The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious, so i decided to try pop starting the car.

Interestingly, the passive alarm was active(red light flashing), and I pop started the car, and the engine ran for a few seconds, and then shut off.

I tried again with the alarm off, and it worked fine.

In case your interested, I was going about 5mph, and let the clutch out with the car in first gear. The engine turned over a few times before it started, compared to the instant start using start button.

:shift:

BTW, my favorite popstart story is when I pop started a Conquest(Starion) in reverse gear, and the car only moved 1 foot to generate the popstart!!!! I only had about 18 inches of room to roll downhill. Impossible!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
My favorites are brown sugar cinnamon.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i like poptarts
And I like turtles!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
i dunno, huge exige-specific content and the topic's never been discussed before. :rolleyes:

'Pop starting' in reverse in a Conquest. Definitely not a repost.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
RoadDad desperately needs a life.

Meow

:shift:
^^Perhaps.

You definitely need an owner's manual.

From page 134
NOTICE:
• Improper jumper cable connection can damage the alternator
and other electrical components.
• Do not attempt to push or tow start the car, as damage to the
catalytic converter or other parts could be caused.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
^^Perhaps.

You definitely need an owner's manual.

From page 134
NOTICE:
• Improper jumper cable connection can damage the alternator
and other electrical components.
• Do not attempt to push or tow start the car, as damage to the
catalytic converter or other parts could be caused.
Doesn't say anything about poptarts or toaster strudel

·
Registered
836 Posts
Second gear is a better choice than first, and no big deal, you can pop start any Toyota without a problem. (well there is a remote cat concern,,,,,,)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@RoadDad, your correct, I did not get a manual with my car. I still dont have one. Ill download it someday.

@swede, yes second gear is a little easier on the car, but you have to be moving faster.

BTW, How would the cat converter be damaged during a pop start?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
BTW, How would the cat converter be damaged during a pop start?
The pop originates somewhere near the throttle plenum and travels into both heads. From there it creates a reverse vacuum that pushes the pistons sideways, instead of laterally. This, of course, makes the rocker arms percolate faster. The ensuing sonic expulsion travels down the pipe in to the cat. All in all, very bad for your Exige.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The pop originates somewhere near the throttle plenum and travels into both heads. From there it creates a reverse vacuum that pushes the pistons sideways, instead of laterally. This, of course, makes the rocker arms percolate faster. The ensuing sonic expulsion travels down the pipe in to the cat. All in all, very bad for your Exige.
rotfl

I hate when that happens!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not what I meant, the disclaimers are mostly for American laws, no other country in the world need to tell people that " objects in mirrors are closer than they appear" and a hundred more of those. Its called liability or lets make sure the idiots of the worls cant ruin our biz.......(not Americans, the morans that feel the need to use a lawyer everytime they are to dumb to live)

Seriously it would be better if the idiots just die,,,,why do anyone have to tell their customers (and be liable if they dont listen)

- Dont bring your hair dryier in the tub
- Objects are closer than they appear
- how to buckle a seat belt in an airplane

Just let these morons die, it will be better for us all.

Listen to Cliff Claveland
:rolleyes:

And for the record,,,,,I love America but not the moran liability laws

1 - 20 of 43 Posts