The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be pretty cool if people could post up their data log files so other people could compare to their own. I know there are a bunch of different data loggers so you will only be able to compare data with folks who have the same system. If enough people contribute I think we could end up with quite a nice collection of data files.

Zip the files to allow upload to vBulletin.

Traqmate:
MSR Houston 02-10-08

I will have files for Grandsport speedway and Texas world speedway later this month.

If enough people contribute this could become worthy of creating a sticky.. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Barry

That's a great idea - would be fantastic if there was an easy store of data files.

But :shrug: all my DL-1 files are several MB even when zipped, so they exceed Lotustalk's attachment limits. Anyone think of a way around this?

FWIW I would be interested in hearing from anyone in the Midwest who goes to Putnam / Gingerman / Grattan / Mid-Ohio and wants to swap DL-1 files: PM Me :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Does the DL-1 software allow you to split up sessions and laps? I haven't played around w the DL1 sw in over a year.

I'll get mine up there, as soon as I can find my cable to plug into my usb adapter,and prune the "bad data" out of there:eek:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barry

That's a great idea - would be fantastic if there was an easy store of data files.

But :shrug: all my DL-1 files are several MB even when zipped, so they exceed Lotustalk's attachment limits. Anyone think of a way around this?
Ill see if I can work up a place to host the files tonight, wasnt aware the DL1 files were so large. It would however be better if we could find a way to host the files here on LotusTalk as the files will remain here for ever, file hosts come and go and if they go so do the files.

·
Registered
337 Posts
DL-1 does allow you to alter the length of the run, so, for example, I could edit the file and post my best lap, but the usefulness of the data also lies in comparing multiple laps and looking for trends, so this doesn't seem the best way to go :shrug:

Maybe one easy way to do it would be to have various users make a single post ID'ing their setup and tracks, for example:

1. Data Acquisition Unit (DL1 / Traqmate / G2X etc)
  2. Car (Elise / Exige / Exige S / Gotham etc)
  3. Suspension (Touring :D Track / Nitrons SA / DA etc)
  4. Tires (A048 / Hoosiers etc)
  5. Tracks (TWS / Grattan / Mid-Ohio etc)

And then if anyone wants to swap data they can PM each other to arrange this? And as someone added more data they could go back and edit their post - wouldn't this also serve to update anyone who had subscribed to the post? Maybe could even be a sticky?

As an additional thought, remember that even if, say, you use a Traqmate, there is nothing stopping you examining someone elses DL-1 data for a common track - and vice versa the other way and for G2X users etc. f you can get the data, then I think the Analysis software is a free download.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DL-1 does allow you to alter the length of the run, so, for example, I could edit the file and post my best lap, but the usefulness of the data also lies in comparing multiple laps and looking for trends, so this doesn't seem the best way to go :shrug:

Maybe one easy way to do it would be to have various users make a single post ID'ing their setup and tracks, for example:

1. Data Acquisition Unit (DL1 / Traqmate / G2X etc)
  2. Car (Elise / Exige / Exige S / Gotham etc)
  3. Suspension (Touring :D Track / Nitrons SA / DA etc)
  4. Tires (A048 / Hoosiers etc)
  5. Tracks (TWS / Grattan / Mid-Ohio etc)

And then if anyone wants to swap data they can PM each other to arrange this? And as someone added more data they could go back and edit their post - wouldn't this also serve to update anyone who had subscribed to the post? Maybe could even be a sticky?

As an additional thought, remember that even if, say, you use a Traqmate, there is nothing stopping you examining someone elses DL-1 data for a common track - and vice versa the other way and for G2X users etc. f you can get the data, then I think the Analysis software is a free download.

What do you think?
Personally I would prefer data to be hosted so I could just download and view when ever I like. Waiting for someone to PM you the data would just take to long and be much more work for everyone involved. Once the data is posted here you never have to mess with it again.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
What do you think?
I think you shoud've been flying today...it was beautiful VFR coming back from HEF !! ( sorry for the hijack ! ) ( but to keep on the subject; I'd like to see the DL files also !! )

·
Registered
337 Posts
Threadjacked! Thanks for rubbing it in Kestrel ..........

Meantime, I totally agree with hosted data being best - I was just aiming at the immediately achievable over the potentially possible ;)

Whatever format, remember we need some way of ID'ing the car and setup associated with the data, otherwise it isn't much use.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Threadjacked! Thanks for rubbing it in Kestrel ..........

Meantime, I totally agree with hosted data being best - I was just aiming at the immediately achievable over the potentially possible ;)

Whatever format, remember we need some way of ID'ing the car and setup associated with the data, otherwise it isn't much use.
If you have your car data in your sig that should be sufficient . Honestly If its an Elise or Exige the car data is not that important unless your one of the very best drivers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Agreed if you can see someone's sig then that would be fine - but would you see this if hosted somewhere? Not sure - I don't know enough about the details of what could be setup.

But I disagree on the importance of knowing the cars setup - detailed differences in suspension, sure, but the difference between stock suspension / A048s and a quality aftermarket suspension / Hoosiers or supercharger etc. is several seconds a lap - big deal if trying to compare and seeking out differences worth 1/10s of a second!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed if you can see someone's sig then that would be fine - but would you see this if hosted somewhere? Not sure - I don't know enough about the details of what could be setup.

But I disagree on the importance of knowing the cars setup - detailed differences in suspension, sure, but the difference between stock suspension / A048s and a quality aftermarket suspension / Hoosiers or supercharger etc. is several seconds a lap - big deal if trying to compare and seeking out differences worth 1/10s of a second!
I guess what I'm saying is a good driver on A048's can be faster several seconds faster than an average driver on Hoosiers.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Also alot of folks have put their data up on Traqmate's website. Don't recall seeing any Lotus cars on any of the tracks I frequent.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also alot of folks have put their data up on Traqmate's website. Don't recall seeing any Lotus cars on any of the tracks I frequent.
exactly why I created this thread.. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
How about uploading the files to the Track and Motorsports Gallery section of LotusTalk, or maybe a new gallery section? Obviously, the data files aren't pictures, but the current format of the Gallery allows for a description (Data Unit and Car Setup) so all Randy would need to do is allow the File Type - either .zip as Barry was using, or the individual DL-1 (.run), G2-X (???) or Traqmate (.tqm) files

Randy, Barry, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
DL-1 does allow you to alter the length of the run, so, for example, I could edit the file and post my best lap,

I haven't figured out how to do that. Please explain. I'd like to cut/paste my best laps into one "all star" file for analysis. Can this be done with DL1 files?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about uploading the files to the Track and Motorsports Gallery section of LotusTalk, or maybe a new gallery section? Obviously, the data files aren't pictures, but the current format of the Gallery allows for a description (Data Unit and Car Setup) so all Randy would need to do is allow the File Type - either .zip as Barry was using, or the individual DL-1 (.run), G2-X (???) or Traqmate (.tqm) files

Randy, Barry, what do you think?
Problem is the Gallery probably has the same size limit... Ill see if I can get Randy to increase the size limit on .tqm and .run files to accommodate us.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sometimes its hard to get a good baseline from numerous laps due to anamolies and occurances out there (ie yellow or worse red flag thrown during the session,behind a herd of slow moving cattle..etc).

Example,last year a z06 blew its engine spilling oil from track out in one turn all the way to turn in on the next. This resulted in removal of a critical passing zone. So either way the data may be skewed due to the issues mentioned.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In the DL-1 analysis program, click on Data and then Run Manager - there is an option that allows you to reduce run length by saving data only from X to Y seconds

But, I don't know / don't think its possible to stitch runs together :shrug:

UPDATE: Once you have shortened the data you should see the option to resave this new raw data

·
Registered
114 Posts
DL-1 Thunderhill Data

Does anyone here have a DL-1 data file for an Elise or Exige for Thunderhill they wouldn't mind sharing with me. I just installed my DL-1 and will be heading to TH on the 16th. Would like to look over some data before heading out to the track. PM me & we can figure best method of sharing the files.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts