The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That would be kind of cool. It doesn't really make much functional sense. But without any apparent reason, I like the idea of pressing a button to start a car...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I like Clyde's posts and his excitement is infectious. But best looker on the street? No way!! I am happy with the look, especially at this price, and it definitely has more going for it than the Z4, S2000, TT or Boxster. But the styling does not compare to the best efforts of the Italians, among others.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Best quote ever:

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going home to have a nap now.

I understand that doctors can now put a patient in and out of a coma at will. Anybody want to go in on a group buy to make the time pass more quickly?"

Hmmmm, thinking about this very seriously! The wait is killing me!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
"Dr. Smith! What are all those unconcious patients doing in the basement?"

"Don't worry Dr. Jones, that's the Elise Ward. Do not wake those patients until the Lotus dealer calls. Dr. Moen accidentally woke one patient up too soon and was beaten to death with a bed pan."

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
MK - At least you are in England where you should be able to see some Elises. Saw the SELOC thread where it sounded as if you might hook up with some owners and I believe that you are going to visit the factory, so you shouldn't be complaining!

We expect a report, of course.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
jml-

Yes, I am meeting up with a few SELOC guys this weekend to tour around in a s2 and a 340r.

My factory tour is on Monday. Just counting down the hours.

Oh, and no it isnt easier seeing elises around the streets...its painful! I want one, I want one, Iwant one!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MW,
Moose posted info about your visit to coordinate the get together for your benefit.

BTW>> Keep an eye out at the factory for some US elises under covers earmarked for the LA Show. One of the SELOCers did the Scare yourself sensible tour on the 18th, guide pointed out a couple US elises under covers.
Chris

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I hope he's not talking about the button you have to push on the key to start the Euro S2. That immobilizer is actually kinda lame.

I looked at the interior shots from Rodent Track again and did not see any 'starter' button. Of course the pix were not comprehensive anyway.

I hope it is as cool as the S2k button. Then again it is less efficient than simply turning a key to start....

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
mapes said:
I hope it is as cool as the S2k button. Then again it is less efficient than simply turning a key to start....
I think they are fun to have, but having never lived with one day in and out, I don't know if they grow tiresome or not. But hey, maybe this calls for a return to classic motorsports where we have to run to our cars at the start of a race. It is for the same reason that Porsche puts the key ignition to the left of the wheel.

- J

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the start button is not included in the package, it's easy to make one.
Geary at eliseparts.com has already done one for the Elise S1, basically, it's no more then bypassing a couple of wires and snapping in the button...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Aftermarket start buttons are lame. You can still twist the ignition all the way round so why would you bother half turning then pressing another button. If the key ignition is on the steering column start buttons are plain silly. Its only when they put the key somewhere like the centre console that its convincing and cool :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey.. did I say they're cool? ;)

You can put the button anywhere you'd like.. the point is.. you will always have to stick a key in some hole in some location of the car, so yes, it's silly to do both, but some people think it's plain cool :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you watched that vid?

You can't have petrol in your veins if that car doesn't send a tingle down your spine. Just listen to it FFS!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Euro spec Elise that I drove was a pain to start. The key area on the steering column is very small, and there is no bevel around it to guide the key toward the ignition. It had a security button on the key that you had to push before starting the car: insert the key in the ignition, then fumble with the key and press the small mushy button, then start the car. A few times I could feel a small electrical shock in my hand while trying to start it. Not a good system. Makes Valet parking tricky. If they can replace that with a simple Start button it would be a huge improvement.

My S2000 has a start button that is fun, passengers and test-drivers always give positive comments on it. For day-to-day driving you get used to it quickly, somewhere in the back of my head it reminds me of starting a race car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I admit it. I don't care if it takes more work. There is something cool about pushing a button. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts