The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Post pics of mods that you can't buy!

50K views 184 replies 87 participants last post by  IamBatman 
#1 ·
Let see who is the most creative:nanner2:

#10 ·
Custom aluminum billet mirror as small as a Sector 111 MicroMirror, but rectangular so the view out the rear window is exactly the width between the seat headrests. It has a special tinted glass mirror to reduce headlight glare at night that you don't notice during the day.

Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door Windshield

Black Vehicle Car Hood Automotive exterior

Can anyone guess which car the aluminum mirror stem came from before I machined it?

#16 · (Edited)
Voice-operated, touchscreen Carputer;

Intel Mac Mini. Runs OSX and Windows. It's got integrated GPS, iTunes (including every song I own), Freescan (connected through the ALDL - logs ECU data while I'm driving), Bluetooth hands-free phone, and a 3G internet connection. The little black pad is a mouse. These pics were taken before I was completely finished.

Amp and power supply tucked away.

I have since cleaned this mess up. The mini fits perfectly in the pouch behind the seat.

Like it's not even there:

The keyboard and mouse have been replaced by an app called 'AirMouse' on the iPhone.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

#20 ·

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
A few things, some not quite finished yet...
*Vented Rear Clam, Trunk Delete
*Gated Shifter (reverse cable routed inside shift lever)
*Firewall Plastic Cover Delete, recovered in Alcantara; ECU relocated inside cabin
*Coolant Line rerouting & simplification
*Alcantara covered dash

Attachments

#22 ·
i pulled out my cpc a few days ago and i'm rewiring it back in, so not much to look at, at the moment,

• tiny pc, with all the usual junk, its about 10x10x5 cm
  • dual boots windows XP or linux
  • wired CAN bus
  • K line
  • bluetooth
  • wireless internet
  • wireless zigbee
  • 10Hz GPS (bluetooth) with remote windshield HUD for speed and compasss heading
  • 7" touchscreen display with two camera input, one for the reversing camera, the other is currently using an HD 1080P camera but that shares with the PC for track loggging
  • it'll support upto 4 HD cameras, i only have one at the moment, HD for less than $200 a camera !
  • records over 400 parameters in real time from the car
  • Expansion bus for extra analog and digital inputs to read and data log things like oil pressure/temp, suspension (planned for the suspension mod)
  • interfaces to the AIM MXL Dash
  • remote telemetry
  • inbuilt web server and data upload via 3G for diagnostics.
  • inputs for multiple widebands
  • tuning software
  • diagnostic software, including data logging, and checking all the actuators etc. i'm finishing up the ABS function stuff
  • has all the circuit diagrams and so on
  • custom ecu software, with variable traction and launch control, controllable from the touch screen and can be integrated with the GPS as well as storing multiple maps that can also be selected via GPS

Planned upgrades are remote screen with the iphone/n95 and making sure the telemetery works on track , as well as finishing up the hardware to control the multiple HD cameras. Adding adaptive aero control thats centralised with the ecu and cpc rather than a standalone box.

One day i hope to start working with nitron on the mag shocks, i talked to them about it at length.

Attachments

#26 ·
[*]10Hz GPS (bluetooth) with remote windshield HUD for speed and compass heading
That is one bass heavy, ELF transmitting GPS Chuck... and no, I am not talking about the fish.

Viper, I WANT your mods! Why do you have to live across the country?

#24 ·
Charlie are you going to enter the DARPA Urban Challange?

#25 ·
Lotus already entered it without me !

No the reason is i'm still a very novice track driver, so i need all the help i can get !

Its basically a test bed for ideas and testing on the standalone ecu and software i develop for the racing applications, but the novice bit is still true ;)

I didn't list all the stuff it has in it, because its well, secret!

#29 ·
You don't have to worry about the PC overheating behind the seat of that Esprit? I've been wanting to put a car pc in my prelude for a long time now and am contemplating where to put it. Trunk most likely.

Great stuff all!

#30 ·
Behind the seats is perfect - the fans point up and with the window down (how I drive most of the time) there's plenty of air circulating back there. In the winter it also doubles as a nice heater :). It hasn't overheated yet. I considered the trunk but felt like I'd rather have more accessible in case I wanted to plug in a flash drive or CD/DVD.

#31 ·
day night mini mirror and voltphreaks battery instal

day night mirror and bracket all garage fabricated.

Attachments

#32 ·
Excuse me for voicing my observation, but I felt you may want to be aware.
The bottom of the bolt on the positive battery terminal is live, visible and uninsulated. All you need is something metallic in the trunk to contact both the positive and negative terminals and you have a direct short that could easily lead to a fire.;)
Michael
day night mirror and bracket all garage fabricated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.