The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello lotus this is my virgin post. I'm looking at a used 2011 Evora S but have a few questions.

I'm trying to decide between these cars.

1)Evora S
2)GT R
3)911 turbo 997 (2008 -09)

Anyone also look at these cars? Why did you choose the Evora?

1) I've been reading posts on here for a while, and it seems people are having their fair share of issues. Like the pillers cracking in the sun, and other issue's. How would you rate the build quality 1-10?

2) I would want/need more power. Does anyone make headers/exhaust/CAI for the S? I've seen a few NA options.

3) Maintance costs. Are these higher like AMG, Porsche? Or slightly cheaper like Vette's and american sports cars?

and finally, any regrets with your lotus?

One final thing that worries me is I only have 1 lotus dealer that can do work on it in my state (colorado) so, if I didn't like the owners, or employees were rude I'd be stuck. That's also a concern for me.

thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
The GT-R is horrendously ugly to me, and piggish (at nearly 4k lbs). So it was never a consideration for me.

Carrera S is solid, no doubt. But it isn't nearly as sexy as the Evora, and to me seems less inspiring. Lotus is an ethos, not just a car company. Plus, with the Evora you are getting a hand built quasi-super-car with a <1500/yr production run - for < $90k. A bargain in my book.

1) If my two Audis ranked 10 on build quality, I'd rate the Evora at 8 . . . But let me get back to you in 30k miles :)
2) this may be a problem due to the extremely low number of S models in the wild. Small market for manufacturers to target.
3) The costs seem to be lower than Porsche, but I cannot quantify that.

ZERO regrets. I want to buy another one to put in storage for use when this one wears out :D

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I think you have to compare build-quality to other first-year-model cars. Comparing the Evora S to a 911 that's been in production for decades longer isn't fair.

I would say the Evora's build quality is average to above-average compared to other first-year models. As to repair costs, most of us are still in the warranty phase, and I'm not sure there's enough experience with this to reach a valid conclusion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the replies. The GT R isn't the most sexy, but it's twin turbo v6 is a beast. I wish the S model came with 400 bhp tbh. I would love to order one, but the lotus dealer here doesnt have the "S" model. And the lack of HP is the only downside to me at the moment. Decisions decisions

Does the small dealer network scare any of you? If I bought a AMG - I could choose from 2-3 different dealers. Being married to one is troublesome.

I agree the lotus does look better. But i'm kinda worried it's all show, no go.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Going just at ego here
Pull into any parking lot with an Evora next to a 911. In my experience everyone will circle the Lotus.
I feel the Lotus has good build quality. Compared to other exotics I feel the lotus has superior build quality. looking at the Italia that was in the showroom with my Evora the Evora had better shot lines.
so far i have only had minor problems with my car (MY2011) no worse than the 370Z i came from.
never drove the GT-R, but hear it is a great car, but I agree with others, just kinda ugly.
As far as bang for the buck I do not think you will beat the Evora.
the 911 and the GT-R are great cars. i do not think you would go wrong with either, but on this forum I'm pretty sure most will tell you to go for the Evora.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You have to drive them.

For the same total $$'s, the Evora will never slam you back in your seat like the GT-R. On the other hand, the GT-R will never feel as nimble.

The 911 may represent the most developed total package of the 3, but they're everywhere, and IMHO, are getting away from the "Track on Sunday, Office on Monday" ethos that seems to run deeper in Hethel. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
You have to drive them.

For the same total $$'s, the Evora will never slam you back in your seat like the GT-R. On the other hand, the GT-R will never feel as nimble.

The 911 may represent the most developed total package of the 3, but they're everywhere, and IMHO, are getting away from the "Track on Sunday, Office on Monday" ethos that seems to run deeper in Hethel. YMMV.
When I bought the Evora, the GT-R was on my shopping list. It was very fast. That's all that I came away with. Oh, and that it's butt ugly.

The Evora on the other hand was plenty fast (fast enough to get me in trouble), gorgeous, exclusive, and most importantly, handled like no other car I've ever driven. Was not back-breaking like the Elise, yet was equally nimble and quite torquey by comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
2) I would want/need more power. Does anyone make headers/exhaust/CAI for the S? I've seen a few NA options.

2bular is working on a SS large diameter Header-Downpipe-Metallic Sports Cat system for the Evora S, which should be available soon. See the 2bular N/A Evora Exhaust Headers thread.

Radium is working on a CAI for the Evora S. See the Radium CAI thread.

Kold-Fire can do an ECU tune for the S.

The combination of these upgrades on the S should greatly increase the Torque and HP.

·
Registered
396 Posts
But i'm kinda worried it's all show, no go.
You can say a lot of things about Lotus, but I don't think this is one of them. Lotus cars "go" where it matters.

Also, let's not forget, of the 3 you are considering, the Evora is the only one with the engine in the proper location ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

2bular is working on a SS large diameter Header-Downpipe-Metallic Sports Cat system for the Evora S, which should be available soon. See the 2bular N/A Evora Exhaust Headers thread.

Radium is working on a CAI for the Evora S. See the Radium CAI thread.

Kold-Fire can do an ECU tune for the S.

The combination of these upgrades on the S should greatly increase the Torque and HP.

What's the max HP+Torque that the tranny can handle? Also, i've read review people hated the manual gearbox in 2010, did they improve anything for the 2011? I'll e-mail these shops thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
What's the max HP+Torque that the tranny can handle? Also, i've read review people hated the manual gearbox in 2010, did they improve anything for the 2011? I'll e-mail these shops thanks
Wellhungsmurf: The question above makes me wonder if you would be happy with the Lotus. The Evora-S should not be compared to a 997-Turbo & GTR. I feel a Cayman-S or a 911 S is a better comparison. My thoughts below and I have owned the cars you are trying to decide to purchase.

GTR: Boy racer very heavy extremely fast and easy to upgrade. I like the look of the car other than the front end. It’s easy to drive fast you feel the weight around the track and the electronics and all-wheel drive dose all the work for you (Less engaging). Only have a few select Nissan dealers that can service the car. I was bored after 5 months of ownership then sold it.
997 Turbo: German quality. Extremely fast expensive to upgrade & service. Each generation gets less engaging and the electronics and all-wheel drive dose all the work for you (Less engaging). IMO At this time the GT3-RS is one of the best pure P-cars. Depending were you live plenty of dealers and service centers to work on the car. Sold it after a year of ownership. It did everything perfectly so for me it was not engaging enough.

If you want strait line speed and power the Evora S cant compete with a GTR & P-Turbo.
Good Luck in the end its your choice. Try to test drive all 3 cars on the same day it will help narrow your choices.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The tranny is an Aisin BG6, a high torque model used by at least a couple dozen cars and SUVs. As far as I was able to find, it is said to be rated at 332ft lbs torque.

It's not the best shifting tranny, but over time, it gets better. As far as I know, no changes have been made to the 6-speed manual gearbox. It seems the Evora owners weren't the only people with problems with this gearbox. I read lots of complaints from RAV4 owners regarding the tranny also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tranny is an Aisin BG6, a high torque model used by at least a couple dozen cars and SUVs. As far as I was able to find, it is said to be rated at 332ft lbs torque.

It's not the best shifting tranny, but over time, it gets better. As far as I know, no changes have been made to the 6-speed manual gearbox. It seems the Evora owners weren't the only people with problems with this gearbox. I read lots of complaints from RAV4 owners regarding the tranny also.
thanks for the info, i'm assuming headers, cai and exhuast +chip would be darn near it's full potential of the tranny and clutch then.. Kinda scary

@ fasttoys: I LOVE the looks of it, and the S version seems like decent power. I would just like maybe 400 out of it, and 330 lt lbs of torque. If I could achieve this, the lotus would make me very happy.

About costs to repair, I know more Evora's are under warranty, but are parts hard to find in the US due to it's limited number?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
400bhp with a bit of modding is doable.

I was at 270 with the Radium CAI and Exhaust mods on the N/A version. I have since gotten it tuned by Kold-Fire and will be getting another Dyno run asap and will post new numbers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
400bhp with a bit of modding is doable.

I was at 270 with the Radium CAI and Exhaust mods on the N/A version. I have since gotten it tuned by Kold-Fire and will be getting another Dyno run asap and will post new numbers.
please do post numbers!

Another dumb question. I saw pics of a member installing a full exhaust, and they took the clam off to do it. Is that necessary to do a full header exhaust system? If so I think that would make it quite expensive

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
agree with some of the comments here. I went through a similar exercise. At the end, I got the Evora and am happy with the car itself.

The Evora has a different philosophy to most current sport(y)s cars. It is the classical light weight, canyon carving machine, the others are about pummeling the road to submission with a combination of brute force and technology. If you are hooked on the GT-R launch control then it is better to just get it rather than try to make the Evora go faster. 0-60 is not the Evora's purpose - even though it can run decent numbers. Look at Evora power upgrades as a bonus to its character, not a deficiency to get it to par with the GT-R or the Turbo.

I would google/read for Evo magazine's reviews as they have a pretty good write up on the topic - esp the recent issue with the 991. Power is just a number .. test drive the Evora and see if you "feel" you need more power. If you find yourself drawn to specs, numbers, times by a 10th then the Evora is not the right car. If you find your self falling love with the way it handles and communicates with you and you are just enjoying the drive, then get the Evora.

Also check out the local dealer. There are niggles with these cars, so expect to spend some time there, and make sure you are happy with their policies esp if you don't buy the car from them. Dealer support is inconsistent and depends on the dealer's discretion compared to Porsche or even Nissan where the factory mandates a certain level of service to their premium customers. It can be shocking coming from other premium cars like Porsche, AMG etc - curious how Lotus can even think of going upmarket from the evora.

Net net, If you are looking for a pure sports car experience, it is impossible to beat the Evora. But if you want power, luxury, push button comfort and consistent premium ownership experience then Lotus not there yet.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Where I have no direct experience with any of the cars stated, I did hear something that I thought should be shared. I race with a lady in our club that owns one of the first generation GT-Rs, and she shared something with me that personally speaking completely turned me away from every considering the GT-R, other than it's shear mass.

Her transmission went out about year ago in the middle of a run, the car was still under warranty and Nissan was great to work with. The downfall was that she was informed that the cost of the repairs that were done was upwards of about $25k, because the transmission had to be pulled from the car, shipped to Japan, repaired there, and then shipped back. She was out of a car for almost a month or longer. The reason was because the mechanics in Japan do not want to "share" their information with the rest of the world.

So another thing to keep in mind I guess, is upkeep in the long run, if you plan keeping the car beyond the warranty period.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts