The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed it and then I repaired it. However, I was stupid and didn't put the starshield back on, so the front end is salt-and-peppered. Now the cams have gone bad. It's safe to say there's about zero resale value on this car (not that I was focused on that, anyway.)

As such, I'm toying with the idea of a "Super Elise" build project. This would provide me a few things:
  • An opportunity to get some engine work experience
  • Something to do now that I don't have a race car
  • A chance to build a unique car that reflects who I am and what I love
  • Something I could hand off to my son in the future -- maybe as his first race car (who knows?)
  • Another means of wasting money (which is apparently my favorite pastime).

Here's my tentative plan:
  • Aero
    • Front splitter
    • Canards
    • Wheel well relief louvers
    • 5/6 deep channel diffuser
    • Fully adjustable wing
  • Engine
    • Choice A: Lighter, High revving, Naturally Aspirated
      • Stroker block w/high strength forged pistons @ 11:1
      • lightened and balanced crank
      • Ported heads w/stronger valve springs
      • Racing cams
      • higher redline (ecu reprogram)
    • Choice B: Heavier, High Power, Forced Induction
      • Stronger forged pistons @ 8:1
      • custom turbo setup
      • racing cams
      • ported heads
      • better valve springs
    • move oil cooler
    • baffled oil pan
    • accusump
    • better/higher output fuel system
    • reprogrammed/tuned ECU w/dropped cam switchover point
  • Body
    • remove seam on front clam
    • move turn signals into headlight housing and cover old locations
    • craftsquare (or similar) cf mirrors
    • total paint job with racing stripes
  • Suspension
    • (up for grabs. I have a fully adjustable setup ready to go on)
    • move rear toe link from frame to lower a-arm (?)

Money, as usual, is the time-limiter here. This would probably be a two or three year ordeal.

Suggestions/comments?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Well............if you do the work yourself......:up:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well if you don`t care about not having the car drivable for a couple years. Go for it, make a really sweet street/track car.

Personaly I wouldn`t waste my time on a n/a motor, go for turbo/supercharger setup. More money, but way more power.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
As long as you realize these mods won't 'restore' the value of your car....but since you spoke of passing the car down, it doesn't sound like 'resale' or 'value' is a factor for you....in which case I'd say as long as you have the time and money, go for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another approach is to try to reduce the weight as much as possible.
Well I do argee with you, that is the Lotus way of doing things. BUT if you think about it, money wise it is alot cheaper to add 100hp, then to remove/add lighter parts to even out to 100hp gain.

I really all depends what you want to do with the car, more power won`t help with handling. But power is always fun lol:nanner:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Lighter! Think of all the fun you can have ripping useless ballast out of the car. From what I've heard, it would be worth it... it's supposed to be a different car when you get below 1750 lbs.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well............if you do the work yourself......:up:
That's part of the point. I want to get more experience doing this kind of work. I've never torn down/built an engine before and I like the feeling of accomplishment.
Chococar said:
Another approach is to try to reduce the weight as much as possible.
This I've done to other vehicles. It definitely makes a difference, but I want to do the engine thing.
RacyTracy said:
As long as you realize these mods won't 'restore' the value of your car....but since you spoke of passing the car down, it doesn't sound like 'resale' or 'value' is a factor for you.
Totally aware of the "mods don't add value" aspect. Actually, modifying a car usually decreases the value. Like I said, because of what's already happened, I feel the car has depreciated to a point where selling it would require almost giving it away. So I might as well make it into whatever I want.

I would, of course, maintain a focus on keeping it as light as possible. :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The camshaft and rockers are a $250 part from Toyota. The labor is free if you do it yourself. A respray of the front end shouldn't be too bad either. I don't think the value if the car is lost at all.

Now if you just are looking for an excuse to do something interesting because that is what car guys do, and we all get bored of what we already have, then go for it!

Add power and reduce some weight. That would give you a nice middle ground.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I crashed it and then I repaired it. However, I was stupid and didn't put the starshield back on, so the front end is salt-and-peppered.
I sell paint film so cheap (and better quality stuff than "starshield" anyway) that there is simply no reason not to put it on once you've had work done. Actually for less than the cost of stock coverage through the dealership you can cover the entire front of the car through me.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sell paint film so cheap (and better quality stuff than "starshield" anyway) that there is simply no reason not to put it on once you've had work done. Actually for less than the cost of stock coverage through the dealership you can cover the entire front of the car through me.
schweet. I'll give you a call when it's painted. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts