The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that installing ACE laminate reduced the sound in the cabin by 4dB (which is quite a lot, as 6dB is a factor of two). I believe this costs something like $500 (which is also quite a lot).

I know the polycarbonate rear window protector that Tony Vaccaro sells normally attaches using suction cups, but has anyone tried attaching it with double-sided foam tape around the entire edge, and if so did it reduce the sound levels in the cabin?

Can this be done without a risk of getting condensation between the panels?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Generally, a 10 dB increase in sound level is perceived as about twice as loud, not 6 dB and conversely a 10dB reduction in sound level is perceived as about half as loud.

A 4 dB change in sound level is usually just noticeable, not "quite a lot". It isn't going to be worth it and I seriously doubt that the panel would work. My polycarb rear window protector (you can see the details of it on the other Lotus channel but in short is as close to what you are looking for as currently exists) didn't do a thing to decrease perceptible sound in the cabin.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Actually a 3 db reduction is half the power, but since our ears tend to work exponentially it does not seem half the noise level.
When I did some sound level recordings in my car stuffing the rear window with a moving blanket resulted in a noticeable reduction in cabin noise.
A security film company claims a 4 db reduction in road noise from the thickest security film. Ace Security laminates-Automobile Security film | Window Films Plus it would protect from the rock through the window problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts