The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think the concept is beautiful, but how on earth did they go from making a light nimble "bare bones sports car" to 2900 pounds! What are they building it out of, concrete and 1/4" steel plate?Amazing. No doubt the first year it'll be fitted with an anemic engine then year two later one with more performance so everyone dumps the first year cars.
Chris

·
Registered
687 Posts
2 cubic feet of trunk space with the top down??? Are you kidding me?

I can get by with the 5 in my Miata. I suppose 4 will be ok in the Elise. But 2??? Why bother with a trunk?

I predict sales will take a serious dive after its introduction, $20k price or not.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
I think it will do fine. Don't underestimate the number of Americans who would like a 'sporty' car with sharp looks. The Fiero sold 100k+ in each of it's first 2 years. Selling 20k Solstices should be a snap.

Do you really think the masses treasure lightweight? Heck no...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Don't underestimate the number of Americans that will overlook various things, because it is a domestic.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The Solstice will have to compete against the PT Cruiser, the Mini Cooper, and the Beetle, all of which have a larger trunk, 4 seats, and a power folding top. It won't hurt Pontiac that the MR2 Spyder is going away, but the next Miata will debut in February in Geneva, and rumors are floating around about a folding hard top.

Then there are all of the other sporty cars in its price range, like the SRT4, the GT Cruiser, the Ion Red Line, the supercharged Cobalt, the supercharged tC, the GTI, the WRX, etc.

GM had a difficult time backing the minimum 25,000 unit sales target for the Solstice to make money, which is why Saturn will likely get its own Kappa platform convertible.

No doubt the Solstice will do well its first year, even with high dealer markup, because it has created such a buzz.

I still predict sales will take a dive, specifically that second year sales will be at least 25% lower, even with the introduction of a supercharged Solstice later. 2 cubic feet of trunk space won't be enough for a couple's weekend getaway. Depending on the format, it may not hold much of anything. The lack of a trunk certainly did not help MR2 sales; my friend was shopping for an MR2 Spyder and walked away from the dealer specifically because she said the car didn't have a trunk.

Anyone care to make a wager? :)

FYI: the '84 Fiero had 6.8 cu ft of luggage space.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
In true GM fashion the car will be overweight with bad steering and not enough hp. After 4 years and steady improvments by adding a better steering system, a stripped down version and a supercharger the car will finally be what it should have been from the begining. Then without notice, GM will kill the car due to poor sales and place their head in their hands and ask themselves why. Don't believe me, see: Fiero, Reatta, Elan (M100), Allante, etc.

·
Registered
825 Posts
It would be hard to overestimate GM's ability to make bad marketing decisions. After all, they killed the Camaro rather than investing to make it attractive. How could you not make a profit when 20k people will buy your car annually just b/c of the name?

But I still think the Solstice has potential. Sure it is heavy, and the Elise/S2000/Miata are better performance cars if you can afford them. But a $20k roadster that looks good (IMO) is a pretty compelling proposition, even if it is more pose than play.

MG and Fiat managed to sell an awful lot of cars with anemic, heavy powerplants and flexi-flyer suspensions to people who couldn't afford Elans/Alfas/Jaguars. I happen to love those old cars even though they weren't really much faster than an econobox of the same period.

I guess I'm a slut. ;) I'll cheerlead for anyone who makes an interesting car that celebrates the joy of driving. Better than yet another boring SUV/Minivan/Econobox.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There will be non-performance types that buy it based on looks and that it's a convertable. They won't care about 0-60 times, handling, etc.

They'll want a cheap convertible and GM will deliver exactly that.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
There are a ton of people who work for GM and/or it's suppliers that are salivating for this car. Many of these folks are aging baby boomers who are ready to get back in touch with their 'youth'. These folks will bloster the interest and sales. The fact that Pontiac dealers are also very plentiful will also be a big boon.

Neither the PT nor MINI are as sexy as the Solstice. That alone will insure the Pontiac gets reasonable attention. There are far more buyers interested in a good looking car than people looking for a a good performing car.

GM has a record of screwing up cool cars. Let's hope Bob Lutz infuses enough car savy and excitement that lasts beyond his tenure. One of my best friends who works at GM assures me that Bob is making great strides.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were lighter, perhaps with a peppier engine too, but a $20K they'll probably sell the heck out of em.
Chris
Ditto, not to mention the number of younger crowd they'd pull since it's a 'cheap' 'sporty' convertible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts