The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like there was a thread about this a couple years back, but didn't find. I'll start with my new '08 Haulmark 16'. Logos are custom made with fleet grade vinyl, 24" diameter. Haulmark isn't the top of the line, but a good value for the money for my low use. Added a concrete pad for it behind my detached garage.

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
"taint much, but it's Home !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
how much does it weigh? Any pic of inside?

I have an open and thinking of getting an enclosed, but finding a small enclosed is not easy.

Is 16' large enough for your Lotus and track gear, spare tires etc?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have an open and thinking of getting an enclosed, but finding a small enclosed is not easy.

Dry weight is 3200lbs, gross 7000. Plenty of overhead space, over 3' in front for stuff. Depends on your space needs I guess. I'm not a regular track junkie, we're using this more for longer road trips, LOG, etc. It's also nice if you need to temporarily free up a garage space for company, etc. A few more pics:

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Nice. I would add a tire rack, overhead cabinets on the front end and maybe a winch.

I was looking at various trailer options, thinking of Featherlite vs Pace vs Haulmark. I believe that Fred Zust got the Haulmark also. I think I will probably get 18' or 20'. Yes, I know some people will say you always want more and 24' is the min. But that is the space I have and the longer it is, the more room it will take.

Question. Can you open your door to get out once you are inside the trailer?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. I would add a tire rack, overhead cabinets on the front end and maybe a winch.

I was looking at various trailer options, thinking of Featherlite vs Pace vs Haulmark. I believe that Fred Zust got the Haulmark also. I think I will probably get 18' or 20'. Yes, I know some people will say you always want more and 24' is the min. But that is the space I have and the longer it is, the more room it will take.

Question. Can you open your door to get out once you are inside the trailer?
Yes, it's a tight fit but not a big issue with those low wheel wells, and I'm 6' 195. Yes, the space issue was also a factor on buying the 16. This hides perfectly behind my detached garage to keep the neighbors (and covenants) happy.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
In looking at your trailer, I am thinking I could live with a 16' long also. I would like to move the front tie downs on the floor more to the rear so I could use that space on the end. At least a little bit. Then an overhead tire rack for 8 racing tires on the very end. A small wall mounted cabinet on the driver's side wall near the front (over the front clam basically). Add a few nice things for track use such hooks and shelves for materials, helmets... and I think it works.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Dave, do you mind sharing the cost of your trailer? What are you towing it with? I am thinking of getting a new Tundra.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts

Bill,

You'd probably want a minimum of 20' for serious track usage/capacity, if your plans entail just hauling the Lotus. The problem with a 16' enclosed unit is the resale market -- it's a much more limited market, and harder to get you money out of, than say a 22 or 24 footer. However, the bigger the enclosed trailer, the more likely you'll need a new (more powerful) towing vehicle than the one you are using for your open trailer. Escalating spiral of $$.

I'd like to get an enclosed down the road but waiting until the time is right to trade in the F-150 on a 250. :)

Until then.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave, do you mind sharing the cost of your trailer? What are you towing it with? I am thinking of getting a new Tundra.
I paid only $5250, and that included delivery from near Chicago to Dayton after some barter. Towing with an H2. A friend of mine just bought a Tundra and loves it.

There really is plenty of room in this trailer if you make effective use of overhead, fold-down benches, etc. That's with an Elise in there of course. I can snap more pics on request.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It might just be the photo, but how do you get it in and out? Doesnt look like you could fit a human along side the car, or open the door. :confused:
You don't necessarily have to be in and get back out of the car. Many people use a winch to get their cars in and out of their trailers. It is good then to have some sort of access through a foward door to attach the front tie down straps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jack,

I have a Featherlite 18' too. I dont have the air dam, I have a custom made four tire rack in front and two storage boxes on the side and fuel can carrier on the tongue. I will post a pic Monday.

It may be less of an issue with you west-coast guys, but in the northeast, we tow in bad weather quite often. It is really a drag to have a car detailed to the teeth when you leave for the track and have it look like it has been through the war when you get there.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You don't necessarily have to be in and get back out of the car. Many people use a winch to get their cars in and out of their trailers. It is good then to have some sort of access through a foward door to attach the front tie down straps.
Good point! I didn't think of that, as all of the trailers I've used are open air, and you just drive onto them, and strap the car down. :up:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
jim-clayton, what kind of trailer is that? And how long is it?
It is a 12 ft utility trailer. No namer ( Cresent ?). I cut 22" from the height.
I winch the car in and out. Pulls real nice being out of the wind. I got an extra 4 mpg after I cut the height down. There is a side door up front, not pictured.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts