The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...i got into Lotus's recently. I currently drive a Sti, Corolla turbod and a M6. My girlfriend mostly drives the Sti...lol

When i was coming home on my corolla about 2 weeks ago i saw a Lotus on the street and just fell in love with it. I'm looking into selling one of my cars and getting a Lotus Exige S240 or just buying one without selling any of my cars.

I just want some opinions on you guys that have driven/owned Elise, Exige and other Lotus's on which one i should really get considering i'm a new Lotus guy.

Thanks all in advance...and when i buy it i will be at meets :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
O my........ Do you know how to search? This gets asked every week.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
hey guys...i got into Lotus's recently. I currently drive a Sti, Corolla turbod and a M6. My girlfriend mostly drives the Sti...lol

When i was coming home on my corolla about 2 weeks ago i saw a Lotus on the street and just fell in love with it. I'm looking into selling one of my cars and getting a Lotus Exige S240 or just buying one without selling any of my cars.

I just want some opinions on you guys that have driven/owned Elise, Exige and other Lotus's on which one i should really get considering i'm a new Lotus guy.

Thanks all in advance...and when i buy it i will be at meets :)
Welcome Serpent!

Tracking? Get an Exige! Fast, more macho, better downforce. Can't see out the back very well, but who cares on the track?

Street? Get an Elise! Also fast.

Test drive both before you decide.

They are both great cars! :D

If you love the Lotus you'll have to get it...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O my........ Do you know how to search? This gets asked every week.
my bad but since i alerady created a thread might as well use it...:p lol

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Serpent!

Tracking? Get an Exige! Fast, more macho, better downforce. Can't see out the back very well, but who cares on the track?

Street? Get an Elise! Also fast.

Test drive both before you decide.

They are both great cars! :D

If you love the Lotus you'll have to get it...

well i'm definately going to be on the track...and on the street. However, i'm not going to be on the street A LOT...it wont be my daily driver, I have turbo'd corolla for that :D.
I just love the looks of the S240....and not seeing out of the back isnt a problem for me because all my cars are tinted 2% all around and i cant see out the back anyway, lol, so i'm used to it.

Thanks for the welcome :wave:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Go test drive one... these cars arent like anything you currently have so make sure it's for you first. Getting one just for looks is the reason why so many cars show up for sale with <1k miles. Its hard to get in/out, noisy, rough, little things tend to break, and gets a lot of (negative) attention. The positives outweigh the negatives by a lot for most people on here, but for some, they can't deal with the above

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go test drive one... these cars arent like anything you currently have so make sure it's for you first. Getting one just for looks is the reason why so many cars show up for sale with <1k miles. Its hard to get in/out, noisy, rough, little things tend to break, and gets a lot of (negative) attention. The positives outweigh the negatives by a lot for most people on here, but for some, they can't deal with the above
thanks man...i'm not buying it for the looks (just said the S240 specifically is what i'm tryna get because it looks sick). I'm buying one because its a drivers car and i'm a drivers car kinda guy. I can deal with the noise, little things and it being hard to get in and out of.

I'm going to test drive one on saturday...and Elise and a S240. Theres a Lotus dealer about 10miles from my house which i'm very glad for.

Is it a lot more negative attention than driving a 599GTB???(most people appreciate seeing the car and gives a thumbs up..take pics or what not. then theres people that has the envious look on their face and seems like they want to run over you). The 599 wasnt mine...but i got the chance to drive it when one of my buddies let me drive his.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
How important is open-top motoring to you? From your current lineup, I'm guessing not real. But once you try it, who knows. For me, having a car that is meant to be driven topless was key. I prefer power-top convertible tops but that's not an option in a Lotus.

Anyway, the first issue with the Exige is that you can't take the top with you unless it's on the car. Not cool if you think you might see rain or might want the security when the car is parked, but want to do the drive under the sun (or stars). There are work-arounds to retrofit soft tops to Exiges but the factory recommends that you only remove the Exige top for service.

Then there's the styling. IMO the Elise is hot and the Exige looks like an Elise with a 1970's Trans-Am rear window. So it's a little less hot.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How important is open-top motoring to you? From your current lineup, I'm guessing not real. But once you try it, who knows. For me, having a car that is meant to be driven topless was key. I prefer power-top convertible tops but that's not an option in a Lotus.

Anyway, the first issue with the Exige is that you can't take the top with you unless it's on the car. Not cool if you think you might see rain or might want the security when the car is parked, but want to do the drive under the sun (or stars). There are work-arounds to retrofit soft tops to Exiges but the factory recommends that you only remove the Exige top for service.

Then there's the styling. IMO the Elise is hot and the Exige looks like an Elise with a 1970's Trans-Am rear window. So it's a little less hot.
i've never really had a convirtable....so it doesnt really matter to me. I should try it though becuase i might end up liking it.
I like the way the Exige looks...i dunno why...the first time i saw it i said to myself i want one of those. lol

More attention than a 599? nice...i dunno...as long as people only look and not touch my car i'm fine and most people dont even know what a 599 is :eek:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
More attention than a 599?
I think some of the attention is just because of the size. It's shockingly small "in the wild". Of course, the lines are dead sexy too so it's gotta be a mix.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think some of the attention is just because of the size. It's shockingly small "in the wild". Of course, the lines are dead sexy too so it's gotta be a mix.

i cant wait to test drive it and finally own one:nanner2: and then of course the meets should be even more fun. Cruising with 10-15 Lotus's has to be fun.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of your driving over 100mph? Get an exige. Otherwise, imo, get an elise. Either way, take both for a test drive before you buy.
so basically if i drive like i own it by an elise but if i drive like i stole it buy a exige? rotfl:shift:

most of my driving on the highway is close to 100mph..lol..MD state troopers on the highway are bitchy..:shrug:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think some of the attention is just because of the size. It's shockingly small "in the wild".
At a gas station yesterday, a guy pulls up to the pump next to me in a '76 Ford Gran Torino, gets out and walks over to the Elise and says, "Wow. I knew they were small but I didn't know they were THAT small!"

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hope you get one its a blast of a car

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys...i hope i get one too..i'm going to test drive the elise and the exige on saturday.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
At a gas station yesterday, a guy pulls up to the pump next to me in a '76 Ford Gran Torino, gets out and walks over to the Elise and says, "Wow. I knew they were small but I didn't know they were THAT small!"
I still remember the first time I noticed how low you sit in one. The ground clearance is not any lower than other common sportscars (eg the Boxster) but the seats are so thin and low.

Anyway, my wife and I were sitting at a stop light. I pointed to the Civic in front of us and said, "Hey look, we're eye level with that license plate."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts