The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this happened to me at Mid Ohio. Small little cut in the inner passenger side CV axle. Quite a mess when you're hauling ass down that track.

I am going to be ordering a CV boot repair kit.

My question is if it's possible to remove the booted section of the CV shaft where it connects inside the carrier bracket/bearing? I really do not want to pry the entire axle out of the transmission risking damage to the trans seal.

Picture below shows the black carrier bearing between the straight shaft connected to the transaxle and then connecting the CV portion of the axle.

Also, is there enough room to remove only this inside shaft from the carrier bearing? I really do not want to remove any suspension parts from the car because I'll have to get an alignment again.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I really do not want to pry the entire axle out of the transmission risking damage to the trans seal.
I can't address your main question. However, it's very easy to slide the extension shaft out of the trans after unbolting the carrier. No prying/circlip involved.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what you mean. I really hope someone has disconnected the shaft at the carrier bearing to service that CV boot and can shed some light on the topic.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
It's really not a big deal to remove the axle and it doesn't require new alignment.

1) remove axle nut

2) use non-steel mallet (to avoid thread damage) to tap the axle throught the hub a bit.

3) remove brake line mount from a-arm

4) remove toe link end (inner or outer, doesn't matter. Which ever is easiest with your setup)

5) Drain trans oil if you haven't already done so

6) Remove the 2 M10 (14mm head) bolts that secure the axle to the intermediate bearing carrier

7) turn the rear upright all the way so that you can pull the axle out of the hub. You have to turn it hard and to the max. I've had people tell me it can't be done. I've yet to see a Lotus this won't work on, and I've seen a LOT of them. It will come out and will not harm anything.

8) Slide the whole assembly out of the car. There is no clip. The axle seal will be fine.

It's a LOT better to get this on the work bench so that you can throroughly clean and replace the grease etc. Don't grease the boot! Put all the grease in the joint, packed well. Common mistake is to grease the boot.

The joint you're having a problem with has a circlip that will reveal itself when you pull the boot off.. Slides right apart. Easy. You obviously only need to disassemble one side of the axle to do both boots. The outer is a knock-off... Also easy to take a part. Our boots come with grease and clamps.

Get several pairs of rubber gloves and a lot of rags. Place a disposable covering over your work bench to make clean up easier. It's a mess.

-Phil

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys:clap:

Do you recommend any kind of heat shielding around that inner passenger CV boot? I take it the boot cracked because it was so dang old but also am questioning the heat. It didn't leak at the clamp like others have posted. I have catless PPE headers and am naturally aspirated on my '05 Elise. Also have BOE ST muff.

BTW, when I was at Mid Ohio with Porsche Club last Friday and Saturday, people LOVED the sound of my car. Not BS comment from a GT3 owner, "It sounded like a banshee wailing down the back straight!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts