The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be very helpful to ascertain if the engines with the defective, worn high lift camshaft lobe are all within a limited production run. For those who have checked, how about posting your engine number, not only if it is one of those affected, but also if it is unaffected. The photo shows where the engine number is located and please note it is engraved vertically. I will pull the valve cover and check mine before the warranty expires in November.
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Don't have my engine number (don't have my car, either :(). But, mine was a 1/05 build, #2077. Broken rocker arm. Based on what I was told :rolleyes:(I never saw my engine with the valve cover off), I didn't have much wear on my cam. At the same time, I didn't spend all that much time on the 2nd cam (1.5% of total engine operation in ~346 hours), relatively speaking.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My Car is at my second home. I'll check the engine number over the weekend, but my car is an early '05 (0831 VIN). Significant wear on cylinder 2, 3, 4 high cams and broken rocker arm on # 3 at 12000 miles.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I spoke to 4 different Toyota dealer service managers and none of them had had experienced this camshaft issue. Seemingly, this is only a Lotus issue, make you wonder why?
Please post your engine number with any relevent comments.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Today I spoke to 4 different Toyota dealer service managers and none of them had had experienced this camshaft issue. Seemingly, this is only a Lotus issue, make you wonder why?
Please post your engine number with any relevent comments.
Which, in my correspondence with them, is exactly what I pointed out and which I also suggested that they may not have picked the proper tool for the job or, in conjunction or not, that their ECU tuning made the likelihood of failure that much more probable.

Case in point: the transmission and its failing synchros.

The irony of all of this is that the portions of the car that actually got me to seriously consider it in the first place - the Toyota components - ended up being my biggest problems. That says to me that they tried to make the job fit the tool instead of the tool fitting the job. I haven't researched it, but I haven't heard of similar failures occurring with Rover-powerplant-equipped cars.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Engine #0144472, but as far as I know, I don't have the problem. ~12K mi. with no issues.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I haven't researched it, but I haven't heard of similar failures occurring with Rover-powerplant-equipped cars.
The Rover K series had other types of failures ;) namely blown head gaskets. I agree with your assessment of the toyota engine in this application.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Not with my car right now...but had mine replaced. Will get number for you when I get home.

Feb 05 Build.

Engine # "coming"

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Joe, I don't intend to pull the cover until just before the warranty expires in November as I have no symptoms. In saying that, "tesprit" had the #3 cam wear with no symtoms, only 2900 miles and only 12 minutes on high cam.
Michael, have you pulled your valve cover yet?
TO ALL, PLEASE POST ENGINE NUMBER & STATE PROBLEM

·
Registered
14 Posts
One more worn cam problem.
My engine number is 0166942.
9000 miles on it.
It's the high lobe in the intake cam, cylinder #2.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Approximately 17k miles when checked
Car build date is May 2004; VIN is 0073
No unusual wear on any lobes

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'll have to check mine. I have an early Vin 000151 maybe like the previous poster I will be ok. My car has 10K and quite a bit on the high cam. It's basically a track car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts