The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, its not an Elise, but the VX220 Turbo is its unidentical twin, built by Lotus with the same chassis.

With a bit of extra power you can challange and beat Porsche 996tt's round the track.

Here's a vid of a guy called Thorney upsetting a few Porsche owners round Hockenheim

His car was running around 280bhp (stage 3) at the time which is easily obtainable from the VXT engine, coupled with a few chassis mods.

>>CLICKY<<

He complained that he couldn't outdrag the GT3's on the straights so the car now has a stage 5. This puts out around 350bhp :eek: This should make the GT3 owners weep as a car 1/4 the price sails past them :bow:

If the rumours are true, the S3 Elise may have a new lightweight turbocharged engine in the future :clap:

·
Registered
495 Posts
hmmm, was at Spa yesterday. Amazing array of machinery on track including a Lamborghini Murcielago and a Porsche Carrera GT, along with a smattering of Ferraris and dozens of Porsche GT3's etc. Wasn't caught all day long and passed literally dozens of Porkers. In saying that with a good driver on a power circuit the result would be different (perhaps not in my case with a 225hp Honda engine :D). On one hand you laugh at how slow most of them are, but on the other you have to give them a big thumbs up for getting the thing on track unlike most owners.

Going through Eau Rouge with a Murcielago in the background

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah thats what the Elise needs 350bhp :rolleyes: . Perhaps "sails" was a very apt description :p

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
those porsches looked like carrera 4s-s to me. Pretty good video, didn't seem like he was driving hard, maybe that was from the low engine noise from the recording.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Those are definitely 996 Carrera 4S's.

E30 M3
Silver 911 C4S
Dark Blue 911 C4S
Black 911 (no large wing, can't be a twin turbo (GT2), GT3 or a Turbo).

The C4S models have that strip of red reflector between the taillights, while other models don't.

Nice movie nonetheless. Did the driver of the silver Porker try to scare the VX on the last section, where he tapped the brakes fairly early? Or was that just early braking?!?!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That is indeed an awesome picture. I wish I was there.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've done two days at Hockenheim on the short track. Lowsided my bike on the corner 53 seconds into that vid. That's where the short course takes a right. Thursday nights they open it up around 6 I think it was. $2.50 to get in, and $5 each session to run, alternating between bikes and cars. Great track, loved it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gedi said:

His car was running around 280bhp (stage 3) at the time which is easily obtainable from the VXT engine, coupled with a few chassis mods.
If there's one thing I've learned about racing on a track, rider/driver ability far exceeds having a more powerful bike/car.

Braking, corner speed and corner exit speed is what makes you fast. Obviously, the fellow in the camcar was an extremely good track rider.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Randy Chase said:
That is indeed an awesome picture. I wish I was there.
Randy it's by far my favourite circuit. Fantastic mixture of corners. One of the only F1 circuits that has been left relatively untouched.

Here's one of my favourite pictures of Eau Rouge. Really shows the elevation change.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
AnsisK said:

Nice movie nonetheless. Did the driver of the silver Porker try to scare the VX on the last section, where he tapped the brakes fairly early? Or was that just early braking?!?!
I watched it yesterday and I definitely thought it was a halfarsed "brakecheck" .

seeing as most participants have in-car vid gear, I think that tempered his behaviour.

I see this behaviour among many pony car drivers so it made me blink to see a Porshe driver showing this conduct.
They are supposed to be Gentleman Drivers.
m

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Good point. I find most Porsche drivers to be enthousiasts, that will defend their honour to the last word. Having an Opel sniffing your tailpipes that close wouldn't lift the spirits of a hardcore Porchaholic. Nice reaction by the VX driver though, twitches out of line and passes like a frantic bunny...

I'm not sure which vid it is, but I think I saw it in this forum of an Elise on trackday. How he was passing all of the Porshes, some Ferraris, Cats etc simply because of super-late braking, and diving into other's lines. That video really made me realise that half the people on trackdays aren't racing 100%. That might be the case with this one... Just a crazy and/or fast driver (VX) bombing around a circuit with people less keen of hotlapping (these Porsches).

I know if I had the chance of a lap or three on, as example, the Nordschleife, I would not hit it 100%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts