The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need some help here.

I am looking to buy this 2006 Exige from dealer and it has sticker on rear bumper "Black Storm Racing".

Premium Pack, Sport Package. Graphite Gray.

VIN# SCCPC11196HL82461

Was this car owned by someone on this forum?

Just trying to get some history on this car before i pull the trigger.

Thanks!!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I just looked through the 2006 Exige registry Google Doc that someone created and didn't see this VIN anywhere - searching Google only returns this post.

So it's probable the owner never stopped by here, certainly didn't post his VIN. Googling for "Black Storm Racing lotus" returns a few things, one is at this link:

SPC Elders Lotus Exige | Photo

And says "SPC Elder is the other Co-Founder of Black Storm Racing" - hard to tell much from that. Could have been a daily by a guy who owned a tuner company or could have been a test car that they pounded the hell out of. What's the mileage and price?

·
3,201 Posts
Well the price is certainly right for the mileage - I would start asking a lot more questions and see if you can track down the guy at Black Storm to get some more background. You'll probably be fine as they really are simple cars but if that 29k miles is mostly track that could be bad (my first engine went at 28k miles but about 10-15k of those miles were on the track)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer is being some what shady.... (It's not lotus dealer)

They had carfax report with wrong VIN#. They misspelled one letter.

SCCPC11196H"C"82461 instead of L.

I noticed that carfax report that they had it up on their website didnt have any history and noticed their picture of VIN# wasn't matching with carfax report.

Called them and told them that they have wrong carfax pulled and I would like copy of the correct one but no word yet.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Dealer is being some what shady.... (It's not lotus dealer)

They had carfax report with wrong VIN#. They misspelled one letter.

SCCPC11196H"C"82461 instead of L.

I noticed that carfax report that they had it up on their website didnt have any history and noticed their picture of VIN# wasn't matching with carfax report.

Called them and told them that they have wrong carfax pulled and I would like copy of the correct one but no word yet.
Not sure if that's the same dealer, but a while back a "shady" outfit had a couple of Lotus listed,(at least one with performance graphics/stickers). That dealer never answered questions directly, and a couple of people who traveled there to see the cars were pi**ed off at the condition they found when they arrived. I'm not sure this is the same dealer, but you should at least be very careful.

Aside from a few good Lotus authorized dealers out there with who offer excellent tech inspections and service plan options (at a price), there is not often a huge advantage at buying from a dealer. Remember that dealers need to make a considerable margin to keep their doors open. There's nothing wrong with that, but you pay that up-charge. OTOH, most Lotus sold here from established forum members are extremely well kept and accurately represented. On average, you'll save several thousand dollars by buying private party.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
When you type in the VIN with the C, you get the same three ads, but the first two list the car as an Elise. But this probably a common error? Get an ECU dump for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if that's the same dealer, but a while back a "shady" outfit had a couple of Lotus listed,(at least one with performance graphics/stickers). That dealer never answered questions directly, and a couple of people who traveled there to see the cars were pi**ed off at the condition they found when they arrived. I'm not sure this is the same dealer, but you should at least be very careful.

Aside from a few good Lotus authorized dealers out there with who offer excellent tech inspections and service plan options (at a price), there is not often a huge advantage at buying from a dealer. Remember that dealers need to make a considerable margin to keep their doors open. There's nothing wrong with that, but you pay that up-charge. OTOH, most Lotus sold here from established forum members are extremely well kept and accurately represented. On average, you'll save several thousand dollars by buying private party.
I just got correct carfax report and it doesn't look bad. They said someone traded it in.

I would love to buy one off of members here but it's not so easy to find one....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you type in the VIN with the C, you get the same three ads, but the first two list the car as an Elise. But this probably a common error? Get an ECU dump for sure.
Is ECU dump only available at lotus dealers? or can anybody do it?

·
3,201 Posts
I just got correct carfax report and it doesn't look bad. They said someone traded it in.

I would love to buy one off of members here but it's not so easy to find one....
Just take your time and don't get emotionally attached to a car before you buy it. While they are hard to find they do come up for sale and a little patience can go a long way.

The last thing you want is a problem car.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Hello all,

I need some help here.

I am looking to buy this 2006 Exige from dealer and it has sticker on rear bumper "Black Storm Racing".

Premium Pack, Sport Package. Graphite Gray.

VIN# SCCPC11196HL82461

Was this car owned by someone on this forum?

Just trying to get some history on this car before i pull the trigger.

Thanks!!

Are you sure its an Exige and not an Elise?
Not many 06 Exiges and I would guess even less Graphite Grays...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just checked out this car. I think it's storm titanium(?) I think they listed it wrong.

By the way, car has a chip on rear pannel by reflector on the side and few spots with spider web effect on the paint..

Not sure if I am going to go with the car. How expensive is it to replace whole rear pannel?

Car looks clean other than that.

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
Just take your time and don't get emotionally attached to a car before you buy it. While they are hard to find they do come up for sale and a little patience can go a long way.

The last thing you want is a problem car.
best advice evar!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts