The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this first in the evora section, didn't think I would like the Exige, but did some research and i'm considering buying one. I have a few questions.

1) im assuming from the searches ive done, many more mods for the exige then the evora? Right?

2) Any regrets buying your exige?

3) Build quality? 1-10

4) I'm 6'1 could I get in and out?

and lastly, this won't be my DD, but I would drive it 3-4 days a week for fun. I know it's all about being light, but does the lack of creature comforts make you want to drive it less?

thanks

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I will bite...

No regrets, but I baked in all the realities I could find from other LT members...

Yes about as many mods available for Exige as Elise maybe more since most elise mods work with Exige,but not all revert back to Elise. Def more than Evora for now anyway.

Build quality ? well I am fairly pragmatic about it, certainly is no German engineering... but it more than makes up for it in the rawness of the experience

build quality maybe 7-8 ?

6'1" many would say sure no problem. I would drive one... I am 5'10" and I won't drive mine more than 3 consecutive days, the vibrations, noise and tight interior just makes it no fun after approx 2-3 days of DD..

That is just me, and I am a fair weather driver, but no garage queen. I would think the uncomfort would be compounded if I was any taller. I would think of it more like a motorcycle with the associated impracticality issues.

Just the same for me... I would say I would purchase the same vehicle again. I drive it when I feel like it, and it rewards me in spades. I don't drive it when I don't feel like it. Sounds intuitive, but I would probablly have more negative feelings if I had to drive it everyday...

I have to end with the ubiquitous " there is nothing else like it " Super fun toycars... Evora is something I might be interested in when I am a bit older. I love the fact that driving this car takes commitment and take a little out of me. I like that I have to fold myself in half to get in and out. I like how snug it fits, and how it handles on the road.

They are angry willful little cars and I love that !:nanner:

·
Registered
224 Posts
1) im assuming from the searches ive done, many more mods for the exige then the evora? Right?

3) Build quality? 1-10

1 - That's correct, atleast for the time being.

2 - None; but I knew going in what the car was for.

3 - 10? I've had no problems. Some self maintenance can be a pain just because you'll have to remove the clams at times; but thats pretty rare.

4 - I'm 6'1' and can easily get in and out. Riding with a helmet on track days is a little tricky, though. Your head will bump/slide on the roof at times.
4.5 - If you're like me, you might have a large shoe size. My work 'dress' shoes and normal sneakers are too big for the pedals (I can't hit the gas without also hitting the brake and vice versa), so you might have to purchase some speedcats or 'raceshoes' and leave them in the car.

5 - I drive it ~3 times a week. It's not bad, but you do have to think before you leave :
  • Where am I going to park (no steep inclines to garages)
  • Are the roads nicely paved to where I'm going (potholes are not only rough on the spine, but can throw your steering out of whack)
  • How 'sketchy' is the neighborhood
  • If there's going to be heavy traffic (not a bad traffic car, but people just dont see you and will drive right into you)
  • Gas stations (10 gallon tank)
  • Am I carrying something (or someone)? The trunk will fit two backpacks, but thats about it. The ride is great if you're driving, but some passengers who are not auto enthusiasts become annoyed after the 'coolness' factor has worn off

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, I didnt know it only had a 10 gallon tank. So if you drive it "spirited" and get 10 MPG, that's a 100 mile range? Ouch..

How noisy is it in the cabin exactly? I've read a lot of people saying passangers or wifes won't enjoy it for long, is the ride and noise that bad?

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
go test drive one, it will solve lots of questions. Hopefully if you get spirited and get 10 mi per gallon you'll start looking for a gas station before you hit 100 mi ;-)

·
Registered
949 Posts
thanks for the replies, I didnt know it only had a 10 gallon tank. So if you drive it "spirited" and get 10 MPG, that's a 100 mile range? Ouch..

How noisy is it in the cabin exactly? I've read a lot of people saying passangers or wifes won't enjoy it for long, is the ride and noise that bad?
You'd have to be -seriously- on it to get 10MPG, and chances are if you're driving in such a way that you're only getting 10MPG, you're not going to be driving 100 miles.

It's loud and only minimally comfortable. You need to be an enthusiast to enjoy a long trip in it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to own a 2006 Elise for over 5 years. It immediately became my daily driver and performed well for the 34K miles that I owned it. Keep in mind that my responses are coming from my experiences daily driving 6 days a week, augmented by the 370Z, RX-8 or Explorer one weekend day. The only time my car felt slow or not fun was after returning from the track from driving my 6-speed shifter karts :evil:

1. The Elise/Exige has been out for many years, and therefore the 2ZZGE has many aftermarket options. The "right" upgrades can be expensive on this car.

2. No regrets except that you may never be truly happy with another car ever again. One thing you will pick up quickly (and unfortunately) is how to convey "don't talk to me" through body language. Let me fill up my tiny gas tank and be on my way.

3. I would rate my 2006 Elise as a 6 in build quality. Many expensive things broke on my car; thankfully under warranty (Central Door Locking Module, A/C Resistor Pack, Intake and Exhaust cams :rolleyes:, steering rack :rolleyes:, door window guides). The instrument cluster goes bad in many cars as well. There are lots of squeaks, buzzes, rattles, etc. but these shouldn’t bother you if you understand the nature of the vehicle.

4. At 6'1" you should fit fairly comfortably. I'm 5'10", 170lbs and fit perfectly with about two clicks on the driver’s seat to spare. Extended drives with a passenger are uncomfortable since shoulders rub the whole time.

Regarding the noise levels, I don’t find these cars to be that loud, obnoxious or uncomfortable. Once again you need to appreciate the nature of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I regret buying it because it ruined me for any other sports car currently or ever likely to be in my price range. There are faster cars, there are better handling cars, but I've not run across one at any level that offers the visceral experience.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Yes, but they don't need anything as they are great out of the box. The supercharger really make an excellent car even more amazing (former elise owner, now exige S owner). Other than maybe tuning to get more power, I don't see the point to a lot of the mods people do, but that is just my humble opinion.

Took me forever to find one.

3) Build quality? 1-10

Fit and finish: 2
Worried it will break down and leave me stranded: 5
Worried it will be uneconomical to repair mechanically or expensive to do so: 10
Worried about little stuff that will bother me: 3

Sure, you will just look stupid doing so.

5) and lastly, this won't be my DD, but I would drive it 3-4 days a week for fun. I know it's all about being light, but does the lack of creature comforts make you want to drive it less?

Anything over 2 hours is really uncomfortable. Anytime it is above 80 degrees the AC can't keep up. The heat sucks. It runs warm in traffic. Every imperfection in the road feels like a pot hole. The seat squeaks and rocks when in the rearmost position. No one can see you and you can't see out the back. Nevertheless, I drove my elise every day I could including winter with snow tires. This time around it is [one of my] fun cars.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts

Sure, you will just look stupid doing so.
Too true!!

With practice, it gets a bit easier. I no longer think I look 'stupid' but I am under no illusions that it is anything close to 'graceful'.

Worth the effort once I get in there, though.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts

Yes, currently.

Yep. I regret that I ever sold my old Lotus after having it for 3 years... then wasting time and money over the next 2 years looking for something to replace it with. I regret the time lost looking elsewhere :D

3) Build quality? 1-10

This is HIGHLY variable since they are hand made cars. My current one is a 7-8 compared to other sports cars (My Exige is one of the best I've seen. It still rattles, creaks, and has parts fall off though). My first one was a 2-3.

Lotus compared to other manufacturers is easily in the bottom 10th percentile.

Ease of ingress/egress will depend on your leg to torso ratio. If you have long legs it's actually easier since there is a LOT of legroom in these cars for their size.

5) and lastly, this won't be my DD, but I would drive it 3-4 days a week for fun. I know it's all about being light, but does the lack of creature comforts make you want to drive it less?

Mine is garaged most of the summer in AZ. It can get nearly unbearably hot inside when it's over 100 degrees. It's actually more comfortable on a motorcycle straddling a hot engine.

I used to DD mine. I don't do it anymore for reasons other than comfort though. I am now working in an area with a lot of union workers and they don't take kindly to management owning nice things :shrug:

A long test drive will answer a lot of your questions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
After having my 2006 Exige S (UK spec) for a month now, what everyone has posted is very accurate. One thing to add since I just did the Hockenheimring F1 track yesterday: it is possible to get it down to 13MPG. 10 would be difficult. I get 15MPG on the Nürburgring!

I'm 6'0", longer legs rather than torso would be easier but I've gotten used to it after DDing for a month now!

No regrets, can't wait to get on the mods!

Edit: forgot to add, both my wife and one of her friends have fallen asleep in it... at autobahn speeds... maybe it's like the noise from inside an airplane?

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
After having my 2006 Exige S (UK spec) for a month now, what everyone has posted is very accurate. One thing to add since I just did the Hockenheimring F1 track yesterday: it is possible to get it down to 13MPG. 10 would be difficult. I get 15MPG on the Nürburgring!

I'm 6'0", longer legs rather than torso would be easier but I've gotten used to it after DDing for a month now!
I've got a 2009 Cup 260 that I took on Bahrain International Circit and I only got 10mpg! I filled it up, drove 66-km to the track and got 16 laps in at 6.3-km each for a total of 102-km...they used the endurance track with 23 turns. My tank was dry after that! I drove it to a gas station 2-km away and put in 40-liters of fule.

I'm also 6' 0" and love the car...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got a 2009 Cup 260 that I took on Bahrain International Circit and I only got 10mpg! I filled it up, drove 66-km to the track and got 16 laps in at 6.3-km each for a total of 102-km...they used the endurance track with 23 turns. My tank was dry after that! I drove it to a gas station 2-km away and put in 40-liters of fule.
Nice! My 13mpg average did have a bit of autobahn on either side, didn't fill up at the track, but your extra 40 horses probably gotta drink some extra too! ;)

I can keep ya posted on my economy destroying efforts if I can pickup a Blade 300 soon :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
My turn:

-- I haven't tried to compare but you can pretty much get anything you'd want. Worse case, you paint stuff and the engine is a Toyota.

-- none. Its exactly what it is. You'll either have it for a year or have it forever (or its replacement)

3) Build quality? 1-10

--Engine: 9 or 10
-- Suspension: maybe 7 - downgraded for fragility but light weight comes with a cost
-- shifter/tranny: 4 - the tranny is good to maybe 300HP (I've read) and its a cable shifter - do the mods to improve it. Easy and worthwhile....takes it to at least a 4.2...
-- body: 5ish? Lots of variability
--Interior/details: about a 2

--6'1", 185, 34" inseam, a little belly and 54. I've learned to actually be fairly graceful. Maybe 6'2" would be pushing it but girth is probably harder to handle. You basically can't have anything in your hands when you get out. My size 12's are a challenge but for short drives, I go barefoot. Otherwise, I look to buy shoes that will fit.

and lastly, this won't be my DD, but I would drive it 3-4 days a week for fun. I know it's all about being light, but does the lack of creature comforts make you want to drive it less?

--this is my daily driver now. (Daughter comes home from college so she gets the spare/airport car.) I drive 30 minutes on smooth suburban streets, 19 stop lights, 20 miles, top speed limit of 55. Its harsh, the radio is a POS and the AC clearly doesn't work. Its going to suck in the summer but I'll still be smiling when I get out the car.

And my fuel consumption every day is 24 mpg and 12 mpg on track. Good news is it doesn't cost much to fill up.

thanks[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you're cross-shopping the Evora versus the Exige and build quality is a concern, this may not be the car for you. The car rattles and vibrates and something will probably fall off at some point. I'm a little obsessive-compulsive and some of the rattles irritate me (in particular one over my left shoulder) but you just have to roll with it in these cars.

As for size, I'm 6'2" and fit in the car with a helmet. It's not spacious but there's room.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow a lot of good replies. I didn't get a chance to test drive one this weekend, but i wil be this upcoming weekend.

I think the Evora has more comfort, and is heavier but the Exige is lighter and faster. Maybe buy a Evora and mod it to 400 HP.. I really don't know, i'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all the replies with great info!! Helps alot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts