The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched something about the Porsche GT3 on MotorWeek.

Porsche GT3
Price: $101,000
weight: 3,000 lb
0-60: 4.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.9 seconds

Elise
Price: $40,000+
weight: 2,000
0-60: under 5.0
1/4 mile: 13-ish

I've driven the new 911 (but not the GT3), and I've driven the Elise. The Porsche sure makes the Elise look like a sweet deal!

Thomas

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
True!

But the Elise will never sounds as good as the GT3. Nor will the GT3 ever look as good as the Elise.

I'd bet the Exige will be the car that really thumps the GT3.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auditory Pleasures

I agree, an inline four will never sound as good as a flat six. On the other hand, *nothing* will ever sound as good as a Ferrari V-12.

Thomas

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
What was the source of the news that the US version of the Exige would boast 300 supercharged horses? I find it hard to believe that Britain, the land that has always received the enviously over-performing versions of perfomance autos will be getting the "plebian" Toyota version while we enjoy the snorting version- It just does'nt seem likely to me.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have been very lucky enough to drive a 2004 GT3 Porsche. All I can say is that I had a hard time handing back to it's owner a friend of mine. It ranks in my book as one of the most satisfying cars to drive next to the Elise:D

It's a shame the price of the GT3 is $99,900, but then again who ever said the admission to heaven was cheap;)

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
788 Posts
There is a polar silver GT3 at a dealership nearby that I wouldn't kick out of my driveway for an Elise. The dealer fired her up for me and it sounded awesome. I think it looks every bit as good as an Elise, but no doubt bang for the buck goes to the Elise and I can barely scrape the $ for an Elise.

I guess the question since we are Lotus fans is whether you would pick the Esprit over a GT3. As much as I always wanted an Espirt, (was going to get a used S4S before I knew the Elise really was coming) if I had 100K to spend on a car, it would be the GT3. (actually I would want the new Aston Martin AMV8 but I digress)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
There are certain types of driving where the Elise should actually perform better than the GT3...the issue here being weight.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
atyclb said:
so will the C6 Z06 make the Elise look like a bad deal?
Yes, the Z06 has always been a fantastic performance bargain. Of course the badge snobs may argue with you...

GabbaGabbaHey said:
I guess the question since we are Lotus fans is whether you would pick the Esprit over a GT3. ...if I had 100K to spend on a car, it would be the GT3. (actually I would want the new Aston Martin AMV8 but I digress)
The current Esprit is way too long on the tooth. The new Exige may be a better perf option. The next Esprit should be killer.

As much as I love the AMV8, it will likely be more of a GT than a pure sportscar. Not in the same performance league as a GT3 or Esprit.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You'll have to do a fair amount of work to an Elise to be competitive against a GT3. The GT3 has the top end power that will leave you in it's wake. It's a serious piece of kit that requires a good deal of skill to get the most out of it. It's not about the power to weight ratio as the GT3 has a fantastic track setup. Just look at it's laptimes around Nurburgring.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have to add my opinion here; I have owned Porsche and Lotus cars. I love my Lotus and I loved my Porsche. It does cost more to buy a Porsche but looking at my service records for both. There is no comparison, I sold my Porsche 928s4 with 180K miles and ran just fine. I never had any major problems outside of routine service. I driven cross-country twice, literally non stop for 48 hours. My Lotus on the other hand is fast, nimble and for the money my opinion it cannot be beat. However I have easily paid a fortune in repairs and service. I sold my 95 Esprit S4s with 48k miles it needed an engine rebuild. I regretted selling but I traded for V8. 110K for a Porsche is not such bad deal considering the reliability and performance numbers. A Porsche will make you smile in the rain, snow or dry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts