The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called up my insurance company, ERIE (Northeast US), and they gave me a quote of 890/year based on the value of the car. Of course, these are only initial values and can change and is based on my coverage level and deductible, but at least we can get an idea of rates around the country. Please post the following

1. Rate
2. Primary car or pleasure vehicle.

For me -

1. 890/year.
2. Pleasure.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Wow, that's cheap. I doubt it will be that low, but we can hope. Maybe additional info is your age and driving record, as well as city/state.

I haven't called yet. It's still too early for me to worry about. I won't get my car for at least a year.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tidalwdave said:
Wow, that's cheap. I doubt it will be that low, but we can hope. Maybe additional info is your age and driving record, as well as city/state.

I haven't called yet. It's still too early for me to worry about. I won't get my car for at least a year.
How about the following for info -

1. Rate .
3. Insurance Company.
4. Age and Married/Single.
5. Driving Recod.
6. City/State.

For me -

1. 890/year.
2. Pleasure.
3. Erie.
4. 27/married.
5. No accidents (1 not my fault accident)/tickets last 3 years.
6. York, PA

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Here is a place that insures cars based on agreed value.

http://www.grundy.com

What Is Agreed Value?

You can predetermine the value of your vehicle. Once our underwriting team has agreed to this amount, it becomes the coverage limit of the policy term. In the event of a total loss, this amount is paid, with no deductible in most states.

Is Collector's Insurance Right For you?

Grundy Worldwide's underwriters can insure almost any collector vehicle you own regardless of year or model. Collector vehicles must be used for show, hobby, and pleasure purposes only. They should be owned in addition to vehicles used for daily transportation for all operators in your household, and can be in excellent original or restored condition.

High Liability Limits Available

The collector vehicle policy reaches beyond standard liability limits to offer additional coverage, up to $1,000,000. This is added security for those who choose to buy higher limits.

No Mileage Limitations

This policy authorizes unlimited hobby use of your collector vehicle in collector activities, exhibits and parades. While participating in these events, owners are free to enjoy their collector vehicle without monitoring the odometer.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Wow, that would be perfect! I will have a third car for everyday, so that insurance would work. I hope they dont have an age minimum. I'll be 25 when I finally get the elise, but one classic car insurance place wouldnt insure me under 27.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I recieved one based on the value of the car. It came back about as much as insuring *both* my 96 Accord and 400rwhp 93 RX-7.

1. 2600/yr - 100/300
2. Primary
3. Amica Insurance
4. 22 Single
5. Clean - no tickets or reported accidents
6. St. Petersburg, Florida

nxm150 said:
How about the following for info -

1. Rate .
3. Insurance Company.
4. Age and Married/Single.
5. Driving Recod.
6. City/State.

For me -

1. 890/year.
2. Pleasure.
3. Erie.
4. 27/married.
5. No accidents (1 not my fault accident)/tickets last 3 years.
6. York, PA

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just spoke to Grundy Ins. and they told me with my specs:
27 yo
married
no tickets on record
in state of La

that the yearly estimate would be 590.00/yr
this includes no deductable and full comp and collision, but you cannot use the car as a daily car. The way they jugde this is at the time of the claim if you were using your car for daily activities, they would not cover it.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
ulmpharmd said:
I just spoke to Grundy Ins. and they told me with my specs:
27 yo
married
no tickets on record
in state of La

that the yearly estimate would be 590.00/yr
this includes no deductable and full comp and collision, but you cannot use the car as a daily car. The way they jugde this is at the time of the claim if you were using your car for daily activities, they would not cover it.
wow. ... that's not bad at all. I'll be 28 and unmarried (hopefully) by then, so it should be roughly the same.

I wonder how they know if you were "using your car for daily activities" or not?

I mean, it's going to be my pleasure car, but i'd still like to drive it to work now and then ....

·
Registered
963 Posts
My S2K is a "pleasure" car. It isn't a daily driver. In my first year, I put over 11k miles on it. It's only a "weekend" car, but I drove it from Tampa to Jacksonville Fl a few times for some meets. Drove it to Key West (long drive) and drove it to The Tail of the Dragon. I also drive it to the beach quite a bit (long drive from where I live). I drive it to work only 15 times tops in a year. So, my car is really only for pleasure, but I still racked up the miles on it.

I think if I got into a wreck in my car, they'd see the miles on it and say it wasn't just my pleasure car. So, I'm guessing with that "pleasure rate", you could only put so many miles on it in a year? I didn't check with mine, so I'm clueless.

If you could only put say 6K miles a year on it, that wouldn't work for me. I'd do the Dragon twice in one year and put that many miles on it, then I'd have to not drive it the rest of the year.:mad:

My car truely is for "pleasure", but I take trips in it. So, does anyone really know what the guidelines are typically to get the pleasure rates?:confused:

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I just checked my insurance company and to insure my Z3 and Elise (Elise being the pleasure car) it is going to cost me over $2000/ year. And I only get 10,000 miles/year with the pleasure car. I am afraid I will put that many miles on the Elise in the first couple of months.:D

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I'm afraid I'm pretty much screwed on insurance...

I'm paying a premium even to insure my BMW 3-series.

21 years old, single, 2 accidents.

One accident was a drunk driver who flew across a busy 2 lane street from a sidestreet thinking they could make it across - they hit me. The other was an idiotic housewife rear ending me in her cocoon (SUV).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little Bastard said:
Thanks. Yeah, I just checked my insurance company and to insure my Z3 and Elise (Elise being the pleasure car) it is going to cost me over $2000/ year. And I only get 10,000 miles/year with the pleasure car. I am afraid I will put that many miles on the Elise in the first couple of months.:D
Little Bastard, can you break up your insurance rates of the Elise and Z3.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hey nxm150
I'm sorry. What do you mean "break up your insurance rates of the Elise and Z3"? If by this you meant how much does it cost for the BMW and how much for the Lotus. Right now I am paying $1100/year on the Z3. As for the Elise alone it would be about $2000.

Neil

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: Quick Question

Little Bastard said:
Hey Everybody
How many miles a year are you allowed to put on a car when you insure it as a "pleasure vehicle"?

Neil
That is the $$ question. I normally don't put a lot of miles on my car (about 6K a year)...but I am sure the Elise will get more use as I intend on a few trips in it.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have insurance thru my credit union and they use Liberty Mutual.
My current insurance is $1100 for 2 cars- a 89 Probe with no collision and a 99 Cougar with $500 deductable. I also have my homeowners insurance with them (about $1200 per year, but I might be getting a discount since I dont have a mortgage and have a 809 credit score) so I get a 20% discount on the car insurance. Both cars are insured for under 7500 miles per year, and the Probe is used for commuting less than 5 miles per day to work, and the Cougar is pleasure use only. If I dropped the Cougar and based on a $40,000 car they said my insurance would be about $200 more per year. I might keep the other cars and see about getting collector car insurance since I dont put a lot of miles on them. Once a month I do a 400 mile trip to Daytona in the Cougar and use it to go on trips of 50 miles or more. I use the Probe with 180,000 miles as a beater for work and around town

Im in FL, single, 43, unmarried, no accidents or tickets.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Once again this topic raises it ugly head $$$ insurance $$$. Spoke to my agent Geico and they don’t cover the Elise, guess I'm shopping for a new company now. It's been a little while and we are now past the LA show. I will use this as a second car/weekend car.

What is the current thinking for insurance on the Elise?

What insurance company is best?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts