The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i love Europa's and I've always wanted one. This car is basically being given to me.

I wont bore you with the details, but its in pieces. I don't know much about it. I can tell its a single cam and S2. It ran before they took it apart. The only things that really look apart are the entire interior and the exterior trim. The Carb is off it and it doesn't run. I'm towing the car to my house to look at it further.

I'm a mechanic and i specialize in European cars, specifically more modern Audi's, but i have a good amount of experience with MGs and I've done my share of custom builds. I also have access to a full shop.

So for now, i have one worst case question..

In case the motor or trans is not salvageable and also because I'll probably want to do it eventually anyways. I'd like hear advise on motor swaps. I've looked into it and i cant find much expect finished projects. people say Zetec or Toyota, but what engine specifically? Where can i buy one? Is there mount kits? or is this all custom fab work? If so what needs to be made?

What i really need to know is what is the cheapest, easiest motor/possibly trans to swap that will still get me some HP?

I have access to a lot of Audi 1.8t motors and mods. The drive train would work theoretically since it's a longitudinal engine and trans with axles coming out of the sides. but I'm really not trying to do a long frustrating custom build. (making the shift linkage alone for that, ugh).

thank you all in advance, i am greatly looking forward to this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My swap was easy - the BDA uses the same block as the TC, but if you join the lotuseuropa yahoo group, several have done some swaps. The Zetec seems to be the most popular. If you go to Welcome to Europa Engineering, Richard has done several engine swaps, though I'd guess that his are probably a bit more adventurous. There's a lot of room but if you get too big, you'll have to worry about frame flexing, but for a 1600 lb. you probably don't want to go that big!

Good luck! :shift:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Please keep us informed of your progress. Will be a worthy adventure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a lot of information on Lotus Europa Central on both the Zetec and Toyota engine swaps.

Lotus Europa Central -- Home Page

I'm in the process of replacing the Renault motor for a 20 valve Silvertop motor. All the parts have been collected, the 4AGE adaptor plate, motor mounts, exhaust manifold and NG3 5 speed transaxle, just waiting for time to start the conversion. Without the Toyota to Renault adaptor plate, the 4AGE conversion may not be possible. This will leave you with the Zetec. For this, I believe yoo will need the bellhousing from the Lotus twin cam motor.

JT

·
Registered
20 Posts
A. you can buy new TC blocks from Ford
B. Europa.org
C. I a BDA is a little out of the price range try Zetec
D Some folks have used 914 transaxles, they can take a pretty good chunk of h.p and it is a 5 speed. Side shift is the better choice. Wish I knew more about this conversion. Kennedy makes adapter plates
E. Where is your general location as this may help in finding folks in the know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is all great info, thank you!

Im in metro Detroit Michigan.

Is the adapter plate, mounts, exhaust manifold for the 4AGE custom?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know what happened to my comment to cal44's post...

In my opinion, the best swap is a Zetec crate engine. They are inexpensive and there is a lot of experience on the lotuseuropa yahoo group. There are people who have used the Toyota motor so somebody on the lotuseuropa can help you there, too.

It's amazing how many creative mods have been done on Europas. The 914 tranny is good but I would get an NG-3 tranny because there is a lot of support for them. Some have done cable shift linkage for them. There is no problem with it's strength - my BDA was dyno'ed at 177 hp. and there are people who have swapped to stronger engines than that with the NG-3. It also bolts up to the TC bell housing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, all of the bits for the 4AGE conversion was provided by a fellow Europa owner a few years ago. Check the knowledgebase for John Pels. If there is enough interest he may do another run of the adaptor plates.

JT

·
Registered
685 Posts
Remember this is an S2 you're writing about. Not as much room in the engine bay as a TC, so Ford swaps not as easy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Richard at Europa Engineering (Welcome to Europa Engineering) has them. He doesn't do email so use the phone. I think he can help you with mounting kits and linkage.

Surprisingly enough, you can find them in junk yards - they came out of Renault Fuegos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts