The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the local Porsche dealer last night to pick up some of their convertible top treatment which is supposed to be pretty good. Turns out the parts area had closed but car sales was still open and I looked over some of the cars. One of the sales people (for a different brand) and I discussed the Lotus and he introduced me to their P-man. The guy said that he doesn't like to see other sports cars come in as it can spook customers. And he suggested that instead of coming back the next day to get the Porsche ragtop goop, that I call it in instead and have them mail it to me. Aye carumba, I'm 10 minutes away. I picked it up today but he wasn't around. People can have strong reactions to this car!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I think I would stop by and visit him as often as I could just for the fun of it...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would have left the Elise at home and taken my Esprit instead then let there customers look at the car and maybe even sit in it!!:D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Stan said:
I went to the local Porsche dealer last night to pick up some of their convertible top treatment which is supposed to be pretty good.
I used their cabrio care kit on my 90 Cab. The trick is to use it when there is no wind, or inside a garage so that it settles on the material. However, I don't know what the differences between the Lotus and Pcar top are so you might want to check ingrediants and be careful.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I went into a Porsche dealer today (without an Elise unfortunately) and when they heard me say I had a deposit down, two of them together screamed "they're too small!!" one went on to say that he's had "several" customers drop off the list once they drove the car.

I told them that's the whole point of the car, but they did'nt respond. Maybe they're actually feeling a bit of lightening of Boxter sales.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I understand it their are two main ragtop materials. Canvas and Vinyl (that can look like canvas). We have canvas. Only two companies make the canvas material that works well for such tops. I know that BMW and Porsche use the German Canvas. I'm not sure where the other canvas comes from. The treatments allow you to maintain the water repellency of the material which has various benefits.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Elise is the modern day 550 spyder. It's what the Boxter should have been. Porsche didn't stick to their roots. Instead they are building SUV's and bloated 911's.

No thanks,

:no:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That's funny! I think I'll drive over to my local Porsche dealer, park prominently (after washing and waxing my baby) and slowly stroll around the lot....ya know, looking for a "less sporty, more conservative" car for my wife.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
" I'm sorry, I meant that you'll have to trade me a Carrera GT AND cash if you want me out of my Elise" ;)
m.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
LOL. Stan, somebody posted your story on Rennteam.com, predominantly a Porsche forum.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Any Porsche sales guy that tries to deter you from coming by is just a "car salesman" and not a car guy. I welcome anyone to come and see me at work (Porsche of Oakland)while driving their Elise.
I find that most prospective Porsche buyers are going to buy a Porsche first and then possibly the Elise for different duty. They want more luxury and marque prestige as well as a car with a longstanding track record in racing in the last 25 yrs. The Lotus is a hardcore enthusiasts ride at a fraction of the cost of a GT3.
I agree that if Porsche still built a 550 Spider or 914/6 type car I wouldn't be waiting for my Elise to arrive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just thought I'd let you guys know. I have a Porsche, and I'm getting the Elise as a track car. I'm often badgered while driving the P-Car by other cars revving at me or playing the speed up-slow down game, or other variations of the "My car is better than your P-Car" antics. I'd get a good laugh out of it, and a passenger of the fair sex once said "There's another one worried about the size of his weanie".

The Elise is an excellent car in it's own right. Let's not demean it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
perryeyges said:
Any Porsche sales guy that tries to deter you from coming by is just a "car salesman" and not a car guy. I welcome anyone to come and see me at work (Porsche of Oakland)while driving their Elise.
Agree with you there! Our response at our local Porsche dealer was this: Drove up to the Porsche/Audi service dept and within 5 minutes practically every technician was out standing around the Elise asking question after question about the car. They loved it. One couldn't get over the door hinges. ;)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well I hope the Rennteam folks get the word to the folks at the Danbury, CT Porsche dealer. I've related this story to a number of folks including those who have bought cars there, have owned p-cars for years and so forth. And 100% don't think much about that dealer and some related their own similar stories. Utter arrogance and condescension basically. One guy I spoke to about it up at Lime Rock this weekend was like "don't tell me..it was Danbury right?" I confirmed this and he said that they are well known for their positions on things like this or whenever they feel like it.

The other folks I dealt with there seemed fine and the Porsche parts guy was terrific to deal with and happy that the products were well regarded by those with other cars.

I had a Porsche years ago and loved it. If I ever buy another it won't be from the place with the bad attitude though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I think many Porsches need to lose weight and I wish they were as honed as an Elise, my primary interest in the Elise lies in the fact that I can't afford a GT3.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Yep, a GT3 would be awesome. All kidding aside, Porsches are in general awesome cars, especially once you look past the Boxster. So are Vettes. At this juncture, though, the Elise is way more exclusive. If I could win powerball, I'd have one of each...

·
Registered
118 Posts
GT 3 would be awesome. Pricey, though. That's how I ended up looking at the Elise. I have a 996 C4S that I track. When the GT3 came out, I initially put the car up for sale to get the GT3. Then I realized the GT3 would have cost me the C4S plus $40K. For that money, I could get the Elise AND keep the C4S. A no brainer.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Hi Palting,
From that perspective, I certainly see how the Elise/C4S is a more cost effective persuit. However, if you were buying the C4S new, I think the GT3 demonstrates a higher value!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts