markets) is estimated to start at $85,000 to $90,000. (Example 1 and example 2). This should be officially confirmed or corrected in the near future - around the time the Cup version premiers at Brands Hatch. And again, in this poll, the assumption a federalized version with revised airbags, bumpers, reflectors, etc will be offered for less? :shrug: $60k, $70k...seriously? :huh:
Agreed, its wishful thinking at best. Money is better spent on a new car designed for All markets that has a sales potential greater than just a few hundred sales per year.

vincesf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts