The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into buying a used Elise as I'm a nut for lightweight, high-performance sports cars. The Elise would be my optimal choice right now especially considering the gas prices! It's my 2nd day of research (still quite a ways to go) and I've already been browsing through the threads to find out things like fuel economy, tire configurations etc. One thing that I noticed was the issue with the "defect" with the premature wearing of the camshaft lobes on the '05 models. Would there be anything else serious worth worrying about when buying a used Elise? Reliability is a big issue for me and I'm lucky the three used cars I've owned have been absolutely trouble-free except for wear 'n tear items.

If anyone has tips with buying used Elises I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

p.s. I'm from Toronto, Canada and willing to work with the seller to iron out a deal. The prices for Elises over here are ridiculous! (just like all other cars)

·
Registered
485 Posts
p.s. I'm from Toronto, Canada and willing to work with the seller to iron out a deal. The prices for Elises over here are ridiculous! (just like all other cars)
Welcome to LT. Unfortunately there is no way that you can legally import a US Elise into Canada. It is not on the approved list. Search for an earlier post about this.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into buying a used Elise as I'm a nut for lightweight, high-performance sports cars. The Elise would be my optimal choice right now especially considering the gas prices! It's my 2nd day of research (still quite a ways to go) and I've already been browsing through the threads to find out things like fuel economy, tire configurations etc. One thing that I noticed was the issue with the "defect" with the premature wearing of the camshaft lobes on the '05 models. Would there be anything else serious worth worrying about when buying a used Elise? Reliability is a big issue for me and I'm lucky the three used cars I've owned have been absolutely trouble-free except for wear 'n tear items.

If anyone has tips with buying used Elises I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

That's going to be your problem there as your RIV will not allow a US Elise to be registered in Canada due to bumper and daytime running light regulations.

To make matters worst, the 6th to last digit for US Lotus cars is an L while Canada uses M. Many people have considered doing what you want to do but have found it difficult to nearly impossible to do....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies :)

This really sucks. I know our bumper standards were recently changed to match that of the US and Europe. The daytime running lights should be a relatively easy fix. I check on RIV Limited and it says it's inadmissable.... there go my hopes :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts