The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been planning on buying a Honda S2000 for the last year and now my friend made me realize that an Elise is in the same price range. I'd just like to know reliability of the Elise considering it would be daily driven and occasionally track driven. Also what advice would current drivers give to a new Elise driver. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Hi there! Welcome Matt!

The gang here will gladly remind you to check the "Search" functions for the many answers to this question...

For me, the Elise is my daily driver and the Toyota engine is very reliable.

The car is amazing.

It takes time to learn to drive the Elise...

so go easy at first and work your way up to higher speeds...

·
Vendor
3,281 Posts
This is totally a question for which you like better. The Elise is pretty reliable given its toyota motor. As reliable as an S2000? Doubtful. The S2000 would be a more comfortable daily driver and is pretty good AS auto-x car(the car actually). I own 2 elises and I have driven the S2K(stook) several times. I don't like it as a sports car. No soul. A drive to grocery store in the Elise puts a smile on my face. The elise feels like you put the car on like a racing suit. That said, the S2k is more of a real car for long trips etc. etc. Decide which style you want and need then accept the trade-offs either and be happy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sold my S2000 (never 'stook'! LOL) last spring and bought the Elise. I love my Elise and I'm very glad I made the switch. The Elise has an intensity that cannot be ignored. The cornering is magic and the acceleration exhilarating. I take it regularly through our local canyons and passes and last week I had it to the track. Unbelievable!

With that said it can be difficult to live with. This is my daily as was my S2000. There have been no end of squeaks, rattles, leaks (oh so common) and mechanical glitches. The is no glove box and no trunk, only a rear glove box. Getting in and out is an effort if not a challenge though I disagree with those I have heard say it's (the Lotus) is uncomfortable. I find it every bit as comfortable as the S2000... when I'm alone. A passenger is very very close (which can be nice) and knees tend to interfere with shifting. The S2000 (mine anyway) did have soul, it did not have the intensity. Don't get me wrong, it had far more edge than your average car, just not up to the Elise.

I think one day I'll get another S2000, maybe as my daily and trip car, but it's hard for me to think of ever letting go of the Elise. Like fzust said, "Decide which style you want and need then accept the trade-offs either and be happy." Either car will make you happy.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
If all you want is a sports car, get the Honda.

If you know sports cars well and you know Lotus and you love their cars, get a Lotus.

It's a decision you'll make with your heart.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I test drove the S2000, came out thinking "pretty nice car."

I test drove the Elise, came out thinking "most fun you can have in a car with your clothes on." :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I was considering a S2000 as well, and definitely agree with everyone else.

The S2000 is a street car that can be taken to the track.
the Elise is a track car that can be taken on the streets!

The honestly, sometimes I am envious of those S2000 owners - they have bumpers!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I still have my S2000 and I still love it. But yes, I like the Elise a whole lot more which is why I bought it.

I like the S2000 because it has loads of personality, its handling is really fun and in my opinion easy to toss around, and the motor is really sweet. In the end its just not as focused as the Elise, but it is a better everyday sports car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts