The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone- I have a 91 Esprit SE that I am slowing getting back up to her former glory.

my current problem / issue is the acceleration or lack there of...if I step lightly on the gas the car accelerates fine, but if I step hard on the gas the RPMs drop all the way down and the car will stall.

fuel pressure seems to be holding

can't find any vacuum leaks

i will be changing my chip to PUK #2 (don't think this is the issue, but just wanted to add that it'll be changed this week)

can it be something as simple as a fuel filter?

I do not have a freescan yet, but will be contacting SANJ for one ASAP

THANK YOU

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Typically a problem like this is caused by a blockage of fuel, air or exhaust. If you checked the fuel you still have the air filter and air induction system, and the exhaust system to check. It can also be a breakdown of the secondary ignition system, bad ignition wires, cap, rotor, or spark plugs.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
743 Posts
...whatever you do to troubleshoot, don't put the new chip until you solve the problem.
check the hoses to the turbo & intake --- easy thing first.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Spark plugs? IIRC, at higher volumes of air and fuel, it can be harder for the spark to ignite the charge. Pull the plugs, make sure they are a-ok, and check your ignition system (I don't know hot you check to see if you are getting a strong spark tho.) (I'm not an Esprit owner though, just brainstorming possible general causes)

·
Registered
383 Posts
None of these cars run that much boost, so you shouldn't be seeing spark blowout unless there's obvious problems with your ignition system or your plugs are gapped too large. It sounds to me like you're getting too much or not enough fuel at full throttle. I'd go out, try duplicating the problem near your house, then pull the plugs as soon as possible afterwards and see if the plugs are really sooty or wet, or are a very light brown and dry. Short of a wideband 02, this is the easiest way to see what's going on.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Under conditions of high load and high combustion chamber pressures a weak spark will not be enough and you will have problems even without boost. Another weird but possible problem can be a vacuum or mechanical advance that is not working as it should. Easy to check with a timing light.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
5,415 Posts
A lot of the GM MPFI cars are seeing failures of the fuel pump these days. Typically they don't "die" totally, they just don't provide enough fuel at higher RPMs. (Even if the fuel pressure is within spec at idle)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input and guidance...

I ran the car and now I am gettig a check engine light. It appears the faults are 13 and 26.

Can someone verify that 13 is the O2 sensor? 26?

Also, I puled the plugs and the ca appears to be running rich.

Is it possible that I have an issue with my ECM?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
code 26 is for the "Quad driver Circuit" and the diagnosis focuses on the ECU, the wiring to the solenoids and relays for the secondary injectors, and the secondary injectors themselves. You'll need to follow the trouble shooting in the EMH manual for code 26.

Code 13 is for an open circuit for the O2 sensor.

It is possible that these are both from a bad ECU, but they could also be the wiring.

You should really follow the steps in the EMH manual to make sure you don't just go replacing parts needlessly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will troubleshoot and let everyone know what I see.

Would it be worthwhile to swap out the ECU with another to see if that helps? From what I hear they are not that difficult to get

thoughts???

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If you have possible wiring issues you take a big chance damaging the other ECU. Follow the troubleshooting fault tree in the manual and do not take short-cuts. You could have a damaged wiring harness, wires pinched or burnt. I would pick the easier code, 13, and follow the wires. It may lead you right to the spot where you have the damage. Strange you should get both of these unrelated faults at the same time. They do have the ECU and the wiring harness in common.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...now having freescan issues. I am plugging in using a 9 pin to USB adapter to my laptop and having trouble sending and/or getting information. COuld this be an adapter issue? I heard of other members using them without problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup - I did hit Force Interact, but nothing... I'm afraid that fixing my running issue hinges on getting the freescan info. Well maybe not hinges on it, but it would make my hunt much much easier

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spent the a few hours on the Lotus today. Tried messing with the freescan settings, but couldnt find the lotus.cfg that people were talking about.

Also does anyone know if the 2232 cable is necessary to plug the freescan cable to a USB or any adapter?

I cleared all the faults and let the car sit, then rechecked. Found hard fault for o2 sensor, so put in a new Bosch and cleared again. Idled for a while then threw fault 26 again for quad driver circuit/secondary injectors.

The only other step in the ignition system is that ignition control module, but I dont know if that can technically be labeled as secondary injectors, as the fault is for both. Since the car is throwing faults and can check itself, Im thinking more messing around with the computer/cable interface is needed.

Also, havent been able to find the location on the vehicle speed sensor, I found its tied into both braking/ABS and engine management. Maybe theres an issue there.

I'm still hopefully this problem isn't anything major, but I really need this freescan to work-

·
Registered
859 Posts
I just had a code 26 yesterday and today. I was only getting about 0.4 bar of boost. turned out that the fuse for the wastegate solenoid blew. Still don't know why it blew, but I replaced it and all has been fine. the fuse is in the trunk where are the relays are.

·
Registered
859 Posts
thanks. i'll check it first thing tomorrow
when I was reading the quad driver code problems in the manual, my eyes did this. -eek- I was thinking the worst. I knew that low boost was an issue I was having, so I started with that. I checked the connections, the plug, etc. then, I looked int he owners manual for any fuses related to the boost solenoid, and voila..... the problem revealed itself.

I hope your issue turns out to be a simple fix!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks QuadCam-

So...Checked the fuses and all are ok. I went through the manual and found the secondary injector dropper resistor has a large effect on cold start. I googled it and some esprit owners mention the same. Tried to find a cross reference with Delco, but nothing. Anyone know about this resistor, if this is a possible issue? if so, where to locate one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts