The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if it was possible and what it takes to import a exige to the u.s? Is there any way to make it street legal? I pretty sure it can be done because about a year ago I saw a Orange Exige on 101 hwy in socal. Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I doubt this is a practical proposition. In addition to not having any warranty, the costs would be prohibitive to federalize it -- even if the Feds would allow it. You may be able to import one as a "track only" car, but even that might be doubtful.

Check the EPA website, as well as some of the "federalizers" like Sun International.

There are rumors that the Exige may be imported, although I don't hold out much hope -- at least not for the current iteration.

Hope this helps :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
*IF* you could sneak it into the country, you could swap VINs with a US-spec Elise and legalize it that way. It's basically the same car underneath, so you could argue that you just bought all the parts to convert it to an Exige. Which, of course, is another approach. ;)

If you're not a US citizen, you can bring in non-legal cars for a short time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
MattG said:
If you're not a US citizen, you can bring in non-legal cars for a short time.
It's not quite as straight forward as that. If you're visiting (work visa, etc.) you can bring in any car you like for 1 year, but resident aliens have the same rules as natives. Personally I think it should be my right as a UK citizen to import any UK car I like as a 'family member'. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would recommend either waiting... or buying a sport federal Elise and changing over the body clams.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
There are a couple companies that send the pieces over from their manufacturers as opposed to from Lotus, so the clams come from france, the chassis from the UK and something else from somewhere else (I may have the countries wrong). Because of this, they can get the car registered as a kit car - you source your own engine.

I think the company is called USA Elise or something to that effect - you can probably find it through google. I really don't know the legitimacy or legality of it, but I do know that the company exists. I also know that it turns out to be about 10-15% more expensive than the federal elise when all is said and done.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I would recommend either waiting... or buying a sport federal Elise and changing over the body clams.
Yup.
Otherwise the Feds will catch up to you and the car eventually.
m

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
*IF* you could sneak it into the country, you could swap VINs with a US-spec Elise and legalize it that way.
You don't even want to consider this unless you like being incarcerated. Swapping VINs on cars is Highly Illegal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts